I just watched Mystic River

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by WhiteRabbit, Jun 11, 2004.

1. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit The Next Step of Human Evolution

Holy fucking hell what an awesome movie. Not sure about the very ending though.. but the climax by the River/Kitchen was intense. Well done Mr. Eastwood!

2. My favorite scene in the movie is close to the end, when Penn is in the bedroom looking back at what he had done and his wife tells him how he did the right, strong thing and how he's the man. I loved it because she was so fiercely loyal to him, regardless of morality or anything else. It was really moving, I thought.

3. WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit The Next Step of Human Evolution

That was moving.. and disturbing. I think the end was a little hurried though. THe movie could have easily gone on for another 10-15 minutes and it would have easily kept my attention.

4. justbr0dy

justbr0dy Guest

I thought it was a superb movie, just long and drawn out in certain parts.

5. I just watched it on DVD last night. It was the second time I'd seen the movie with the first being at the theatre.

I must say, I enjoyed the second time even more because I could focus on the incredible acting since I wasn't involved with trying to uncover the plot.

And a close runner up to the bedroom scene I mentioned above it scene on the stoop with Jimmy and Dave about halfway through the movie.

6. Eigervue

Eigervue New Member

I liked the movie but my sense of justice was betrayed in the end. The way they justified the unfortunate killing of Dave by saying he died years ago didnt cut it for me. It might have if Penn's character showed more remorse but it is almost as if he's like oops, sorry i killed him, time to get on with my life. And his wife seemed like lady fucking Macbeth there for awhile. I wanted to see penn go down, or show more fucking remorse, he is emotional about his daughter's death yet he doesnt shed tears for his old friend. I dunno It just seemed fucked up to me to end the movie like that but hey I guess in a sense life is fucked up and there arent always sugar coated endings.

7. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

great movie.

8. GoodKnight

GoodKnight New Member

Good movie, but I went to watch it after all the hype started. Was mildly disappointed at first bc I didnt know what to expect. I def want to see it again so I can watch it and appreciate it more.

9. Trev

Trev New Member

Very disturbing. The scene when Sean Penn finds his daughter and has to be restrained by all of the cops is seriously freaky.

10. tstrandh

tstrandh New Member

I agree with the strange since of injustice or atleast impenitence at the end, especially when Sean was talking with Jimmy and didn't seem to care even though he was a detective. One question I have is why in the kitchen scene with Brendon (I think) was he saying his brother was a fake and really could talk?

11. d00d00

d00d00 In cold blood

His brother was the voice on the 911 tape.

To me the ending of the film felt very forced and very false. I think Eastwoods Hollywood leanings got in the way of a great film. The sugar coated ending really disappointed me and I felt it could have been great if it ended about 15 minutes before it did.

12. tstrandh

tstrandh New Member

Yes, thats what I thought since the detectives found out, but how did the brother know or hear the tape? Isn't it kind of ridiculous that that can be faked?

13. d00d00

d00d00 In cold blood

What was faked? The brother had no proof as he hadn't heard the tape, he pretty much figured it out for himself.

14. tstrandh

tstrandh New Member

Fake being a mute.

15. d00d00

d00d00 In cold blood

Oh. Things like that happen all the time. I have a friend who teaches disabled kids. After break some parents met with him and told them that their son hadn't spoken a single word for the entire 2 weeks that he was on break and that they were really worried about him. A few minutes later he heard someone shouting HI SIR HOW WAS YOUR BREAK!?!?! When he looked it was the kid that hadn't spoken a word around his parents for 2 weeks.

16. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I didn't like it as much as most. It seemed to me that Sean Penn and Tim Robbins overacted. The story was interesting however.

17. CodsterTX

CodsterTX OT Supporter

it was good, but wouldn't morpheus be like wtf happened to dave?

18. Eticket109

Eticket109 Nibbles, chew through my ball sack. Moderator

:ugh: 5 and 1/2 year old thread. Nice bump.

19. Nikkerz

Nikkerz New Member

It was filmed all around where I live. I agree it was a great movie