I love having to justify my continued employment to the new VP.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Nov 10, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Most fun I've ever had, really. "Why is this one guy billing to overhead instead of billing to customers' projects?" Because I don't work on customers' projects; I keep shit running so other people can work on customers' projects. :squint:

Makes me think maybe I should take a nice long vacation and see how long it takes before IT in the headquarters office cries uncle and asks me to come in and fix shit. It wouldn't be long, is my guess; they're 90 miles away and it seems like if I even take one day off, something goes wrong.

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

set up a network time bomb and then take a 2 week vacation :mamoru:

3. 7960

7960 New Member

The most dangerous time in a job is when someone thinks he is so important that the company can't do without him.

Good luck.

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

:rofl: very true. everyone is replaceable

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

So... you're not doing your job? That's what you just told him...

6. deusexaethera

I'm doing what my boss (and my substitute boss) tells me to do, and they've both told the guy "you're not getting rid of him."

He was hired to increase margins -- as if anyone is ever hired to lower them -- and because he works out of his house in Colorado Springs, and never uses anything more than a conference-call line and the VPN to check his email, he thinks the best way to increase margins is to yank the rug out from under everyone by denying our T1 request and closing the office and making everyone work from home. In other words, he doesn't have a goddamned clue what the division he was hired to run does to make money, or how we do it.

And because I'm the guy who knows how our entire infrastructure works, I get to be the one who explains it to him -- but not in a cordial "here's how things work and why we set it up to work that way" fashion, no instead it has to be in a confrontational "we need this to do our jobs and make money, please don't take it away" fashion. I mean really, if I ever become a manager and I don't appreciate that making the first impression on my employees that I'm a machete-wielding cost-cutter might be a negative thing in the long run, just shoot me and get it over with. This is not how you earn (or retain) the loyalty of your workforce. If you're going to cut costs, fine, but at least act like you have no other choice as opposed to being eager about it.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  7. deusexaethera

I know what you're saying, and yes, I'm kinda on-edge about the whole thing, but I do know someone else can do my job. They just won't be able to do it properly for about the first 3-4 months, and besides, he doesn't just want to get me off the overhead bill, he wants to get the whole damn office off the overhead bill. I'm just in a particularly uncomfortable spot because there's no way I can do IT stuff from my house, unless they want to move the server rack to my house and install a T1 line, and even then I wouldn't be able to maintain people's machines effectively without having to get in the car and drive to wherever the hell they live.

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

once a VP has told you that you are worthless overhead its time to at least start looking for somewhere else to work.

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Here's what you do: get all the home addresses of the people you'd have to support, and sit down with mapquest. Figure out how much mileage you'd incur to travel round trip from your house to each of those people's houses, and then try to estimate how often you'd have to make each trip. Once you have the total mileage, calculate how much the company would owe you in wage and mileage as a result. Show it to the dumbass VP (who will realize he'd actually end up having an even larger overhead instead of cutting costs) and profit.

10. deusexaethera

I just sat through a meeting this afternoon in which the CTO and the director of my division and I all listed off one explanation after another for why it would really be a good idea to maintain offices in both the Reston area and in the Silver Spring area, including trying to get people to commute from one suburb to the other is a complete non-starter so having separate offices gives us a bigger talent pool to hire from, but the guy wasn't terribly interested in hearing it. And then one of our PMs who works out of his house started explaining how great it was to work from home and how he didn't really need an office and everyone should give it a try! News flash fuckhead, not everyone has an extra room they can set up a home office in, or a quiet house to work in during the day, or a job that doesn't require them to work with anyone else. Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, some people. It always felt a little like I was talking to a 12-year-old when I talked to that guy, but now I just have no respect for him at all. Talk about not seeing the bigger picture.

So the lease runs out next December. I guess I better find another job before then, because I am sure as hell not driving 90 miles a day through Beltway traffic to work in the HQ office.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  11. deusexaethera

I see what you're saying, but his approach is wrong to begin with. My division is the smallest, most efficient, highest-grossing, and most profitable division in the company. It's always good to make sure the belt fits, but there's no need to rip your guts out so you can tighten your belt when there's money rolling in from all over the place. We are literally paying for all the big contracts the other divisions are failing to win because the bigger companies we're competing against keep stalling for time by contesting the customers' decisions to award them to us. We're keeping the company alive and he wants to take us apart. It doesn't make any sense.