I Need A New Cheap DVD Player

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

My old one hit the shits when it failed to play Ray in the first scene of the movie :wtc:

I was looking at Pioneer and Panasonic. Could somebody recommend me a cheap DVD player around 100-175 dollar range? (I never see the point in spending much on DVD players, I just have a 36 inch television)

Try to recommend me something with good bang for buck.

(I dont know much about DVD players as far as brand quality or where to buy them.)

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you watch divx, then grab one that supports it. Otherwise, something with the hookups you need (component if you can use it) and the proper audio outputs (rca/digital/optical). Otherwise they're pretty much the same. I'd get a progressive player, although it won't really matter unless your TV supports it.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

4. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

Get a Philips DVP642 should cost ~$60 and it will play anything including divx files right off a cd/dvd.

5. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Our Philips set-top DVD recorder fucked out after six months, and can no longer read, only write. And their support isn't worth SHIT.

The first Philips we had would record coasters, even a firmware upgrade didn't fix it. We returned it and got this one, which also started to suck balls.

Toshiba makes good -$100 DVD players.

6. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

If you were to go that route might as well get a modified Xbox for ~$20 more and at leat you could stream video off the network.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I have a PS2, its starting to take a shit as well and I dont game like I used to anymore so yeah.

I dont even need DivX support, thats what my computer is for ;)

The only features I really care about are MP3 reading and Progressive Scan. I am already pretty set on the pioneer so yeah.

My other DVD player was a DVD-VHS combo by Govideo it plays DVDs but its all grainy and whatnot and blah I dont have time to fix that.

In my parents living room they have a Toshiba DVD player, works good.

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Hmm I guess I do not need one anymore, I had this really bad picture from my old one, so I unhook like 5 monster audio cables from the back and the pictures goes to perfectly clear.

wtf, oh well it saves me money.

9. threeclaws

threeclaws R.I.P.

:coold: If nothing else it got rid of some monster cables :mamoru: