"I just put it at a decent weight and do all the reps I can, thats how you get toned"

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Alias, Mar 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alias

Alias OT Supporter

I've been hanging out with a new group of people lately, the one who introduced me to them has been doing a lot of PL training, preaches squats and deadlifts like none other, etc. So I figured the rest of the people he hung out with were fairly educated too....

So last night I was talking to one of them and he said "I just put it at a decent weight and do all the reps I can, thats how you get toned".

That sure did it :o

What do you guys say when you hear this? I told him "muscles either grow or they don't, you don't get 'bulky' because you do more weight, definition is based completely on bodyfat, think about it, if you look around and see everyone that is ripped, they're really lean, do you think its a coincidence that EVERYONE that is ripped is really lean?"

2. AaronOC

AaronOC Guest

:ugh: don't ever speak to these people again

3. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

well you can look at like this too..if hes doing a ton of reps AND volume an sweating his balls off then hes burning more cals as well..hence the tone. Its indirectly related...why do you think i change my rep scheme when im getting ready? To burn more cals..but ya im sure he didnt have my explanation in his little brain.

4. Durk

Durk New Member

But most will just curl the 10lb dumbell and therefore aren't really busting ass :dunno:

5. Merit83

Merit83 Your mama was a snowblower!

So you are saying lighter weight/higher reps builds muscle just like higher weight/lower reps? :dunno:

What about people who run or who bike for endurance. Why are they still stick skinny but have tons of definition.

I never really did get that high/low rep scheme thing. I was just always told higher weight/lower reps builds muscle and strength, and lower weight/ higher reps, doesn't build as well, just tightens the muscle ie more definition.

6. Elfling

Elfling New Member

There's some "generally" accepted rep ranges for endurance, strength and hypertrophy- they're different. In general yeah- heavier weight/lower reps = more strength and more growth.

7. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

not more growth, youve got to have the mechanical volume to produce hypertrophy

9. PurEvl

reps + moderate to heavy...winnar

10. PurEvl

well ya but i dont even acknowledge someone like that

11. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Volume isn't just number of reps in a set though :dunno: a high-volume workout can be a lot of 1-3 rep sets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.