I looked around, didn't see anything to help... so... Please!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DreamDemon, Dec 20, 2004.

1. DreamDemon

DreamDemon New Member

I don't konw what it is about this monitor, but the colors are really dark. The different font colors for my instant messaging all look the same, and also as in I can't see pictures worth $#!+. :eek4: I've tried adjusting all the brightness/contrast and all that stuff, but to no avail. Just wondering if anyone knows if there's anyting else I can try to adjust to make things more visible or if I need a new monitor. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. If you need any more information about the problem, just let me know. Thanx so much in advance. :)

2. MrMan

MrMan New Member

I have limited knowledge with monitors. With that said, was it working fine before, and then all of a sudden became dark? Also, what model is the monitor? LCD or CRT? How long did you have the monitor?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have not seen an LCD do that (they're either on or off) but that's a tell-tale sign that a CRT is going out.

4. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

mine has been like that for a while, but i'm using a different video card. I just adjust the brightness settings in the card configuration settings....i wish i could fix this prob too. Contrast and brightness are turned all the way up, but still no dice.

5. DreamDemon

DreamDemon New Member

I never really used it before I got internet hooked up, so I guess I don't know when the color started to go to hell. It's a Gateway EV700 and I don't know what LCD or CRT means so I can't help you there. I think the computer's a '98 or something like that so I'm assuming the monitor is about that old. Not sure though, because I got the computer from one of my family members who got a new one. *What is a CRT?*

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

LCD == Liquid Crystal Display.
    CRT == Cathod Ray Tube.

If it's only an inch or two thick, then it's an LCD (well, likely). If it looks like a conventional TV, then it's a CRT.

7. DreamDemon

DreamDemon New Member

Ahh I see... CRT it is

8. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Quick diagnosis #2: The disk whirs and the supply hums, but the monitor stays dark.

Quick fix: Your display's brightness and contrast settings may have been set inadvertently to their highest or lowest level, blanking your screen.

Not-so-quick fix: Connect your monitor to another PC or to a notebook computer. If the monitor works, the problem is with your PC or its graphics card. If it doesn't, it's time for a new display. If your hard disk, power supply, and monitor all check out, then you've left the realm of fast fixes. Get a technician on the phone, or call your local PC repair shop to schedule a drop-off or a tech house call.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/1,aid,118512,pg,8,00.asp

Monitors are now cheaper or less problematic when replacing with a new one, rather than having it repaired. It's possible that one of the tubes in there is not functioning properly, resulting in a loss of color (again, I don't know monitors too well). The "not-so-quick" fix above can help you diagnose where the problem lies, so if you have another PC around, and want to try it out, you could try that.