I keep getting fatter, and I'm out of ideas

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Zaffir, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Cliff notes:

Start of September I'm between 190lbs and 200lbs @ 5'11", though I don't have exact numbers. Decide to try to lose some fat.

2 months of gaining fat, not strength or muscle mass, at 2200 calories/day on a 5x5 bill starr routine.

then...

2 months of gaining fat, not strength or muscle mass, at 2000 calories/day on a 5x5 bill starr routine.

then...

2 months of gaining fat, not strength or muscle mass, at 1700 calories/day on a 5x5 bill star routine.

Now: I'm 225lbs.

~160 grams of protein a day, 100 grams of carbs, 90 grams of fat for the last two months. Ratios are pretty much the same over the last 6 months with bigger numbers for periods when I'm eating more.

Sometimes I miss the 3rd day of the 5x5 because my campus gym will be closed for the weekend and I can't work out.

I had to buy new jeans and now i'm struggling to fit into them. What the f?

Long story, only read on if you give a shit:

September/October I got serious about fat loss again: I'd done the fat-> skinny before, then got fat while bulking (but added like 250lbs to my big 3 total), then got more fat after surgery.

I figured with my increased muscle mass and more intense lifting program (sticking with the modified Bill Starr 5x5), ~2200 cals/day would be a good starting point versus the 2000 cals/day from before. Tracked all that shit on Fitday, left weekends open but didn't go crazy. Much like I did when I lost a lot of weight before.

During the week I'm eating even cleaner than before. I'm tracking my diet more closely. The 5x5 is a lot more intense than my more bodybuilder-ish routine I lost weight on before. I'm throwing in cardio if I have time before the gym closes. I'm also walking 1-2 miles a day on campus.

After two months I continued to get fatter. I had to buy new jeans, and decided to drop to 2000 cals/day; it worked for me before, maybe 2000 is the magic number even with my increased activity. Everything else is the same.

After another 2 months, I've put on more fat. It's winter break time, so I decide to use my extra time to focus and push for even lower calories: 1700/day. Still sticking with an absolute minimum of 150 grams of protein a day, generally getting 180+ on workout days. Initially I dropped a few pounds on the scale, but leveled off and came right back up.

Another 2 months and I'm sitting at 225lbs. My before/after pics make it look like I've been eating deep-fried twinkies and binge drinking 4 nights a week for the entire school year. I've got a ton of neck fat and my gut hangs over my belt when I'm sitting in class.

Calorie restriction, what I did two years ago to lose weight, isn't working. What the fuck do I do now? Keto? PSMF? Add in an hour of cardio 5 days a week?

2. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

So you're not getting stronger AND you're not losing weight?

3. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

And I thought MY genetics sucked.

4. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

Hour of cardio a day sounds good to me.

5. resdog01

resdog01 New Member

start runnin fatty

6. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Yup.

Actually, i've added ~20lbs to my deadlift, because my grip is a bit stronger and I can hold the weight now :hsugh:

Yeah. I want to shoot myself. Granted I'm not that strict on the weekend- I'll eat a shitty meal or two. But I'm not putting back 5k cals, and I'm fucking rock-solid during the week.

7. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

I weigh about the same, have shitty genetics, and maintain at ~3.5k, something doesn't sound right

8. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Have thyroid checked.

If that checks out, just shitty genetics. There has yet to be a single documented study where calorie restriction != weight loss. If your thryoid isn't fucked then you just have to go lower or increase activity.

9. NUDES

NUDES New Member

And keep in mind even in starved individuals the most IIRC metabolic rate dropped was like 20%... so check your thyroid.

You could also try increasing cals, carbs, for a bit , maybe too long of being deprived. No science backs that up but plenty of anecdotes do.

10. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

everyone jumps to genetics when it's quite possible the guy just doesn't work hard enough in the gym

11. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

link to your fitday food log?

12. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

That's what I tend to think: any problem I have is something I'm responsible for. I'm quick to blame myself.

I'm not sure how to quantify "working hard enough." I feel like I bust my ass. I work up to my 5 rep max deadlift, squat and bench every monday like the program says. I try to beat those maxes in a 3 rep set on Friday, and I struggle to meet those new maxes next Monday, just like the program says (usually I can't). At the end of every workout i'm fucking dragging. On the off chance that a friend comes to lift with me, they can't keep up. I don't bullshit around in the gym.

But, I can't objectively say I'm at a 5/10 or 9/10 on the "hard work" scale. Where does "coated in sweat and having some trouble walking the day after" fall?

13. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

probably hard enough that you should see better results than you have been :dunno:

14. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Sounds to me like your body is in "starvation" mode. I would refeed for 2 weeks or so, having ~3500 cals a day to get your leptin and thyroid levels up.

It's happened to me before...got to the point where I wasn't losing shit on 1600 cals a day. Bumped it up for a little bit, then settled down to 2500 and I began losing again.

IMO on any calorie-restricted diet you should be having a good cheat meal once a week which will help prevent this from happening.

Keep it clean.

15. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

you ripped the words out of my mouth

and why the 5x5

16. ralyks

ralyks New Member

IMO bump the protein up. How are your meals timed?

17. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

get on a 4-5 day split, eat less carbs and more protein, do about 20 mins of steady state cardio post workout @ 150bpm.

if you don't lose weight eating p45/c25/f30 and lifting 5 days a week/including that cardio your thyroid or something else is messed up

but if you're not running, a 5x5 offers very little in the way of cardiovascular results.

18. gstrdr1

gstrdr1 Active Member

:werd: maybe consider switching to a routine along the lines of Pur's sticky

19. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

underestimating calories?

20. kilian

more like overestimating activity

21. Request.

Request. OT Supporter

How old are you?

What is your stress level like?

What's your energy level like?

Have you noticed any mood swings lately?

22. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

one -

Granted I'm not that strict on the weekend

^ cut that shit out, you're likely way 'less strict' than you think you are

two -

hit at least three hours of pure cardio per week

23. Get_Zwole

Get_Zwole New Member

this

but damn at 1700 cals a day if your doing nothing at all you should be losing a little bit of weight. Like the others i would add in at least 3 hours of cardio a week, if that does nothing either up the cals for a period or get to the doc to get your thyroid checked.

24. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

Thanks for the feedback guys, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Heavy weight, low volume to prevent a loss of muscle mass and promote strength gains. There's plenty of people on here saying that a 5x5 should work fine for weight loss.

Pretty stressed with school and being broke as shit.

Energy is fairly normal- i'm a low key guy, but not lethargic.

I always have mood swings :dunno:

I've been wondering if that's the case. But even still, if I'm at 1700 calories a day and at least SOMEWHAT active, should I be gaining fat?

I'm not pigging out, but i do cheat. I'll go out to eat, or have pizza at a friend's. Not close the Pizza Hut buffet and hit up Krispy Kreme for dessert. Essentially the same as when I lost weight before.

25. kilian

The problem is that you're probably cheating on the off days from the 5x5, and eating decently on the 5x5 days. You may be keeping whatever muscle you have, but without cardio and an active lifestyle you'll more than likely stay at the same weight or increase like you're seeing.

Seriously consider switching to a routine like the NoQuarter sticky, using fitday to track -actually- how many calories you're consuming, and doing post-workout steady state cardio for like 20-30 mins @ 150bpm or above.

I'm just repeating myself, so yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.