I love my Camaro.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Buick Muscle, May 8, 2005.

1. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Sorry guys, but I just have to whore out the car. Back in 1999,2000, I made the decision that I had to have a Camaro.

I will admit, at one time I did consider getting an import. At the time, the Imports were the cars that were being glamorized... if you had one with some work done to it, it was going to get you some attention... even if the car was slow as hell to begin with. But the pull was definetly there. Imports were just getting more recognition, there was more aftermarket, and people just seemed to be in the know about imports. and it seemed like at the time, they were just more fun.

Domestic cars on the other hand, were the complete opposite. Get a Domestic car, and you risked being completly left out of the loop. Never mind the fact that you could roll up in a relatively cheap domestic car, with minimal work done to it, that could just completly run circles around the more expensive japanese offerings... people just didn't care. It appeared that what was reality, vs. what people thought were two very very different things. There was just too much adversity against the domestics against the new wave of percieved faster, lighter, tighter performance offerings from the rising sun.

So what happened? Well, all signs were definetly pointing to me getting an import. * or a smaller hatch for that matter* Money wise, it would have been alot cheaper since the GM offerings at the time were WAYY more expensive then anything else. Unless I went really down the years, anything relatively new would have been a stretch.

Secondly, gas and insurance wise, it would have been alot better financially to get a Honda or a Focus instead of a 93 Octane huffing, 2+2, V8 powered door slammer at my relatively yound age. People left and right told me that insurance was going to EAT ME ALIVE.

Third, like previously stated, Domestics just didn't get the appeal that Imports would have. A few times I had witnessed relatively mint condition C5 Corvettes sitting in bliss lonelyness while crowds gathered around nitrous up, chipped out, slammed body kit engrossed Civics still running the stock engines. It was just absolutly retarded the attention that these cars would get, just hyped up beyond belief while real engineered vehicles would get passed over, people jaded into thinking that these cars were still running distributers and carbs.

So what happened? How did I wind up with my Camaro?

In most part, it was just pure dogged determination on my part, and a little bit of luck. At the time, the Camaro WAS the king of the street, and nothing short of an exotic could run with them. I was determined to get this car, and nothing would hold me back.

Finally, when the smoked cleared, I signed a 475 a month payment on a mint condition, 2001 black on black Camaro SS with a 6 speed manual.

Now that I look back on that, there would have been no way in hell I would have signed papers on that. But thats what being younger and overly motivated will do to you. As soon as I started driving it around however, things got very very interesting.

For the most part, people liked the car. However, that's as much normal as it went. My mom didn't seem to mind so much, but she just thought the car only had 200HP or something like that. It wasn't until two years down the road that she found out the power was nearly double that and she flipped. However, she has since recovered.

My other non-car enthusiests friends just didn't seem to get it. Ignorance ran rampant and I was constantly finding myself defending the car. "Why do you have to drive a car so loud?" they would ask.
    "What does that thing get, like 8 MPG?"

At this point, I would like to interject that GM had so overengineered this car, that the car was actually acheiving high 20-low 30 MPG on the freeway. Almost as good as some 4 cylinders.

When I started mixing it up with my non-car enthusiests friends, things got really interesting. The car was either subjected to mass delusions of performance inability, or would either sit in solitude. Never mind the fact that the car was engineered to uncompromising straight line acceleration, or the car could out power, out corner, or just straight out hustle any of my other friends cars... park it next to a Celica or a Honda, and the car was suddenly just as remarkable as a mini van.

That definetly wasn't worth 475 a month.

2. ski

ski New Member

Must be a slow server.

3. AlkyHauler

AlkyHauler Do you feel lucky punk? OT Supporter

4. travisdb

travisdb What do you wanna do?

Cliffs?

5. Jmeier

Jmeier New Member

Psst.. Should have bought a Vette.

6. joshr1

joshr1 Guest

camaro = shitty car with great engine.

7. travisdb

travisdb What do you wanna do?

Guy didnt want to jump on import bandwagon. Thought Camaro's were the only thing to compete with exotics.

8. Janson

Janson Nuclear is bitchmade. OT Supporter

pics of your mullet?

:mamoru:

9. Stealthy_C

Stealthy_C my Vespa rocks.. ̔̕̚̕̚ ҉ ҉̵̞̟̠̖̗̘̙̜̝̞̟̠͇̊̋̌̍̎ ̏̐̑̒ OT Supporter

82-92 Camaro > 93+ Camaro

:o

10. Moe88

Moe88 New Member

lol, camaros

11. accordfreak93

accordfreak93 Go Preds!

damn man! i hope that 475 includes insurance. otherwise, thats a shitload for just a gm! oh ya and buying a car for the attention factor :ugh2:

12. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

So why did I keep the car?

The main reason was because it excelled at precisly the reason I had bought it for. The car was fast. Not quick, or peppy, or snappy, or mildly motivated.

The Camaro was able to do something that no other hatchback or import or near anything else for that matter could do.

The car could and would put the fear of god into you.

Usually, the only thing it took to make people a believer was strapping them into the passenger seat and letting them hang on for dear life. The Starbucks that I recently frequented, one of my friends drove an Acura RSX. It was a quick car, granted, for a commuter. But he just didn't know. One day, another friend of mine, after being subjected to the Acuras drivers of granduer and delusions, asked me to take him for a ride. So, doing the humble thing, we jumped into the car and headed off for a low traffic area.

When we got ready, I was visibly shaking. I had not gotten used to the acceleration of the car yet, and I was always afraid that something would jump out in front of me, like a dog, a kid, or a state trooper.

But finally, I put it all on the backburner, and said to him, "Lets go." I slapped the shifter into first, revved it to about 1800 RPM's, and dropped the clutch.

The rear tires bit down, and the front end of the car nosed up proprtionaly fast to the speedometer rising. My friend has absolutly no idea what was coming. He looked over just in time to see the little red need to the speedomer skip from 20 to 50 MPH in a blink of an eye.

In the time it took Acura boys car to hit the legal posted speedlimit, the Camaro was already nosing past 90 MPH and hitting triple digit speeds. Before it even started, it was already over. In a time that any import driver could think of, the car had taken off, acclerated to 100 MPH, and stormed down to a dead stop leaving thick black tire marks behind it.

That moment right there, was when I knew that the Camaro had been a right choice.

I have not regretted it since.

13. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Wow, that took longer to type then I thought. :hs:

14. joshr1

joshr1 Guest

475 sounds like an 01 ss payment... those cars are so overpriced its not funny. you can buy a z28 and throw on an ss hood and have the same thing with better paint. the slp paint is garbage.

15. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

No, the 475 is what I paid for it. Used, 22,500 plus TTL, 1K down payment, 12.9 % APR for a first time buyer, = 475 a month.

16. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Well, the "SS" is just a cosmetic feature is a moot argument now, with SS and WS6's holding their value while Z28's are dropping. The Fake "SS"s that are now flooding the market isn't doing very much now.

17. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

Well, since you all asked, heres some pictures that I have on my computer at the time. Nothing when it was new, but recently after I have modded out the car.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Slappy3243

Slappy3243 Ello?

I read all of this and I totally agree. I own a LS1 Firehawk and I really couldn't give a shit what the import owners have to say. :dunno: Just the sound and raw power make me love the car more everyday. Import owners always underestimate what the car is capable of but it doesn't bother me. I just get a kick out of it every time I smoke one. :) It really is ignorance. I have had many import owners talk to me after we had a run and tell me they honestly did not think that the F-bodys were that fast and they have respect for it. It is just a totally different ride when comparing a V8 to a 4 cyl or even a Turbo 4. The powerbands and torque curves are so different. Everybody that I have given rides to laugh because they think the power is rediculous but they enjoy it.

I have nothing against the imports at all really. :dunno: I have one as a daily driver actually. I will NEVER give up the power and sound of a V8 car though, never.

19. Buick Muscle

Buick Muscle Guest

I have actually considered it... but the Camaro was already a bit of a stretch. The Corvette would have just been out of my league price wise.

And considering that the Camaro was just as fast as the C5 Corvette, I couldn't really justify the price increase.

20. mystix

mystix OT Supporter

civic > *

21. JohnnyBeagle

JohnnyBeagle OT Supporter

22. SaintGRW

SaintGRW OT Supporter

You drive with your helmet on too?

:bigthumb:
    [​IMG]

23. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i like camaros a little but the used ones dont hold up they just dont age well. id be suprised if the engines last 140k miles without problems

24. AndyB

AndyB I love you baby Kaitlyn and Dad

I pick up my 2002 Z28 at the end of the month :wavey:

Autocross f-stock whore :coold:

25. Bloke

Bloke Banned

1le?