I may have fucked up :( - disk partitioning question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jazz, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

I decided to make this comp an HTPC so I went in and deleted all the Linux partitions using windows disk management and made it a single data drive for ripping vids etc.

What I failed to remember is one of those partitions was the home of Lilo...I figure if that's not found it would just default to booting windows, but is that true? Will I be able to boot into windows without any hassle after I restart? :noes:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

lilo does not install to a partition -- it goes in the MBR. Installing windows will overwrite your MBR, so you're okay, assuming you're installing windows again.

If you're not installing windows again, try entering the recovery console and typing "FIXMBR".

3. Jazz

I don't plan on reinstalling windows. I just wanted to get rid of the ext3 partitions (already done) and have the computer boot up windows right away.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've used grub since after RH5.1, so I don't remember lilo too well. If everything is in the MBR then it should still work. If it loads the config from your /boot then it won't work. I recommend you open the recovery console and run "FIXMBR" to get rid of LILO alltogether and use the NTLDR.

5. Jazz

:cool:

thanks guys...I'm not too versed in all this stuff :)