SRS I lost my wedding ring

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cerridwen, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

or at least the centerpiece diamond.
    I feel oddly distressed about it. :wtc:
    I know we can't afford to replace it, and the warranty is void because I was 1 month late getting one of my 'inspections' that was required of it.
    I feel nekkid without it.

2. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

did you not get it insured?

3. Hootahz314

Hootahz314 I have daddy issues

I accidently threw my engagement ring away one day while I was cleaning... I know how you feel. It's a horrible, horrible feeling. Even if you get it replaced (which I did) it's still not quite the same. :wtc:

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Insurance does not cover losing a stone, it only covers losing the entire thing.
    Besides, my homeowner's insurance policy has a $1000 deductible. It would be pretty silly to insure something with that high of a deductible when it is only worth $600.

5. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Sadly, we can't even afford to replace it. I feel like such an idiot, crying over a ring.
    I'm searching Ebay for a halfway decent looking 'lab created' diamond to last me for the next couple of years until I am through with school and working again (so we can buy a new one).:wtc:

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Yep. Not everybody has the money (or wants) to spend thousands of dollars on a wedding ring. Mine had incredible sentimental value to me.

7. Outlier

Outlier New Member

we spent 200 bucks on both of our wedding rings.

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Please finish reading the rest of the post and you will understand why this isn't possible ;)

9. johan

johan Active Member

Why don't you wait to replace it. Don't scramble to try and scrape up the $$ to replace it immediately. Doing so only serves to mark a negative event, the loss of the ring.

Instead, wait until your next wedding anniversary. Throw yourself a party.

Or else have a really special night out, and your man can present you with a new ring, a renewed promise and you'll reciprocate by not losing this one :) You two know what to do when you get home.

Or better yet, why not go some place nice, and run through this scene under the stars on a warm tropical beach somewhere. Much better.

And a $600 ring nothing to be ashamed of.

10. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I'm not ashamed of my ring ;) I loved it, and I really didn't care how much it cost.
    Our next wedding anniversary is actually on Valentine's Day. I am going to the jewelers tonight to see how much it will be to have a new stone put in it. In the meantime I am just going to pick up something like this :)o :mamoru: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5080979541&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1) to wear until it can be repaired.
    Technicaly I didn't lose this one, the stone fell out ;) He felt really bad that I felt really bad about it.
    While it would be wonderful to go someplace nice with a warm tropical beach, in all fairness we can't afford $300 for a new stone, let alone a vacation (we ARE in Wisconsin).
    (the stone showed up fairly yellow in the pic, but it was pretty clear without any trace of yellow IRL).
    [​IMG]

11. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Not to be rude or mean, but do you have any idea where/when you lost it? I would be digging through vacuum cleaner bags and/or dog turds (dunno if one of them might've thought it was a snack) hoping to find it.... :o

12. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:eek3: $15K?! whoa... damn, that's alot. I could see $1500, hell even $5-6000, but $15K is OVERKILL, IMO.

13. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Where do you think you lost the centerpiece? If its in the house did you look everywhere in order to recover it, maby in the car, or maby behind the couch? Unless you saw it fall into the water or a drain with your own eyes, do you think there's still a chance you could find it anywhere?

14. johan

johan Active Member

Yeah, I know my comment was more directed at someone (dont remember who) that made a :ugh: comment about the ring, at $600, being less than your insurance deductible.

15. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I honestly don't know. It's quite possible that it could have been gone for days and I just haven't noticed it. With 3 dogs around, for all that I know it's in one of their bellies/out in the backyard. I was planning on pulling apart our bed tonight (thinking maybe I lost it last night in bed since I noticed it first thing this morning) and checking but I just feel like it's gone.
    I took my ring to 3 jewelers today who gave me estimates of $500-600 to repair it and replace the stone. :wtc: I guess one of my prongs somehow got bent, which is why the stone fell out.
    I feel horrible today. I can't believe I feel so shitty over losing my stone. It's silly to place so much value on a material posession, but it truly meant a lot. I will also admit to being completely unproductive today.

16. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

If i where you id go looking for it today, first places 'bathroom' , 'bedroom' , 'jewelry store box(if you have one)' Sometimes when you place things on furniture, then directly below on the ground you might' find the stone. And if you do find the stone i would let it be attached to the ring with superglue so it may never come off again.

17. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

Go zirconium. Still, I think just a wedding band looks nice.

18. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Honestly, I can't spend all of my time searching the house for a 1/4 carat ring (do you know how small those stones are?!). I have to accept the fact that it's probably gone, you know what I mean?

19. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

That's wonderful if that's what you want to do, but not all of us have tens of thousands of dollars to throw around on things like rings ;)

20. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

My wedding ring cost me $500. I lost it. It's gone. My wife and I have searched everywhere. So I'm just going to get a cheap ring to replace it incase I lose it again. Probably something around $100 or so. So don't worry about your ring. Stuff happens to everyone.

21. MissKitty

MissKitty If squats were easy they'd be called 'Your Mum' OT Supporter

Why are you getting a replacement ring???

It is just a ring and you still have the ring your husband gave you.

If you don't care about how much the ring cost, why are you buying something to replace it?

22. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Because I WANT to wear a wedding ring and I can't wear mine with it the way it is. I don't feel right not wearing a wedding ring.

I just accepted $500 from my mother though, so I can repair my wedding ring. :wtc:

23. MissKitty

That was very nice of your mother :)

Didn't mean to say you were materalistic I just think with rings it would be about the meaning and getting a ring to replace it wouldn't replace the meaning :)

24. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I can't quite figure out if you're saying getting a replacement would be okay because the meaning is the same or the other way around? :o

25. MissKitty

For me replaceing the ring wouldn't fix anything. The meaning is attached to the original ring.