I just installed a Neuspeed rear swaybar on my Passat.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, May 25, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's kickass. I don't know what the hell VW was thinking when they decided not to spec a swaybar on the rear axle.

(and no, the U-beam connecting the two rear wheels doesn't count as a swaybar, not in any meaningful sense relative to the weight of the car anyway.)

2. golftdibrad

golftdibrad New Member

That would be because most people don't know how to drive. Thier panic response is BRAKES.

3. deusexaethera

Oddly, my first instinct has always been to steer, even before I (consciously) understood the physics of steering vs. braking. Of course, now that I DO understand the physics, I might as well say it: steering is instant -- braking is not instant. Instant is fast, and fast is good when you have fractions of a second to work with.

4. golftdibrad

golftdibrad New Member

Its hard to train yourself to not immediately hit the brakes. I still do, but i drive very aware of the surroundings - always conscious of emergency lanes, medians and turnoffs. Its also worthy to note that in alot of situations the worst thing to do is stop. Like if someone is running a red light and your already moving quickly.

Anyway.... I want to get a RSB for my rabbit. It will really help the thing turn better me thinks. May have to ditch the front with my new exhaust so we'll see how that works first. I've driven a rabbit with no FSB, and while its quick and sticks well i just don't like the feel of the car. lots of body roll and feels sluggish.

5. deusexaethera

You can't really remove both swaybars (or just the one, if that's all you have) unless you've got much stiffer springs than normal. Swaybars are installed on cars to improve lean-resistance to compensate for the soft springs they use, so customers can get nice, cushy ride quality without the car leaning like a Mac truck on a hairpin. If you have springs that are actually stiff enough to provide enough lean-resistance by themselves, then you can remove the swaybars, but I'd be hesitant to remove just one if you have two to start with -- it's good to have less lean-resistance on the drive wheels so they'll stay anchored better in corners, but you don't want the difference between the two axles to be too dramatic or the handling will become unpredictable.