WEB I know it's been asked, but how much should I charge for a basic web dev?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by White Stormy, Dec 8, 2009.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I've done lots of web development and programming, but never really as a job

so how much would you charge like per page to set up a drupal site, etc?

2. Major Tom

Major Tom OT Supporter

Are you designing it, or just throwing a theme on it?

3. White Stormy

not supposed to be doing a design, but I'll surely be editing the theme layer a good bit

4. White Stormy

I got stuck on the phone with them asking if this amount is OK or this amount blah blah, etc, and they didn't want to give me any time to think about it

I agreed to do the basic install and content submission for $500 and then I'll do extra shit and updates at $40/hr. as long as they agree where the basic install ends and extra shit begins, I'm happy with that. I've only done two sites for businesses before.. the first one when I was in high school I got a sweet $100. second one was a wordpress install earlier this year with some plugin dev and I got $500.

won't get rich this way, but I'm desperate so didn't want to go so high I turned them off. :p

5. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

how long will the "basic install" take?

6. White Stormy

no clue. I hate this.

I basically know nothing about it. I'm talking to a middleman and he told me the 500 can cover whatever I think it's worth and then I just bill after that for extra time, hah. so I guess I'll find out when they start sending me information

7. Major Tom

Major Tom OT Supporter

If you know what you're doing, Drupal can be installed and customised in an afternoon. If you're using a theme, that's even less time. Adding content will obviously depend on the size of the site.

8. redna

redna New Member

You're not CREATING the content, are you? Just submitting the content that they send to you?

You should be able to plop this up on a drupal theme or even a wordpress theme for $500.

That's about what I charge to install and customize a WP theme and add client provided content. It takes me no more than a day or two depending on what exactly they want.

I also generally make them sign up for hosting using my affiliate link, unless they want a hosted solution. In which case I just use my reseller account and host them and make monthly money.

9. hank85

hank85 sudo shred /dev/sda -f -v -z --iterations=6

Charge 1.75x what you think is fair. Let them haggle you down to 1.5x. Then let them pay over a period of time with 40% upfront.

Obviously keep in mind who your client is, what you think their budget and walk away point is.

Charge on the functionality you will be delivering and not on the actual time it takes you to develop.

CMS, no matter what it is shouldn't be below $1000 especially if you're dealing with people that are not in the web dev industry. If you're dealing with someone who is reselling your work and will bring you future work obviously cut them a discount.

10. White Stormy

yeah I don't imagine the site install taking more than an hour.. it'll just take time to get all of their content in and pick/modify a theme

11. White Stormy

:cool: thanks

12. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

THIS.