I KNOW this is the right way to BUFF OUT scratches on a vehicle but I have questions!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by GRocks10, Oct 12, 2005.

1. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

Hi everyone,

My sisters car recently got some minor scratches/smudges that she wanted to have removed.. I recommeneded her this body shop by me that does work on cars. They do buffing for great prices.. I went along with her to go get it done. Basically, while watching the guy do the work ( yeah, I made sure to watch to take into notice what is done in the process so I can figure out how to do this myself in the future.. besides taking out scratches, it makes the car look more wet shiney like which is great! ).

Anyhow, this is what I saw being done while asking questions:

Things you need:

water, soap and washing cloth..

size 100 very thin good quality sandpaper

WASH area with cloth with water and soap.. then get sandpaper and put in the water and soap and WASH the area of the scratches..

WAIT for a good 5-10 minutes..

THEN STEP TWO

take the BUFFER and buff the areas with smudges/scratches, etc.

GET a special compound that is like a brown color and another one which I believe is a conditioner that looks white. Put good drops of the brown compound so you can continue to use the buffer.. and then put some of the white stuff later and buff some more.. ( its probably the same type of stuff ).

STEP 3

JUST WASH THE AREAS OF WITH THE SOAP AND WATER AND HOSE OFF..

YOU'RE DONE!

Here is my question: What is the special compound that is like a brown color and the other one being white? And the guy kept saying that he was using size 100 good quality sand paper, where do you get this stuff, how much?

I'm thinking of making a business possibly doing this stuff around my local area.. I know plenty of people who wouldn't mind getting little scratches out of their car. I wouldn't mind doing this to my car aswell but you'd be hard press to find much defects on the exterior since I keep it in such great condition.

Thanks for the help!

2. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

Body Shops are great on what they do and that is body work but Detailing cars is a field by its self and Pro Detailing you just can't get into it over night. I suggest to you to goto http://autopia.org you will find a lot of infor there on How to Detail. The white stuff you are asking about is a polish and the brown stuff is a glaze, my guess is made by 3M and its 2000/15000 grit wet sanding paper. And its not the right way to buff out scratches.:noes: :nono: wet sanding is a field by its self done pacifically to get a certain effect of gloss "throughout" and it takes knowledge to wet sand and more in likely is done with a rotery:noes: from a person that has many of years of experience.

3. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

The wetsanding part looked pretty damn easy.. all the guy did was put these thin sheet type of rubber which are square like in the water with soap and then he just rubbed them onto the spots where these small smudges were on my sisters hood which were like scratches but not deep at all.. they were more like smudges. Anyhow, he put the rubbers with the water and soap and it made the smudges turn into a whitish grey color.. he let it sit for like 10 min and then went ahead and took the brown compound type substance and put drops on the smudges and took the buffer machine and started going to work.. got each smudge completely removed within 5-10 min.

It looked REALLY easy! Something anyone can do.. just need to figure out how to use a buffer but I think if I do it the way I saw the guy, I'd be fine.

I want to know what was the compound stuff he used ( if what you said already is correct.. please re-tell me after what I wrote up ) and is there a "how to" with pictures on how to do this right beside what I already saw being done?

Thank you!

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

There are so many different compounds and polishes, it is impossible to know just by color what was being used. In addition, a lot of body shops use bulk detailing products, that while they get the job done, there are better quality products available.

Wetsanding, cutting and buffing isn't as easy as it looks. You might want to download the wetsanding video on www.meguiars.com

5. GRocks10

GRocks10 New Member

Scottwax,

Since I apparently made the title out that I know what to do I apologize for making it that way.. good thing I have a forum with helpful members to correct me. I'm thinking a video would be great to watch on how to do this stuff directly the right way.. the link you provided, do you happen to have the direct link for the download of the video or know of any place I can get something like this that explains what to do? Pretty much a buffers newbie guide that is free? hehe

Thank you!