GUN I just inherited several guns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by F8Lstang, May 12, 2007.

1. F8Lstang

F8Lstang in savasana

My father passed away a few years ago, and my mother doesn't want his guns in her new house (shes moving) so his whole collection is mine. I get:

1 large gun safe
    1 gun cleaning kit
    1 Magtech 12 gauge shotgun
    1 Ruger 10/22 rifle with some sort of bushnell scope
    1 Winchester model 94-30-30 (rifle?)
    1 Glock 26
    1 Ruger MarkII pistol
    and 50 or so boxes of assorted ammo

I know next to nothing about guns and have a few questions:

Do I need to register the transfer of ownership with the police in AZ or NV? How and who?

I will be driving from her house in phoenix to mine in vegas, do I need any sort of paperwork or permits? Do the guns need to be in cases separated from the ammo or anything like that?

I am not interested in hunting, so I will probably sell the rifles and shotgun, and keep the handguns for target shooting/home protection. What sort of permits or classes do I need to be 100% legal?

From what I've read on here, the 22 pistol is the best to learn on before I load up the glock, anything else I should know?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

www.packing.org for local laws
    statewise none require registration, but I believe the city/county in Vegas may require handgun registration, no classes need if your not going for any permits(hunting or conceal carry). Generally while transporting guns and ammo should be kept seperate, keep the guns in the trunk and ammo inside the car.

3. F8Lstang

F8Lstang in savasana

good link, gracias

4. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Very nice! :cool:

I may be interested in the 10/22....

5. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

The model 94 is the quintessential lever-action rifle, chambered in the classic 30-30 cartridge. You've probably seen it dozens of times in westerns. It's allegedly sufficient for most larger game in North America at medium ranges, but not as powerful as most other larger cartridges on the market.

I might be interested in it, since I'm returning a borrowed (very similar) Marlin 336 this weekend.

6. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I'd hold on to that 10/22 too. They are ALOT of fun for plinking. They are the most prolific .22 rifle of all time. You wouldn't get more than $75 as a trade in, and its worth far more than that just for a fun plinking rifle. Take it to the range with some empty pop cans and let the good times roll.

The load out you have sounds exactly like what every good american house should have in it. That 30-30 is a great rifle in a shit hit the fan scenario. Ammo is easy to find, and has the same power as a 7.62x39 round (what the AK uses).

Yes, the .22 pistol is a good pistol to learn good habits on.

If you want a gun for home protection, I'd go with the 12 gauge. 00 Buck has 15 9mm sized pellets in it vs one bullet coming out of that pistol. I have a whole slew of guns in my house, and the 12 gauge is what I keep under the bed and what I awnser the door with when someone knocks at odd hours.

You do not need to register anything, or take any classes as long as you are not interested in Concealed Carry in public places. What you do on your private property is up to you. If you want to put the glock up your ass and walk around, your free to do it. However, if you venture on to public land with out your CCL you need the gun and its ammo in seperate cases.

7. t1h

t1h Guest

so your taking the firearms across state lines from AZ to NV? i think you may need to transfer them through a 01 FFL.

8. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I'd keep em all. :) I remember you :eek3:.

9. striker754

striker754 Chillin

now technically everyone of those needs to go through an FFL, but....

10. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

If guns don't need to be registered in either state, why would you need to?

If you get pulled over, just say your going on a hunting trip with some friends?

11. striker754

striker754 Chillin

because the federal government controls interstate commerce.

12. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

And who's selling what and when?

He inherited some shit, its his.

I see no reason, as long as both states do not require gun registration, to go through an FFL.

Now, if you were moving to New York, it'd be a different story.

And all of my guns I have no reciept for. I've either purchased some for cash at gun shows, or from friends for cash, or from my FFL for cash. They just give me a reciept for my 30 day return, it does not have the make or model on it.

13. striker754

striker754 Chillin

when it crosses state lines and involves residents of different states. yes.

great, you purchased guns for cash without receipt. thats called intrastate commerce.

14. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I purchased 2 AK's from a friend who lives in state, with cash.

I have no reciept. He has no reciept.

The burden of proof is on the state. I have no proof saying I bought these in state, the thread starter has nothing saying they came from out of state, unless they are coming from a state that requires gun registration.

Not the law, just my opinion.

15. striker754

striker754 Chillin

???? the federal government doesnt control what goes on in your state with certain exceptions. Of course you dont have to follow the law but it is the law, and if you get caught, well, have fun.

understand that guns that go across state lines, per the law, have to go through ffls

16. t1h

t1h Guest

what matters is the law, and not your opinion :hsugh:

and to my knowledge, interstate transfers of firearms to non-licensees requires an 01 FFL in the state of the resident they are being transferred to, to have the 01 FFL fill out a form 4473 and run the NICS check.

i would not fuck around with gun laws and play it safe and go to a store and ask them what to do. i'd rather pay $20 per gun to have them legally transferred then possess them illegally.

17. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I understand that.

All my point was, is that, well...who's going to know?

How would they PROVE you did anything illegal? If the state they come from does not require registration, none of the guns are on file anywhere.

So put them in a locked case in your trunk. Drive home.

Once your in your home state, they have no proof of how you acquired them, unless the serial numbers are written down in the state they came from somewhere.

The burden of proof is on the state, and they have none.

If you get caught on the way there, say "I was going to my friend bob's house. We were going to do some target shooting"

I assure you people move between states all of the time and do not even think about FFL's for their shotguns or hunting rifles.

18. striker754

striker754 Chillin

Yea, except that they aren't transferring the firearm. You don't really know what you are talking about.

I never said you would get caught, but there is always that risk.

EDIT: and really they would probably have a decent circumstantial case against you if they wanted to pursue it, which a jury would possibly convict on

19. t1h

t1h Guest

the ownerships of the weapons is on file with the 01 FFL in AZ that they were purchased from, and not on file with an 01 FFL. whether that info is in the possession of the ATF i don't know, but i wouldn't risk it.

this guy is transferring them from his mom to himself. people moving between state is not a transfer of ownership.

20. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Shit.

I just reread the first post. I didn't realize they were his dads and he died. I probably should have read closer.

Yeah, go through an FFL. You have no clue where they came from and where they are on file at. In this case I'd play it safe.

If I was just moving though, I have serious problems with paying to transfer items that I already own.

21. striker754

striker754 Chillin

except that you dont have to.

22. F8Lstang

F8Lstang in savasana

gun shops in vegas and az both said its ok to travel with them as long as they arent loaded, and the hand guns will need registered when I get to vegas

23. F8Lstang

F8Lstang in savasana

I think I will keep it for when the zombies come :noes: