I just put my down payment on a 2008 Ninja 250R.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Swift, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

I'm getting the black one, first bike, I'm so exicted that I wet myself not once, not tiwice, but 3 TRILLION times! :naughty:

Anyone have any tips for a total newbie rider? :)

Here are some pics because I know OT likes threads with pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nihilistix

nihilistix Feels bad man

:cool: They really did a great job redesigning the new 250. Now if they could just update the 500 similarly I will be all over it. Congrats, and definatly post more pics when you get the bike!

3. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

Get your flame suit on mang. I've been riding an '05 2fiddy for the past like 8 months now and catch nothing but flak for it. Going to pickup a new SV650 sometime next month though :wiggle:

I don't regret buying one at all for my first bike, just time to move on.

4. comatose

comatose New Member

Honestly, if you outgrew your EX250 in 8 months, you're not really riding as you should be.

People give you flack for riding a 250, little do they know that if you ride properly, a 250 could out nimble a 600 and definitely a liter bike in the twisties.

I started off with an EX500, and still haven't outgrown the bike. I've dropped it plenty, lowsided once, but i've still not outgrown the bike. It's not as fast, as pretty, as throaty (exhaust note wise), or as "cool" as other sport bikes or SS, but it does what all the other ones do, maybe not as quickly, but there's always someone on a smaller bike that's quicker than you.

If you let what people say "I started off on a 750, why'd you start on a 250?" and let it get to you, you'll only be forcing yourself into troubled times.

The guys i know who started on smaller more forgiving bikes, are the guys i know who can actually use a 600 sportbike to the majority of it's abilities.

The guys starting off on a 600-750-liter are the guys who can only go fast in the straights.

For what it's worth, Good choice on the bike. When you're done Keep it as a track/daily driver. I never have to worry about my bike being stolen because the f4i or the gixxer next to me is always more desirable. Hhahahahha. But if you decide to sell it, resale is very good compared to other Sportbikes.

5. LiveSideways

LiveSideways Two bitches at the same time, synchronized swimmer

Shitty stock tires won't hold the corners and I'm pretty much WOT my whole trip. I'd like to think I'm a responsible rider in a sense that I don't want to go to an SS bike yet. I'd like to do some time on a new SV, then maybe in a year or so go to a GSX-R/R6/Etc. I'm in no hurry to own something I can't properly handle.

6. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

Try some Sport Demons before you ditch the bike, they can handle quite a bit.

First I got to where I was dragging hard parts because I was riding straight up, and then I started hanging off (and being faster, but having larger chicken strips). I never had any issues with the Sport Demons, and it's a lot cheaper than a new bike. It'll feel like a whole new bike though, trust me.

7. Swift

My response when people say anything about "250? WTF?!" is "It's my first bike, not my last one", and if they don't even have a bike, I add a "and fuck you!" :)

But seriously, I can't wait, it's going to be a blast. :big grin: I'll post pictures when I get it, it's not in the dealerships yet :|

8. toezter

toezter New Member

9. V!

V! New Member

:bowrofl:

10. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

QUoted from another thread asking for advice.

It doesn't matter jack shit whether it's a ZX14, a 250 or a 50cc moped, if you ride like a dumbass doing stupid shit in traffic like stunting or racing, you can kill yourself all the same on any of them.

11. V!

V! New Member

:werd:

You can kill yourself regardless of engine size

Good luck on the 250

12. comatose

comatose New Member

To add to this...

Use this bike as a learning tool. It's an entry level bike. And since it's your first, you're at entry level too. Don't be so quick to trade it in for a bigger better sports bike. Infact, many guys i know want to get the new 250 when it comes on. These guys have been riding for years!

If you feel the need to upgrade, do it in regards to the skills you've learned. Not everyone can start out on a 600, and not everyone can jump from a 250 to a liter bike and be okay with it.

Take a safety course. Be it MSF, or a knowledgeable trusting friend. It former is a better choice though. Your friend may want you to be at their skill level far too fast, which is a disaster waiting to happen.

As stated above, ride as if you're invisible...a single headlight throws people way off. Even if you're only 100 yards from them coming in the opposite direction...
    Better yet, it throws them way off especially if you're 100 yards from them. They assume it's two headlights from far away, and dont gauge the distance properly.

Watch out for the left hand turners...you know, you're going straight, they're coming from the opposite direction, and they wanna turn left (your right) and boom, you're flying.

Depending on where you're from and your age, it may determine how you ride, and how you go about getting your license.

Just ride, and take it easy the first few hundred miles...accidents don't happen when you first start riding, because you're always careful...It happens when you start to get confident. That sometimes leads to overconfidence. Don't be too worried about dropping the bike, be worried about that asshole whose putting on her makeup, reading his newspaper, rolling his joint, smacking her kids...

If you're in CA, be careful of Prius owners and BMW's. They're too stupid and/or too cocky to realize you're there most of the time.

As with anything in life, experience comes with only time and trial, hopefully not too many errors.

Learn from your mistakes, pick up some riding books (you can usually find them free on some forums), don't be afraid to go "too easy," it may save your life.

13. DCgirly

DCgirly New Member

Fantastic first bike!

You will learn a lot faster on that as opposed to something faster.

I wish I started out on a 250.

Some advice.... Ride it in your neighborhood for a long time. Dont go on the highway for a while.... and ride by yourself for a while, you will find yourself riding A LOT faster than what you should.

Pick up something like an SV650S for your next bike.

14. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i'm getting a black one myself... also first bike
    i'm getting my gear ordered, piece by piece...
    any word on when it's finally coming out? i asked the dealership to call me when they arrive, but no word on my end...

they give you an eta?

15. Swift

:bigthumb:

They are out!!!!!
    http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsy1qgoG6yo
    http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?p=1094551
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=26441309

My dealership doesn't have mine yet though.

16. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

17. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

:rofl:
    I would have loved to have seen Tim on that trip. I'll have to ask him if he'll do another one on the 2008 to compare it to that previous model.

18. darksands

darksands New Member

Excellent choice on your bike. It will be a really good learning tool. I know a couple guys up in Angeles Crest that take out 600cc riders with 250's. I would suggest reading some books on sport riding and put into practice the techniques in those books little by little.

Ride safe!

19. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

Funny thing is man.. with my personally.

The less power you have.. the more you want..
    As you know i have a Kwaka ZX9 - which when i first got it scared the shit out of me.. now its slow. I might change gears on it.. just to get more 'fun' out of the lower end and to do more wheelies.. which will in turn cause me to be in more danger =/

lol.. im bored with bikes. i think i need a shitty FWD girl car to settle down into.

20. Swift

rofl, I read that one already and I love it... oh, and I read the book "Sport Riding Techniques", not bad shit.

heh, zx9r slow? Get a busa? You're crazy lololololol

21. BlkDrgnZ28

BlkDrgnZ28 OT Supporter

invest in a set frame sliders it will save you a lot of heartache if-when you lay it down and don't "grab" the brakes in a turn

22. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

that's presuming someone makes sliders for it, the old 250 didn't have any available.