A&P I need a camera to back up my G2. suggestions please

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SnYpR808, Dec 11, 2003.

1. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

I've had a canon G2 for the past year or so, and I love it. Great camera and the picture quality is awesome. However, I need something more portable and faster. The shutter delay with the G2 makes taking action shots difficult. I want something that I can keep in my pocket, that doesn't have as much of a delay and can take decent action shots. I like canons, would any of the elphs meet my needs? The camera doesn't need to be a 4 megapixel, 3.2 would suffice. I was also looking at the Sony Powershot DSC U-30 but it's only 2 megapixels, the quality wasn't that great and I don't need something THAT small. Any help you photography gurus could give me would be appreciated.

2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

all "point and shoot" cameras have shutter lag

and a DSLR won't fit in your pocket :o

3. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

Any consumer camera with autofocus is going to have pretty bad shutter delay.

What you have to do is focus your shot and use the camera's focus lock feature (pressing the shutter release halfway down) and preparing the shot, then depressing the button completely when you want to take the photo.

When taking action photos of moving objects, it means pointing the camera at another stationary object the same distance as the eventual subject will be from the camera.

4. mojito

mojito New Member

casio exilm's, minolta dimage x20 or xt, or just replace the g2 with the panasonic dmc-fz10. fastest shutter on a point and shoot, 12x optical zoom, image stabilized leica lens, 4-8 frame burst mode. Its pretty sick.

5. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

thanks for the input. Actually, portability is more important to me than speed. I'd really like to stick with Canons though. My friend bought a nikon coolpix (i'm not sure what model) and it sucks compared to my G2. I think i've got it narrowed down to 2 models. The Canon SD100 or the Canon S230. Both 3.2 megapixels and both are elphs. I'm not sure exactly what the difference is between the two aside from the use of different memory cards. The specs look identical to me. Anyone know?

6. MastaCow

MastaCow I love cup.

I've been eyeing the new Canon SD10. 0.7 inches thick and 4 mp.

fixed lens, but that's my bag anyhow. Zoom lenses make us lazy photographers.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

casio ex-z4u. increadible little guy at 4mp, 3x optical zoom and a 2" lcd. Olympus stylus 300/400 are great. Minolta dimage xt as well

8. SnYpR808

SnYpR808 Guest

Thank you all for your input. I picked up a Canon SD10 today. It was a real bitch to find locally (most places that didn't specialize in cameras said they were reluctant to bring in any cameras that didn't have a optical zoom). Anyway, I got one in bronze. So far I'm really happy with the quality of the images, and even happier with the small size. The case it came with has a velcro strap to loop around your belt so it's as easy to carry as most cell phones. Great little thing to have for just going out. I tried taking photos with it at a wrestling tournament today but maybe 2 of them came out not f*cked up. I have to play with the settings I guess. Set the shutter speed and such to suit the conditions. If i get some good shots i'll be sure to post them up later on.