MIL I just wanna be clear on my understanding of Geneva Conventions...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by clever_username, Mar 17, 2007.

1. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

A set of rules governing the treatment of prisoners of war. Most countries signed this in 1949. In 1977, there was a ratification to include (from what I understand) freedom fighters, rebels, guerillas, people of that nature. The United States did not ratify this.

So I guess I'm left wondering why everyone's accusing the U.S. of G.C. violations when we made no agreement to protect the shitheads we're torturing.

Of course I'm probably wrong on all this.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Give the press or the liberals a chance to rip the conservatives or the "establishment", and they will. The facts don't matter.

But having said that, I do count it as a sad thing that we have had to resort to forms of torture.

3. Pump Scout

Pump Scout New Member

Looks that way to me, too. I don't recall the US ever signing any of the GC documents, and the 1977 ratification could be interpreted to include insurgents and guerillas.

Ah, further reading shows two amendments in 1977. Protocol I dealt with insurgents, mercenaries, and other topics. The US did not sign that. Protocol II looks like it covers some treatment of combatants, but does not include sporadic combat, riots, and "internal disturbances". This one the US did sign, but didn't ratify.
    http://www.icrc.org/ihl.nsf/7c4d08d9b287a42141256739003e636b/d67c3971bcff1c10c125641e0052b545

Protocol III is the adoption of a new "Red Cross" symbol, drawn up in 2005. Many countries have signed but few have ratified. The new universal symbol is referred to as the "Red Crystal". How new-age! :p
    [​IMG]

4. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Even if it is the only way to get vital information to save more lives?

5. Ranger-AO

I agree that it is needed in some cases. That doesn't mean that I like it.

6. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

yeah, i do approve of some methods of torture, but only by people who are actually trained to do it.

those assclowns at Abu Ghraib were a bunch of fuckin ground pounders with too much time on their hands, with no formal training in methods of torture. there shoulda been some spooks or something there at all times to handle that. those guys got exactly what was coming to them, and that butterbean lookin guy that ratted them out did the right thing.

7. Ranger-AO

dot

8. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

There was at least one CACI spook there involved in it. Of course they are pretty much untouchable so no legal action ever took place.

9. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i wish we would have gotten in trouble for torturing some people in a way that actually made a difference atleast...not just some people screwing around due to boredom on deployment

10. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

Come again.

11. shiba

shiba Active Member

not true. The united states signed every single geneva convention treaty. However, in order for it to be binding it must also be ratified by congress, which has done so every time except for the two protocls in 1977.