I keep going out for milk...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Morgan06, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

... and can't find the right mobile detailing vehicle on my way home.

When I didn't have the cash they were everywhere, now that I have the cash I can't find a single van worth buying.

Sold my SUV last Friday, had plans to buy an Astro that weekend but it fell through. Had to reschedule a couple appointments around not having the vehicle- even drove this morning an hour away to look at one. Fucker advertised it as mint, but the speedometer was bouncing around like an epileptic kid and the transmission kept slipping. :squint:

/blog

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Odyssey.

/thread

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you using a tank? Econoline ftw.

4. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

No Econo or Savanas- too tall. Need the difference in height that the Astro provides to get into some of the parking garages. Smaller footprint to maximize efficiency. Don't know too much about the Odyssey, I'll have to look into payloads and average costs before I comment. I carry 35 gallons max now, may expand into reclamation soon too- going to need something heavy duty.

5. Scottwax

My brother uses an Odyssey in his computer business. Back seat folds into the floor which gives a lot of storage room in the back. 240 hp and it basically drives like a tall Accord. My brother gets 18 mpg in town and as high as 25 mpg on trips.

6. August Burns

August Burns New Member

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I bet it's alot more comfortable too. Driving an Astro makes me feel like Otto the Bus Driver :coolugh:

I know about the Transit and am interested in it. But this is my second year of doing this, and I'm still trying to be cautious about over investing- that's just more money I need to make to be profitable. If everything is still going well next year I'll buy something nicer. Right now I'm content with anything from $1500-$5000, as long as it runs well and looks presentable.

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i'd go for the astro then. the odyssey is a nice van, but the issue comes in when you start using more than 35 gals. I've got a 125 gal tank in my S10, and fully loaded, the tank alone is ~1000 lbs worth of payload. And it's very noticeable. I just don't think the honda van would handle that load very well. along with the fact that astros can be had in a cargo van type setup, it makes for concealing equipment much easier, as well as the ability to create mounts and build racks and what not on the interior. plus RWD ftw.

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

You really can't beat the Astro as a business van if you need something smaller than the Express/Econoline. I'm sure you can find one out there decent enough to do the job.

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I got blown the fuck up with customer's calling today- I can't keep putting out delays without risking losing the business. I've scheduled a bunch for the week of the 23rd- has to be done by then. I would have bought already but everything listed now either has 160K miles, or it's a passenger van, or it's $6-10K. Might have to make a compromise, needs to be bought by this Wednesday to give me time to get it registered and setup.

All I want is a 96+ with less than 120K and no large dents for a reasonable price. Before I was ready to buy they were abundant at $2500- now everything is $4000 for a piece of shit.

11. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

enjoy your transmission

12. August Burns

August Burns New Member

so true. I work at a honda dealer, I can tell you.

13. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Bumped up my price range to $3500, think I'm picking something up today about 45 minutes away.

96 Astro w/ 60K :eek3:

Has one really bad scratch & dent combo meal along the right rear upper cargo panel, going to bang it out and slap some vinyl over it. Looks like previous owner caught the sharp corner of something and didn't notice until after driving a few feet. Might purchase a passenger door due to some bad PDR work that's been done on it. Other than that it's in good condition and runs like a champ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Almost all of the black floor covering has tire shine on it :ugh:

14. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Nice! That's not a bad find, with 60K on the clock it should last you quite a while as long as the body isn't rusting or anything.

15. Scottwax

My brother has 108,000 miles on his '04 Odyssey and has had no transmission problems. That problem was apparently fixed some time during the '04 model year on all the V6 Hondas and Acuras.

16. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I picked it up, it's actually a 98 and I paid $3400. Hopefully going to get register it, get a temp plate, and do emissions today. Not going to bother cleaning it and getting everything installed until the weekend. That scratch really bugs me- if I was in construction I wouldn't give a fuck but since I make a living off clean cars making it presentable is a priority.

Drove it home, not a single problem. Saw a freshly detailed Astro broken down on the side of the road with the hood open on the way back. That van was down the street from a dealer I stopped at last week, and it's the same overpriced van I had considered purchasing.

17. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

And any interior other than blue FTW

18. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

werd, nice find. should do really well for you.

19. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

and pre-installed shevles ftmfw

20. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Nice find.

21. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Word.

The big scratch is killing me, PDR won't be able to fix that at a reasonable price and I can't bang it out without cracking the paint. Think I'm going to get a big white magnet to stick over it :greddy: until I get the opportunity to borrow some booth time.

Got my wood subfloor cut and test fitted, working on latches for mounting the tank, pressure washer and generator. I've got until Monday to get it all cleaned up and ready to go.

22. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

how big of a tank are you going to use? i remember you had the 35 gal previously. now that you've got the room, go for something bigger! and I've seen most people put their tanks over the rear end in those vans. where are you looking to put yours?

23. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Why not put either a mag sign or a graphic wrap on that side?

24. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I've got the 35 and will utilize that until I feel the need to upgrade. Mounted it yesterday right over the axle. I hadn't used my PW since December and forgot I needed a new rip cord; it only uses 1.5GPM- combine that with ONR and I've got plenty.

I looked into wraps, it's not in the budget this year I don't think, and a mag sign is what I plan on doing until I get the time to do the body work. It'll bother me knowing that there's a huge gash hiding behind it, so I've got to fix it eventually.

Going to get the outside prepped for buffing today and do the inside, tomorrow I will work on the swirls. The dealer I bought it from knew of me through some of my old employers, and we talked about detailing while I was there. He claimed to have the best guy around that does his cars for $125- wait until I show you guys the in sunlight pictures of his work. :rofl:

25. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

word. 35 gals should do you fine then. i remember showing up to a site one day with 125 gals ready to roll....and my PW wouldn't start. :eek4: thank God for onr!