GUN I know there's a sticky on handguns, and a few topics on it...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DC, Feb 27, 2007.

1. DC

DC OT Supporter

I know there's a sticky already, and a few topics on it...

But I'll ask anyways, so I get some personalized answers not pertaining to handguns.

I've never owned a firearm, Never shot a firearm, but I'm looking to change that.

I'm not looking for a handgun at the moment., I'd rather get proficient with shooting and maintaining a rifle before I jump in over my head and trust my life with something I'm not all too familiar with myself.

I'm looking at spending ~$400 or less. What are some good rifles you guys would recommend for someone just learning to shoot. I see a lot of topics involving AK47s for cheap, but I also see a lot of topics about horrid quality AKs for that price. I was just wondering if you guys could send me in the right direction with some specific links and model information before I make any hasty decisions.

Accuracy is of importance, as I would eventually like to get a scope. I don't really want any crazy accessories though.

Also, beginning, would it be advisable to bite the bullet, get something like a $200 SKS to see how interested I stay in the hobby?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  2. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Depends what you want for a rifle.

I personally would pick up a Marlin 336 in 30-30. I have one and love it, accurate on iron sights and easy to control.

3. DC

DC OT Supporter

Price of ammo isn't insanely important, no strange calibers that are hard to find, and I'd like something generally reliable, accurate, and easy for me to tear down and put back together (don't worry, I'm very mechanically inclined)

In regards to the marlin, I don't think I would want a lever action. I'd prefer a semi-auto with at least a 10rd clip.

I'm definitely going to do some research and shoot quite a few firearms at the local range soon though. They just opened a range with rentals down the street from where I work, and on top of the rentals, my manager has 25+ rifles.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

do you have any aesthetic values? wood or synthetics? Military appearance or classic hunting?

5. DC

DC OT Supporter

Personally, I have no preference on finish. Only thing I don't like is the cheap looking plastics I've seen on a few guns in local shops. Looked like toys.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd suggest you get a .22lr, like the ruger 10/22 or the marlin 60. Most of good marksmanship is proper trigger control and you can practice that very effectively and cheaply with a .22

Now I realize no one wants to actually ever take this advice and they'd rather get a big caliber cooler looking gun, but with a basic .22 being $150-200 and ammo being many times cheaper per shot I think its a deal you can't turn down. 7.62x39 will probably run you about $.16-.17 a shot, .22 will run you about $.02 or less a shot. Lets say you shoot 200 rounds a day, thats $34 for the SKS or $4 If you want to really practice and get good and enjoy it alot....you gotta have a .22lr

7. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Can't go wrong with the 10/22 to begin on, as it's recoil is practically nil, which won't start you developing bad habits. It's also relatively cheap, and ammo is insanely cheap (550 rounds for 8 bucks, on average).

If you're intent on getting something larger caliber though, an SKS would be a good option. There's a huge aftermarket for them in regards to scoping and all.. ammo is pricey, but not terrible. If you can get your hands on a surplus one, you'll experience alot more about owning a gun, because you'll learn it inside and out and the details of cleaning and caring for it.

8. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

The 10/22 you can modify the daylights out of and shoot the daylights out of without spending much money on ammo. You get loads of practice and trigger control, then yo can move your way up.

You can get a marlin .22lr in a semi-auto for 105 at walmart last time I checked.

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

10/22 thirded even though I don't have one. I have a Remmy bolt-action .22. :)

10. DC

DC OT Supporter

Any pluses/minuses to Savage Arms? I don't know. Looking @ GunsAtCost.com

11. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

10/22 is your friend!

12. DC

DC OT Supporter

There are some nice looking ones too. I guess I should start with a 22 considering I'm not hunting large game, or anything crazy like that. Just target shooting.

13. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

I'm serious considering a Savage for my next gun. They are supposed to be a great, accurate gun for the price. I think they're all lever action though. I could be wrong.

That being said, I picked up a 10/22 this weekend. Went to the range with it yesterday. It was a lot of fun to shoot. It's a great place to start. You can shoot it out of the box or mod it as much as you want and not break the bank.

14. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

You are from Dayton? Lucky you, AIM Surplus is just down the road
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/

If you are wanting something larger than a .22, then check them out. Their site is listing a lot of stuff as being out of stock, but from what they have I would recommend the WASR AK, the .308 Enfield, the Mosin Nagant or the SKS. The AK and SKS both fire 7.62x39, and are both semi auto, while the Mosin and Enfield are bolt guns, but for your budget, you could easily get an SKS and either of the bolt guns. Right now, the 7.62x54r that the Mosin fires can easily be found in milsurp, but no clue how long that will last. The .308 can be found anywhere, but milsurp is pretty much all gone so it will be pricier factory ammo. 7.62x39 used to be nice and cheap, not so much anymore, I think $150 is a decent price on 1,000 rounds now, and with a semi auto that can go fast.

I hope you live in one of the suburbs, Dayton has an assault weapons ban, so if you live in the city of Dayton you probably won't be able to buy an AK.

15. DC

DC OT Supporter

New Carlisle. I'm good :coolugh:

16. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

I agree with the .22lr comments on here. I learned to shoot on a browning .22 with iron sights and at 50 yards it would put multiple rounds through the same hole. The .22lr is and excellent round to learn on. If you want to later move up to a "larger" caliber you can go the AR route or a little cheaper with a Ruger mini-14. I have the latter.

17. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'd go with a 5.45 AK ammo is cheaper and they're more accurate.

18. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I would recomend that you not get a mosin or something similar untill you are comfortable shooting, since you WILL learn bad habits that way. Im going to add a +1 to the 10/22 option

19. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Theres always the 1022 if you want a semi auto .22
    If you buy am SKS. Do not pay $200. I got a decent chinese one for $150.
    For $150 last year in shotgun news, you could have bough an unissued yugoslavian one

Mosins are always nice. A WWII bolt action in great shape that only costs $65 from interordnance
    Theres the $330 romanian AK's. I shot one earlier this year and it didnt seem too bad for what it was

20. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

10/22 owner checking in :wavey: it was the first gun i bought.

21. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:hsugh:

I seem to remember that we went into stone's last feb for something.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:doh:

23. DC

DC OT Supporter

After talking to many people at work, I think I'll be buying a 10/22

24. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

25. DC

DC OT Supporter

At the local shop today, I only saw one other gun I would possibly be interested in, but I just didn't know enough about it. It was a Mossberg .22, I know they make decent shotties, but I don't know anything about their rifles.