GUN I need a good knife and multi-tool for work

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DrewDown, Jun 25, 2008.

1. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

I'm a firefighter and my Captain recommended I get a good knife and mulitool for work.

I got this one as a gift but I have the reciept in case I wanna take it back. What do you all think?

http://www.swissarmy.com/MultiTools/Pages/Product.aspx?category=lockblades&product=53900&

[​IMG]

As far as a knife I don't know where to start but I don't mind spending some money. I know this is very broad but hopefully you guys can steer me in the right direction. :x:

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The entry level benchmades and cold steel knives are pretty good. $30-$50 gets you a lot of knife. Something that you'll use like a tool.

For multi tools I like the gerbers, but there are a lot of leatherman whores out there too. My only criteria for a multi tools is that everything has to lock out. Since I'm mostly working of gun stuff than say car stuff I like the needle nose pliars vrs the fat nut twisters.

3. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Thanks for the advice. I think the local Sportsmans Wharehouse has some nice benchmades. I will check them out. Also gonna look at their multi tools. The one I have has a lot of features and boasts that knife of the year award but for some reason after handling it, I'm not real impressed. Seems kinda flimsy and the blades seem like they would dull up real fast. :dunno:

4. I don't have any experience with SOG multi-tools, but I love their knives. There's not much to say about a knife, but SOG makes some really quality stuff, and their customer service is great.

5. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I carry a Benchmade 10210S and a Leatherman Wave. The 10210S is an inexpensive model compared to the rest of their lineup, but the quality is still there. I have a habit of losing knives so I'm staying cheap now :hs: My leatherman has been flawless since I got it in 2001. I wont buy anything else, but at this rate I wont have to. I dont carry that everyday though and you have a job where you could use it everyday so YMMV.

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

I would separate the two. Focus on a multi-tool that has tools that are usable and easy to access. Also get a knife that is a good, solid knife that will cut what you need it to cut. Rope/webbing being one of those things, strongly consider a partially serrated knife.

7. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Benchmade Griptilian
    Leatherman Wave

8. sprite

sprite Active Member

I saw the promo video of that Victorinox "Rescue Tool" and it was impressive to say the least.

The Leatherman tools are good, but the owner the founder/owner of the company is an anti. I'd give my money to SOG or Gerber for a multi-tool.

9. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

get a SOG. there is a guy on OT who sells them for good prices. Just got one from him, and I've been a Leatherman guy for years.

The SOG is a bit bigger than the Leatherman I have, but it's heavy duty. fucking can cut a penny in half, because it has these special gears at the joints.

pretty nice tool for $75 shipped

10. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

That swiss one isnt gonna be easy to open with gloves on. Plus those screwdrivers suck, when you actually try to use it it just folds up. I dont even think those blades and tools lock in place.

At work I carry a Leatherman supertool, its worked well for me on every extrication I've done. I just carry a kershaw blur in my pocket, works well enough for seatbelts or anything else I've needed it for.

I also carry a Benchmade ERT-1. Busted out quite a few windows and cut plenty of seatbelts with it, but the thing I use the most is the LED light for checking pupils.

You're probably not gonna be cutting lots of ropes or webbing, but do think about wiring in cars/buildings, clothing, seatbelts, and your every day thing. Having a blade with a blunt tip can help, but I think it limits its versatility. I usually just use my shears to start a tear and then rip the clothes off when I'm taking clothes off a patient.

Gerber or someone makes a cool one that has a blunt tip blade with semi-serration, seatbelt cutter, carbide window breaker, and an oxygen tank wrench that definitely comes in handy.

I'd just go to as many knife shops as you can and feel 'em out, see what fits you best.

11. If you're going to be cutting rope and webbing, the SOG Trident is pretty cool.

[​IMG]

12. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

Link? What I dislike most about it is no pliers. :wtc:

Alright I just came back from Sportsmans with a SOG Pentagon Elite. I liked it a lot better than the Benchmade Griptilian I was checkin out. This thing is sooo smooth. I paid 108 out the door for it but I kept my reciept because I have a feeling I may be able to save a good chunk of change.

[​IMG]

That sucks that the leatherman owner is Anti. They had something called the leatherman Skeletool which I liked. Just had the essentials and had it's own clip. I don't know if I'd actually use some of the other stuff on the Victorinox. I know a lot of people just carry a cheap center punch in their turnout pockets, but we have plenty of tools on the engine. Plus I think a normal knife would be fine for cutting seatbelts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I'd really like to check out some of the SOG multi tools. Any more input? I really appreciate the help so far.

13. DrewDown

DrewDown OT Supporter

That's kinda what I was thinking. The blades do lock though.

Yeah I saw that when I was at Sportsmans. May be good thing to get and keep in a Turnout pocket since we always wear our turnouts during extracations.

Benchmade has their "rescue hook" which looked pretty cool.

Thanks a lot for your input TwoGuns!

14. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

For that much, you could have gotten a Benchmade 710. It's very similar to the Pentagon Elite, but much better IMO. I carry one daily and love it.

http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=205

15. sprite

sprite Active Member

16. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

SOG Trident or if you don't need a fixed blade get the Benchmade ERT-1

Oh, and one of the guys I volunteer with has a gerber rescue that he likes.

17. footratfunkface

The Benchmade Rescue Hook really works awesome on clothing when you're clearing someone with a serious trauma. It's like having a zipper wherever you want. Works great on denim, even across the seams. It is a pretty specialized tool, though.

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Glad to see my "Tim Leatherman is a huge cunt" posts have been paying off :bigthumb:

I used a Schrade Tough Tool in the sandbox, but lost it the first fucking day in Iraq. :mad: I had a buddy give me a Gerber replacement, so I never bought another one, but I liked it better than the Gerber. The other, which I can't seem to find anymore is a Vice Grips wide mouth multi, with a drop point blade, a single bevel blade with a wire stripper, and a 1/4" hex drive.
    Shit, I can't even find a picture of something similar on line. :eek3:

For a knife, a Buck Strider. A hellacious tool that will stand up to hard use.

[​IMG]

For the multi, either the Tough Tool:

[​IMG]

or the SOG:

[​IMG]

If you go the SOG route, make sure you get the power plier with the shields over the tools. They keep the frame from diggin into your hands when you're torquing the shit out of something... the reason the early Leatherman's blew ass.

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I think you're better off with a traditional folding pocket knife and then a multi-tool on your belt.

I think most of the "black" series benchmades will serve you well. Axis lock > *. I have a Presidio and absolutely love it.

As for multi-tool, I wouldn't know what to recommend for you. I have a Gerber Suspension that I usually keep on me. Overall I am very happy with it... but it's not something I use in daily life/death situations so I'm sure you can find something better for your needs.

20. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

What's the name of the OTer that gets deals on SOG?

21. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

I've had 'em bind up on clothes and seatbelts a few times, even when it was new. Usually just end up using my shears.

22. I wish I got deals on SOG. I live 5 minutes from the factory. You can find some pretty good deals online though.

23. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I think the nerd in me is taking over. THat Kilowat SOG looks pretty badass :o

25. footratfunkface

Hmm. I wonder if they changed anything from model to model. I had one of the little black ones with the O2 key in it. Lost it at a class. I guess if stuff bunched up, or was just too thick to fit in the slot it definitely wouldn't cut. I never had a problem with mine.