SRS I just lost my job...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bearsdidit, Oct 4, 2005.

1. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Well as of right now I'm suspended but I will found out today if I'm actually termed or not... Its about 99% sure though. I'm feeling extremely depressed, I have enough money to cover the next's months rent and bills but after that I'm empty. I've looked into unemployment but I'm not sure if I will get it due to the fact I was fired.

This is putting a lot of stress on my girl and I, but my gf is taking it like a champ. She is being very understand and supportive. I started looking for another job but it will be hard to find something that pays what my last job did... I have no college degree. What am I to do?

2. AmCo

AmCo Haters goin' Hate

why did you get fired?

3. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

I dont want to get into it right now... I'll let you guys know for sure once its final.

4. teo

teo . => ? => !

Find a band-aid for the short-term (EI or a less desireable position), then decide what you're going to do with your future. Will you re-educate yourself for another career? Continue with the same industry for another company?

We can give you better emotional support when we know what really happened. :hs: :hug:

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

I've looked into unemployment and I should receive around 350 or so a week. Hopefully that will pan thru and give me a little bit more of a cushion. I really want to get into real estate sales so i have been on monster.com etc

6. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Real estate is crashing.

Can I give you a quick tip? GO QUIT RIGHT NOW. Yes, you will lose unemployment, but you will also not have to answer the dreaded "Have you ever been terminated" question for future jobs. I never thought it would matter, but 4 years later I got denied a GOOD job because I was fired for some pussy political crap that made me look like an idiot.

Think hard about it.

There are lots of jobs - go find one.

7. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Thanks for the advice... I never thought I'd be in this position. The more I think about it, the more I'm depressed, its a really shitty feeling.

8. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Take charge. End the job yourself. You stay in control. Then go find something to fill the cracks while you look for another real job.

9. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Does anyone know for sure if I'll be able to collect unemployment... I've been with the company for over 5 years.

10. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

If you "End the job yourself" you will NOT get unemployment. Let them fire you. Try to end this work relationship the best that you can. Own-up to your shortcomings and tell them that you will do better in your next position. (Tell them that you hope for a good recommendation.) They don't want to mess up your life, they just want you out of there. Look for new work with a positive attitude...make right the things you did wrong.

11. GlassUser

GlassUser send an email not a pm OT Supporter

Usually you won't get unemployment if they fire you either, unless you can prove that it wasn't for anything you did. Fired vs laid off.

12. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

It might work different from State to State....but I'm fairly confident you'll get unemployment if you get fired. I don't think you have to demonstrate the reason...the employer just has to file it as an involuntary termination of employment.

The state office will then just determine your payment amount depending on how long you've had your job and how much you were getting paid.

Think positive. I was "involuntarily" terminated a couple months back too... but so far it's turned out to be the greatest thing that's happened in years. I'm now getting more business then I can handle.

Turn this situation to your advantage. As DS above had recommended, go out with your head held high. Let them fire you, but leave with dignity. A good deal of my current business referrals are coming from my former employer.

13. smokeater270

smokeater270 New Member

I deliver pizza part time for papa johns, and make enough money to pay for rent split 3 ways and pay the bills too, 51 in tv, water, electric, sofa, ect. total comes to about 400-500 a month for each of us. The job is good, and if you work in a good area, where you get a lot of runs, you'll make quite the amount of $$ in tips (cash each night under the table). Working as a waiter might also be a temporary solution.

A more perminant solution might be going to night school classes and finding classes that you like. I know im a little biased here, but may be a job as an EMT or Paramedic would suit you well. Pay is ok, but the job security is great with a great pension plan at the end. Same with firefighting.

Hope the best for you and that all works out well.

14. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Thanks guys for the responses... I go in on Thursday with a meeting with the boss...

15. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

shit didn't mean to push reply... but as of right i'm going to apply for unemployment, i should get about 350 a week, I have a side job lined up, I'll be installing at a local shop for 130-150 bucks a day... I'll be able pay my bills and live the way I'm accustomed to until I find something more permenant.

With regards to references, I have a great working relationship with all my managers and coworkers, lol the guy thats firing me still considers me a friend.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

This is the Asylum... you gonna share what happened yet? Nobody is gonna rag on you for it.

17. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

I padded the amount of hours I worked.... over the course of a couple months. They only nkow of a few instances..

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

So they fired you already at this point?

19. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its only a job its not your life. If you get laid off as much as i have been in my life (this 2 year old job is the longest of my life) Then you understand what it is to get a beating, the depression afterwards is actually pretty senseless , i think more in terms of (well it was only a boring and stupid job anway, time for a new start) i mean the benefit of a new job is a new enviroment and a new experience, so there's actually something possibly benefitial about a new job. New collegue's maby a better paying job, maby a better enviroment well a lot of things. Life is like a minefield sometimes you step on one ,an explosion follows and if you find that you are still save and sound you stand up and carefully walk further.

20. RotiEatter

RotiEatter New Member

So stole from a company basically... damn

And you are getting fired... I hope you can speak well, you're gonna have to sell yourself very well at your next job interview.

What was your job by the way?

21. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

I'll for sure on Thursday... I'll give you guys an update from there...

22. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

The second... its not like I did it everyday, I would come in and work, take a long lunch run errands etc and then come back and finish my shift. At the end of my shift I would fill out a time card saying I came in earlier then I did etc.

23. PocoDiablo

PocoDiablo New Member

Quick tip - if you broke the law or violated company rules you will NOT get unemployment. I *strongly* recommend you quit RIGHT NOW.

However, if you can PROVE you simply made up for times you worked/not worked, and actually under-billed then you should go in there and fight like crazy.

How many times have you taken a slightly long lunch break, but never took any - and I mean ANY - ten minute breaks? How many days have you stayed for an extra 5-10 minutes, but did not put it down on your timesheet? If that is the case, tell them to get a clue and if they decide to fire you it will be followed up with a lawsuit for wrongful termination. They will have to PROVE you were working less than you put on your timesheet, and that they have all records for it.

If you did work all hours on the timesheet, go in there and get your job back. If you padded it more than 15 minutes anywhere or on any kind of a regular basis, get the fuck out before they put you in jail or worse. Let them know you found a new job so you quit.

24. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

Theres really no way for them to prove I didn't work the hours I put down. Truthfully, the company owes me time for not taking lunches and working off the clock. Its beyond my control right now, its up to HR.

25. silsurf28

silsurf28 New Member

Employment laws are different from state to state, in IL even if you quit there is a good chance you'll get unemployment. We fired a girl once because she was late alot ( and by late I mean 30+mins after shift start) well no one ever wrote her up, and when the SM fired her she went to unemploy office, which went to a hearing and she got it. But I agree better to quit, at least it's your own terms, and tell unemploy the truth. All they could say is no.