I just saved $26,000

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RibeyeAndScotch, Apr 15, 2008.

1. RibeyeAndScotch

RibeyeAndScotch OT Supporter

I'll make this quick.

I almost fell for that computertraining.com scam. Thank god for google. After reading about 3 of 15+ reports at ripoffreport.com and doing some reading on OT, I realized I saved 6 months and $26,000.

So now I'm gonna do it all on my own. I wanna do it right. Buying guides from fravo.com and get the A+ first, then Network, and hopefully MCSE.

I noticed there is the VUE and the Prometric version. Whats the difference?? And can I register for A+ and Network+ at the same time?

Anybody in Chicago wanna hookup a fellow soldier with a entry level position?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

mostly the certs are worthless. mcse is the only one they care about, and even then it's field-dependent.

are you trying to avoid a real college education?

3. RibeyeAndScotch

No. I just want something to get started while I goto college. Grabbing A+ and Network+ shouldnt be too long and I hopefully I can land an entry level position to help pay bills while I goto school.

4. RibeyeAndScotch

On second thought, I hear great things about actualtest.com. $100 for all the study material I need? Is this the real deal?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you don't need that shit. it's worthless.

6. RibeyeAndScotch

Seeing as most employers wont even look at my resume, I need something to get my foot in the door. Even with a military background, I'm sure they still prefer certs over random person's word.

If its worthless, what do you suggest?

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm sure you'd be able to schedule one after the other if they have time and you are up to it.

I've used Fravo.com for a few guides and I highly recommend them.

Now, if I can just get myself to finish up my MCSE...

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The first job almost always comes from nepotism. Hell, I had a bachelor's degree in software engineering and the guy who hired me was the son of the guy who chaired the SE department at my school. This after nine months of sending out job apps and going to interviews.

Once you get the first job, it gets a hell of a lot easier.

9. RibeyeAndScotch

um, whats the difference with the VUE and Prometrics?

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/2.0 (compatible; MSIE 3.02; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Certs are worthless with this thread as reason. Anyone can spend a few $$$ and pass a test, but it means nothing in terms of skills or knowledge. Try to find a place where you can work for free for a bit to learn. You know, a parent's friend's small business or a place where yoy can volunteer. Get something on your resume.

11. JJC1823

JJC1823 OT Supporter

Im doing my certs for mcse, and also doing my bachelors in university. i sign up through prometrics. I paid 7,000 in my university for mcse classes. I think i got lucky becuase my instructor really teaches us about active directory you can give him any questions and he'll answer it, He really knows his stuff. he also gives us life scenarios that hes had to do with either AD or creating a new AD environment. we use vm's alot so we can practice. but he said that what he teaches is only a small portion of what you should know, and that you should also self study.

i also work for a company that does offsite storage media, im a supervisor and ive talk to different companies in the IT department. yeah they dont really care about certs, but they told me its a good way to get in the door.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  12. RibeyeAndScotch

Exactly. $300 or less to increase my chances of getting my foot in the door.

13. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I almost went to Computertraining.com

I even went down to the place in Lancaster, PA and sat in on a class. Seemed legit to me.

14. rich04

rich04 New Member

Wow, sorry to hear you almost did that shit...We've worked with them before, they're shit

15. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

go get some experience. it is possible, but remember that computer field has become extremely competitive, especially at the entry level. everyone and their brother (including you) think you can just buy some books, pass some tests and get a job that pays you 6 figures.

when i was looking for interns, i would much rather see a person who went out there and got some experience through some random way than anyone with a cert. generally certs came from people who were looking for an easy way in.

16. RibeyeAndScotch

are you guys hiring?

17. rich04

rich04 New Member

Looking for an intern/techy admin assistant with potential for a full-time position...we actually have a craigslist ad out right now

18. 1999TL

1999TL New Member

I thought I was going to read you switched to Geico.

19. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

Yeah sorry, certifications are worthless without experience backing them. They're "just OK" to supplement experience...I've been working in this field for 11 years now and I've never considered a certification when hiring someone, nor have any of my bosses. We usually just skip that part of the resume. Sometimes it even influences our decision negatively because a lot of people that don't really know what they're doing get lots of certifications to make themselves look better, but then when you actually interview them they're morons.