A&P i just inquired about a media pass for a racing event

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Nader_D, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

I already got denied for a local horse jumping show as they only give passes to people who work directly for the news papers. I said i was an independent photographer with contacts in media. im going to the event regardless, just need to borrow a coworkers 70-300 instead.

anyways, i applied for this event which im attending as a spectator anyways and i figure why not try my luck.

i know some of the people in this subforum are pro's and probably dont have any issue getting passes now, but do you have any insight on how i should proceed (this is aside from my skills as a photographer, more of a business side of things)

for your time, here is a crappy picture i have taken recently

[​IMG]

2. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

The advice I give is that if you get the pass, PLEASE stay out of the way who are down there doing their JOB. There are few things I hate more in life than the Joe Camera down there getting in my way with his 70-300 ...

3. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

As far as advice for getting passes? Get a job that warrants you being down where the press is supposed to be...

4. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

My Advice:
    If you want to be where the pros are... Be a pro.

Work for someone that will need those images.

I concur with Adam, i hate shooting a concert when so joe blow has his point and shoot in the photo pit, flashing away and literally getting in my images

5. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

Oh snap! Sorry, Nader!

[​IMG]

6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Just print and laminate OTAP press pass.

7. Nader_D

:hs:

i hear what you are saying and i can understand from your perspective how it can be annoying for joe camera to be down there. those guys are getting paid to produce good pictures and jack assery by amaters can definately be annoying.

for this event in specific, i just want the pass to get on the 1 corner where we will hopefully be staying so i can in that little bit closer. but to be honest, i dont think ill be getting a pass.

im trying to get some experience and learn some things from people who do this (aka some of you on OT) but as much as it makes me seem like a bitch, you guys had your first press badge and im sure you werent mr pro photographer and pissed people off. its a learning experience.

im working on my photos and although they still suck i can see some better pics coming from my shoots. i think this is just a great opportunity if im given a pass to learn how the pros really work and if its for me. i would be asking mroe questions than taking pictures if i can befriend a pro photog at the event.

8. sony

sony Active Member

If you have media contacts, contact them and get them to get you in. If you were lying about that get the fuck out man. I'm sick of douchebags like you getting in my way at the track. :gtfo:

9. sony

sony Active Member

I shot photography for a car club and went out to their track days to shoot. This was great experience and I didn't have to step on anyone's toes or get in anyone's way. My first two real track events were shot from the grand stands and from that coverage I was hired to shoot for a website then a couple magazines. There are legitimate avenues for you to get experience and learn. Lying about it and being unethical isn't the right way though.

What? So not only do you plan in getting in people's way but you're intending to arrive and bug people while they work? :io: Track event isn't a Q&A session. If you want to learn why not look up some local race photographers and send them an e-mail with questions, strike a converation with them and work from there. You're going about this the entirely wrong way.

10. Nader_D

alright ill be sure to never try something new and exciting to try and expand my career so i dont piss you off.

11. Nader_D

im going to the event REGARDLESS of wether i get a media pass or not. im driving all the way out there, why not try my luck to get a better seat at the event. i wasnt lying when i said i have contacts but its not necessarily for this exact type of event.

12. sony

sony Active Member

A media pass isn't a ticket to fun times. For the majority of the people there it is their livelihood. The fact that you take it so nonchalantly is honestly insulting and rude. I don't see how anyone there would "befriend" you with your shitty attitude.

13. Nader_D

i dont think you read any of my above posts kind sir.

14. Nader_D

now that its a shit show, ill let the rest of you start the bashing while i eat dinner

:wavey:

15. turbodude

Please please dont do this.

Otherwise you will be just another asshat on the internet complaining that pro photogs are ego-maniacs and are rude to everyone.

If you want to learn, you find someone to assist. Offer your ASSISTING services to some pros around your town or city. Then if/when you get the hired. LEAVE YOUR CAMERA AT HOME, unless you cleared it with the photog. Some people dont mind you bringing your camera and some people will flip out.

Thats the way you will learn.

16. sony

sony Active Member

At my last event I went to go get food at break time because I was starving. I cut lunch early so I could scope out a good spot on the track to shoot from. Having an area in mind, I head over there to find out that 3 people had camped out there since the break started. As I got closer I realized that they only had one P&S between the 3 of them and they were hogging one of the better vantage points on the track. :mad: :mad: :mad:

17. sony

sony Active Member

WRONG. I've read it and I've already responded to your brilliant ideas about getting in people's way and bothering them while they work. You seem to be insistent on doing it so go ahead and be a douchebag.

18. Nader_D

trust me dude, if anyoen who was a pro asked me to move i would in a HEARTBEAT

this is currently my hobby, not my profession. not only that i know their pictures will be better than mine by 1111231238109231982 times. like i said im trying to learn and turbodude has given me some good advice to try out. not just call me some idiot and im ruining it for everyone.

19. sony

sony Active Member

What? Have you even read any of my posts? :ugh:

20. alexromo

alexromo New Member

lol

21. Nader_D

i like how you took the time to italics your word

aside from that i did, you shot from the grandstands 2 shows which is more than likely what i will be doing when i get denied a media pass.

22. Nader_D

anyways, if anyone else feels like slamming me - this thread seems to be the place. im outta here :wavey:

23. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

except this is true, I was one of them. :wiggle:

although I wasn't as much as an asshole as some of the other guys were.

24. turbodude

you have no idea. I have to hold back so much sometimes. But when im in the moment shooting something important, and some doucher comes up to be and are like "Hey man whats your settings, why are you using that lens, why arent you allowed to use flash" I fuckin lose it.

25. sony

sony Active Member

:rofl: