I might be a new rider soon...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Shogun, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Shogun

Shogun Turntable tactician

with all of the gas prices getting worse and worse, im really thinking about getting a sportbike. What kind of first bike do you guys recommend, and armor and such. I hope im not signing my life away at this point...

2. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

first off, we don't recomend a sport bike as your first bike. They are twitchy and very fast. They require a smooth, steady hand and a new rider rarely has them.

Pick something a little older and learn safely.

Your gear should include the following.
    DOT approved helmet
    a riding jacket. Textile is cooler and less expensive. Leather is tougher and withstands nasty wrecks better. Its hot and expensive though.
    riding gloves, preferably with armored wrist protection.
    riding pants. Icon makes some great riding jeans that have extra denim and armor in key areas.
    Boots. Riding boots and shoes are the best, but a good sturdy leather boot with steel toes will provide decent protection. The only thing they don't usually give is ankle support. Boots or shoes actually built for riding help guard against broken ankles.

3. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

also dont get a sportbike because of gas prices.... my honda 600rr gets about 30-35mpg... my civic gets about the same, maybe a lil more on the highway... a TDI or hybrid would get even more.

4. ecofire

ecofire Member

A sportbike is definetely not a good choice for a new biker. Get something like a 500 to 800 cc cruiser. Also if you want to get into riding just for fun on the weekends, I suggest getting maybe late 90's harley. I get 48 mpg on my 2002 lowrider.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

on the tamer 600s and the 500 bikes i see people reporting 40+ when they are riding conservatively, and if u drive something that is doing 12-15mpg (like my car) even 35 looks pretty good. I plan to get something like a 500 next year for general commuting

6. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

I got a 200cc scooter, plenty fast for the freeway (tops out over 80), and gets 60-65 mpg. Planning on moving up to a real bike eventually, probably a Suzuki V-Strom DL650. Not really looking for a sportbike, I'll get myself into too much trouble with one of those. I want something that's fun, fast, and has around-town utility for small errands and what-not.

7. Joe89

Joe89 New Member

yea but your honduh is also slow:greddy:

8. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

First off, this forum doesn't deal with slow vehicles. Go troll somewhere else if all you're gonna say is something stupid.

He was making a valid point that most sportbikes are not designed with fuel mileage in mind. They are fast machines that are not at all shy about slurping fuel.
    A lower revving powerplant would probably be more friendly towards the wallet. Even an older 4-cyl bike would do better.

9. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

if you have never been on a bike 250 Ninja do it

10. Imagine

Imagine New Member

600cc sportbikes are capable of 45+mpg with a very conservative driver. I have a few friends that have done it. However, they still arent great beginner bikes.

Look into a GS500 or Ninja 500R. The SV650 is also another decent bike, and the new Ninja 650R maybe another option.

How much are you looking to spend? I would highly recommend taking the MSF coarse.

As for gear... Get a full face helmet (DOT and SNELL approved) and as much hear as you can afford. Boots, pants, gloves, jacket..

11. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

yeah but then wahts the point?

its like a guy concerned with gas mileage getting a porsche and then not revving past 3k rpm to try and save gas.... the whole reason to get a sportbike is to go canyon carving/track riding with the needle at 15k rpm and your knee 1 inch from the pavement

12. Imagine

Imagine New Member

The point is, when you want or need the power it's there. I don't run the piss out of my bikes every time I get on them, but you never know when your going to need that extra power to get yourself out of a sticky situation.

I commute on my motorcycles, so balls to the wall isn't always the best idea. Atleast not if I want to live to see tomorrow. Just for the record, I don't own a Race-Rep. I don't really see the point in them for most street riding either.

13. Shogun

Shogun Turntable tactician

i really want a sportbike, not necessarily to go balls out on freeways, you dont need to be going over the s.l. to have fun, i just want to be able to buckle down and carve into a turn, go up through the canyons and have a good time

14. fėnrir

fėnrir New Member

well in your first post you said you wanted a bike because of gas prices

15. Frequency

Frequency New Member

and before you do any of that you need to be able to handle a smaller bike

16. Tom93R1

Tom93R1 Member

Dont get a bike if your reason is fuel economy. Not only is the fuel economy not all that wonderful compared to economy cars, but it will take years (if ever) to break even on cost of the bike, gear, insurance, licensing.

Motorcycling is something you do because you enjoy it, you ride because you get a thrill or rush out of it. A motorcycle is not a substitute for a car. Get one if you want to ride, not because you want another 10mpg.

17. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Indeed, I could careless what kind of mileage I'm getting out of my bikes. Chances are though, once you buy the bike (even if it is for the fuel economy excuse) You'll probably end up loving it and will forget about stupid stuff like the price of gas because your having to much fun.

I definately would NOT want a bike as my only means of transportation though. Primary yes, only... No.

18. BlMMERGUY

BlMMERGUY New Member

first off, the dude with the cbr, 30-35? i only get 30 when i ride an entire day like a maniac. When i was breaking in my r6, i got 45 maybe more cuz i would be shifting about 5-6 grand (the start of the powerband). the two guys above are right, get a bike cuz you want to ride. dont get a bike cuz your H2 gets 13street/14highway. if youre scared shitless of bikes, get a 600, hell get a 1000! its all in your head. you disrespect either one, it'll leave you dead on the freeway. on the other hand, you ride at all times within your limits and you'll have no problem learning. i have two buddies that actually started on fairly new 1000's and theyre pretty good now. i think they learned a little slower than most but they had their heads strait. I would recommend a 600 if youre going that route. Theyre civilized at low rpms but when you get better, the high rpms will entertain no doubt. in essence, you wont get bored after a month and want to trade your scooter in.

19. Frequency

Frequency New Member

um no, no no and no...its not really the size of the bike on why people are told to start small its the forgiveness.
    On a small bike you can hone your skills quickly and begin to push yourself with little fear that on a mistake you will wreck hard.
    The newer 600s have twitchy throttles especially yamaha. a rider never before having been on a bike has yet to develop throttle control to keep that little extra twist of your wrist from sending you forward out of control.
    Also when put in an emergency situation you will not know how to properly execute the handling of your bike. One only gets bored of a 600 right away if they are into biking for the image of lookign cool and straight line speed.
    The learning curve on a newer sport bike is much greater than if you would start small get used to 2 wheels and then move up.

20. BlMMERGUY

BlMMERGUY New Member

i see all of your points and theyre valid. i still think its not a bad idea because when you learn on a 600cc, you know the twist will make it go. if you learn on a 250 ninja,("oh god i hope this is a long enough onramp to get to 60") the throttle is numbing and i could see that person more likely accidentally forgetting the power is there.
    I know the yam is a little clumbsy in the low speed corners, but its also very forgiving to emergency decel if you come in too hot and doesnt need an anchor to swing in low and aggressive.
    I guess i should have added a fair amount of coordination. doesnt hurt to take the MSF either.