I keep getting scanned by AP2P companies even though I'm not connected to anything

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WS6Formula350, Apr 24, 2005.

1. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

my PeerGuardian log is going nuts with Istra Holdings/Spider Entertainment or something... research through Google shows they're a fake file group. But I'm not on any p2p programs and haven't been in a while. I used Bittorrent to download a Star Trek game three days ago and I've been continually getting scanned since... wtf is going on?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Dispite common misconception, bittorrent is NOT anonymous. They certainly can, and will, get IPs via bittorrent. In fact, due to the nature in which bittorrent operates, your IP will be more widely available than previous peer-to-peer operations.

Bittorrent is indeed a novel concept in file transfer, but it is not without it's problems. It is certainly not the answer for illigally downloading content.

3. WS6Formula350

WS6Formula350 molestache amririte?

Yeah, I know it's not anonymous-- but I'm still getting hounded days later when I'm not even sharing anything?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

call your provider and complain? Personally I'd force a new IP (I assume it's DHCP, for you) so that it's less hassle. But you can always complain about a DoS attempt to your provider, and they'll likely block it at the carrier-level.