GUN I know nothing about building an AR, but I want to. Learn me about them.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CString, Dec 2, 2005.

1. CString

CString New Member

What are all the components I need to buy to build a complete AR? I was just gonna buy one completed b/c I have no idea what all I need, but I think it would be more fun to buy piece-by-piece and build it myself. Help a nga out.

Edit: target/plinking will be the main purpose if that means anything on how I should go about building this thing.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  2. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

They are great plinking guns. Not good for hunting/killing as Iraq has shown us. They dont require a super high amount of maintenance, but do enjoy being cared for. There are a plethora of accesories for your mall ninja needs. Ammunition is plentyful and relatively cheap, especially in bulk. Some will tell you to stay away from Wolf ammo, but thats a bunch of BS. ITs fine so long as you spray the breach with a little oil and give the barrel and loading ramp a few swabs, your good to go. RRA and Bushmaster would be high on my list of good guns, but thats really up to your preferance.

3. CString

CString New Member

I looked on the RRA site but I'm pretty much lost. Do I just need a upper and then a lower with a stock to start? Of course then I could add mall ninja accessories later.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2005
  4. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Well with the AR, thats all there really is to it. So yes, that and the internals is all you need. Great guns really. Just know that the .223 isnt much good for anything other than plinking and varmint hunting. You can hunt with it, but its not going to reliably take down a buck on the first shot. Unless your Carlos Hathcock on a great day.

5. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

go to www.ar15.com and you'll learn everything you need to know.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

AR15.com they have step by step walk thru in building with pics, their exchange forum for all your purchasing needs, the lower reciever is relativley easy to assemble not really any special tools required other then special wrench to assemble stock/buffer tube. for the upper you'll need a special mold sort of thing that goes in a vice to put the barrel on, although i guess its possible to rig up your own device. if you want RRA last i looked i think they were like $120 for a stripped lower over on arfcom.. theres a few others who are cheaper that are just as good i got a couple for $85 each shipped.