GUN I need a knife for camping and hiking

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Marmot, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Marmot

Marmot Guest

I need a knife to carry on overnight hiking and camping trips. I'm not sure what styles or brands to look at. I used my old one for all kinds of stuff. Lots of cooking type duties, spreading peanut butter, carving up small sticks for fire starters, cutting rope (and a few times cutting webbing), cutting up plants, cutting through small plant roots, digging out root bulbs on plants, etc. Lightweight is always good. Not sure on blade length, but no more than 3". I like folders. Not sure if I need a plain or half plain, half serrated. What are the pros and cons of each? It has to hold a great edge for a long time. I'm not sure on my price range. Probably under $100 :hs:

I lost my CRKT Clippoint that I've had for 3 years. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't too good. It didn't hold too good of an edge and I didn't know how to properly sharpen it. Quality was middle of the road.

2. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Cold Steel makes some great knives for the money, I like my Master Hunter and Gunsite II.

3. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

if you buy a cold steel, buy a plain edge and not a serrated, there are reports of the "teeth" falling off because of the extreme angle cold steel cuts them at

4. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I had a first generation Recon-1 that was half serrated/half straight edge with a tanto point (it was a "this looks cool" purchase). It was a very sharp knife but the teeth werent designed to cut anything besides rope or cardboard; I learned this after my friend sheared some of them off trying to cut open a walnut :greddy:

5. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

Benchmade Griptillian

Great knife. Not expensive. EASY one hand open and close.

6. Marmot

Marmot Guest

Not that anyone really cares, but I picked up a Kershaw Leek serrated 3" for $45 at Walmart. I'm happy with it so far.
    Light, thin, good blade, and great opening mechanism.

7. JwM

JwM Guest

I <3 my 551 Griptillian. best knife purchase ever IMO.