I might be buying an 06 Titan in few days... advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jujharoo, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I don't know much about trucks, never owned one.
    But need a truck to haul my bike/car back n forth to the track, wouldn't drive it much otherwise. I want a 4x4 because it snows A LOT here in winter, probably would come in handy at some point.

So I am getting a decent deal on an 06 4x4 Titan w/Off road package. I don't know how these trucks are compared to others, but I test drove one, liked it and it has plenty of towing capacity.

Anyway just wanted to know if there is anything I should be aware of about these trucks?

BTW I have also test driven almost all trucks... F150, Silverado, RAM, Tundra, but so far I am leaning towards Titans. I was gonna buy a new one but this second hand is reasonably priced, so I will probably pick it up before a new one.

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

3. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Whats about it?

4. GammaRadiation

Not as good as Chevy and Ford....no where near as good.

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

If you need a REAL truck, get something American. Aside from the Toyota Hilux, which even that isn't meant for towing huge loads, Jap trucks are nowhere near as durable or capable.

And just to point out.... Nissan is dropping the truck market soon altogether, and for good reason. They KNOW they can't compete with Detroit iron.

6. GammaRadiation

Toyota has been owning the small and midsized truck market for a long time running. Their (asian) full size trucks just dont have the frames and suspension to keep up with detroit in towing and hauling.

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Exactly my point in mentioning the Hilux. Those fucking rule. But anything else from the Asian marketplace you won't find me within 10 feet of.

8. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I hear you, but I don't think I would be doing anything that would put stress on the frame. I mean car and the trailer that I would be hauling wouldn't weigh no more than 5000 LBS.

Also, local dealer quoted me at $36,xxx for a Silverado 2500. And Dodge Ram w/Hemi engine at $29,xxx. I don't think I would pay anywhere near those prices.

9. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

I careless what others think of it. I just want something that serves the purpose.

10. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

The Titan is a good truck and will serve the purpose you want it to. It wont have a problem towing the car and trailer and has plenty of room inside.

Buy what you like! Every person has their opinion of what's better and worse, however each truck has a benefit and a cost.

However....you could probably find a cheap dodge ram 1500 w/ the Hemi right now. I saw one in the paper for $18,999 and it was 4x4 (two weekends ago). I saw just a reg cab ram hemi for $15,000 in the paper this weekend.

do some searching and find a good deal. are you trading anything in for it?

11. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

Sierra/Silverado >* End of story

12. GammaRadiation

1.) Why were you looking at a 2500 silverado?

2.) http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/63592-nissan-titan-frame-problem.html

[​IMG]

Hauling 6-7000lbs over some speed bumps.

Fact of the matter is, Nissan rates their truck to pull 9500 lbs...which it has the power and torque to do and the frame can handle it as long as you are quite careful over bumps.

:werd: only GMC. :big grin:

13. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

^ :rofl: what a fucking pile of shit.

unless its just gonna be a mommy grocery getter, get a real truck... a ford, dodge or chevy/gmc, take your pick man

14. Kortiz-DZ

Kortiz-DZ Resident Nigerian Lipper OT Supporter

I own an 06 Titan. Love it.

It will tow what you want it to and for the money - you can't beat it.

Every truck has its case of failures. We aren't talking about the reliability of a Xbox 360 here...

Every time I sit in my truck - I feel powerful. The engine acts as an exhaust system. It's just loud. I love it.

I'm a homer, but I owned a Ford F150 before this truck. You cannot go wrong with anything out there...but if you have your eyes on a Titan - go for it. I did and could not be happier. To push one vehicle over another at this point is ridiculous - for trucks especially. If the vehicle does what you want it to - you shouldn't have any issues unless the truck has been ridden hard and been poorly maintained.

15. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

16. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Yes, I am still looking, I won't need the truck until summer, so no rush. Yes I have looked into local dealers for used ones (Dodge dealer didn't have anything), nothing too interesting yet.

I would be buying it cash, no trades. If I purchase a new one, I might finance some of it.

Thats how I feel about it too. At the price I can't find anything that would compare. Not just that I really do like the way it drives.

Anyway I was quoted for a new one today. They wanna get their 2 last 08s at the dealer ship, $21,000 even for king cab 4x4 SE

17. 213

213 New Member

:rofl:

18. GammaRadiation

:hsugh:

Nissan wouldnt be contemplating dropping out of the full sized truck market if their trucks compared to Detroit. People who buy trucks to use them as trucks buy the best truck for the job. There are the few who always stick to chevy, dodge, or ford, but most get what will town, haul, or get to the job site best. The F series is still the best selling vehicle and the silverado comming in close behind because a lot of its sales are to people who work construction and have things they need to tow and haul.

19. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

I would suggest a domestic truck for durability reasons but if you do go import just budget for repairs in the purchase price. Domestics are sold in such masses and have parts interchangeability which drops part prices both oem, aftermarket, and used. I would just buy the Chevy or Dodge considering they have good trucks and this market makes them affordable new.

20. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

Good point.

21. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

:eek3: get something american ive heard not so great things about the tundra as well

22. Bitter Moose

Bitter Moose OT Supporter

The Titan is a good truck. Ford/GM/Dodge have their fair share of downfalls. I owned a Titan for a few years. I actually miss the damn thing. If it's only possible flaw occurs when you're towing 7,000 lbs; that's not a big deal. Unless you really need to tow that much, I'd still buy the truck.

23. GammaRadiation

He said he was hauling a car and a bike to the track. A 2000lb tandem axle trailer plus a 3500lb car plus a 500lb bike and 500lbs of tools and extra fuel... It's getting on the heavy end.

If it is just for light-medium hauling and towing, the engine is fantastic.

24. bursty

bursty New Member

25. bursty

bursty New Member

No need for a 2500. I picked up my 04 Silverado 1500 5.3L 4WD with 24k miles for $14k. Plenty of power to tow a car/trailer and awesome in the snow.