I just used a clay bar for the first time

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by crazy__mike, Jan 19, 2003.

1. crazy__mike

crazy__mike Guest

The instructions on the packages wasn't that great. But it the pruduct was called Clay Magic, Came in a black box. Worked great. I didn't think I needed it, but after I used it, the paint felt like a sheet of glass.

My question is I did back in forworh movement. Was this correct?

My second question is I used some touch up paint from the honda dealership, ($3.46), but it seems like the touch up paint is a little darker then my 11 year old car. So how can I get the paint to match up? I was thinking of useing my #7 polish to work it out a little. What do you think?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

The paint matches if the dealer read your paint code. The problem is that your paint is 11 years old, the paint has faded. See if you can go to Auto Zone and find a closer match with some of their generic touch-up paints. That's what I'd do.

Also, you were correct in the back and forth motion with the claybar.

3. crazy__mike

crazy__mike Guest

Ya, I know about the 11 year old paint, but what can you do. Except get it painted again. Anyone want to do that for free? hahhaa

So auto zone should have some touch up paint. I'm thinking that I'm going to use a little polish to smooth it out and I'll see how it looks after that.....

I really need to get a digital Camera. So you all can see whats going on.

But thanks for the help EMTFirefighter

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

No problem. Get that digicam, I'd like to see what you've got going on over there. Remember to compress them for Scottwax, 56:greddy: :fawk:

5. crazy__mike

crazy__mike Guest

Ya poor scott in the modem of his. 56k should be outlawed. :rofl:

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:fawk: Broadband just became available here...it's just that it refuses to rain on a weekday so I can be home for installation....no rain is great for business and this time of year especially I am not going to complain about it, but it doesn't leave me much time to catch up on stuff like getting broadband.

Now back to the topic. You used the clay bar correctly and I am sure you noticed increased clarity in the paint along with the slickness.

The problem with touch up paint, especially on some colors (like the bordeaux red my Accord is), is that the paint itself is transparent and the final color depends a lot on the color of the primer. If you have a chip that has no primer underneath it, there is no way to match the color 100% and the touched up area looks darker. You can try also using touch up primer first, then use the paint on top.

7. crazy__mike

crazy__mike Guest

Thanks for the help I'll try useing the touch up primer first. But you are right the paint looked so much better after the clay bar. I should have used it when i first got the car. I just didn't know anything about detailing.

How often should I use the clay bar, it said I should use it every time I was the car. Is this right? :bowdown:

8. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I use mine twice a year when I polish.

9. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Use the clay bar as often as you need it. I may clay mine once every 18 months or so. Just doesn't need it that often, but I also keep mine clean and waxed all the time and don't park under trees.

10. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You need to wax after you clay, the clay will strip the wax, correct?

If that's the case, I don't think you'll want to wax every time you wash.

11. luvthong

luvthong Guest

Can I use it every 6 months? I did mine last summer, but I parked under tress all the time and there are many tree drops on it:mad:

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I use mine every 6. Everytime I polish, I clay.