GUN I might be getting a 1911 I need some suggestions!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fst89lx, Oct 29, 2002.

1. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

Ok, this is a little bit bittersweet for me because the money that I am going to use to buy this gun was supposed to go into my '89 stang BUT we are supposed to get snow before halloween here and my baby doesn't know what salt is so there is no rush to get her done now :(

so with that out of the way, I am looking to get myself a new 1911 style handgun. The only 1911 I have shot is my dads Kimber custom II. I think its a damn good gun, but I am wondering if there are any other 1911's out there that cost around the same $$ (650) that are comparable to it.

Thanks!

2. taco

taco Guest

I have heard good things about kimber and springfield armory. I have heard bad things about para ordnance.

I am by no means a 1911 expert, but those seem to be the general opinions out there. You can't go wrong with either a springfield or a kimber.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

when i win the lottery, i'll check out a few wilson combat 1911's. i'm wondering how they and the rock river 1911's are. anyone know if they're even close to worth the price? my friend got a springfield 1911 not too long ago, and i love it. it's the only pistol i shoot better righty than lefty. and from what i've heard, there's as good a chance of getting a good springfield as there is getting a less good one. i don't think any of them are shit, but the accuracy of some compared to others leaves something to be desired. it's just a matter of inconsistent production. my buddy bought his only slightly used, and fired it a bunch before he bought it, though, which you won't be able to do with a new one.

4. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I think I am probably going to wind up w/ a kimber custom II stainless. seems to be teh best i can get in the price range.

god I would love to get a STI trojan or a wilson CQB but i don't have $1200+ :(

5. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

Kimbers are really nice. I shot a kimber custom today and I am so accurate with those guns as compare to my duty pistol ( a DAO sig p226). With my duty pistol I can easily shoot in the 90's or better for a qualification course, but my groups suck even at 7yds (because of the double action trigger), but todat with the kimber, at 7 yds, and firing quickly, my shots were pretty much all touching. One ragged hole every magazine.

I would like to get some kind of custom 1911, but I have to buymy WRX, my R6 and all kinds of other shit in the near future. I am definately buying one of the Kimber eclipse models, either the custom or the pro carry. Beautiful guns :bigthumb:

6. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

Kimber or Springfield armory are the way to go. My next gun will be a SA .45

7. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

I am going to look around and see which one can be had cheaper in a stainless model.

I think the kimber is somewhere around $750 but I have no idea on the S.A.

8. Jefferson Darcy

Jefferson Darcy Ol' shit chest

I think I might go for a Les Baer custom, either the Premeir II stainless or the Concept VI. They are about double the price of what you are looking at tho...

The other thing is both guns are the same price and stainless. Other than one has fixed sights and the other has adjustable (and the Concept V is the same as the VI but has adjustable sights, like the premeir), I have no idea what the difference is :confused:

9. Bdog

Bdog ...but do I really care?

For the money I would get a Springfield Armory 1911 w/ the load package. They are around $550 and they are sweet right out of the box. I have owned both makes in different styles and shot all kinds of 1911's and like the Springfields alot. Get the SA over the Kimber and save you some money to put in your stang.

10. Ktulu

Ktulu Guest

I have heard great things from a 1911 fanatic about wilson and kimber. He has also made a few from parts. Maybe you might consider that.

11. blue meanie

blue meanie Guest

kimber custom target II thats what i use

12. fst89lx

fst89lx Member

the target model costs too much $$ for me. I am going to look into the springfield and see what i can get it for, On springfields site it says its like 800+ for the stainless loaded model, its only 550 for the parkerized Mil Spec model.

13. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Least i've seen the stainless Loaded going for has been ~$650 new, average seems to be closer to $700.