I just got Focal's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

They sound very nice. I am just going to use the two 6.5's with no back speakers in the car. I need to know what would be the best sub for these speakers. The sound from focals is very clean and crisp hadly any noise. I want a very clean bass sound. I am looking for the "hit" not the rumble. Sorry I dont know the terms for these things but you get my drift right. Any suggestions.
    :wavey: :cool: :wavey:

2. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

What Focals? What amp? Details please... details. :fawk:

3. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

check out Image Dynamics IDQ woofers :)

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

OK they are the Focal Polyglass 165v components 6.5's. I am looking for either a single sub or a double sub. I think I am going to go with a single 12" sub. I really dont know car audio that well. To make it really sound good I hear you have to position the speakers correctly which takes a lot of listening and time. I dont want to rumble my car apart but I do want a nice sounding system. I have a small amp that I can use for the focals presently but will most likely need to be swapped out in the future. I am going to concentrate on headunit/sub for now. I need to know which sub/amp I can get that will most compliment the focals. Once again I am not going to dump the block but I do want to be able to turn the music up. I saw a post on the kicker solobaric L7 12 and thought about looking into that. . I will build it up piece by piece. Right now headunit comes first. Im thinking about the alpine 7894 mp3 reciever and the more I read the more I am set on getting it, but I want a screen so Im torn. Any suggestions will be appreciated.:ugh2:

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

both Image Dynamics IDQ and /////ALPINE Type-R's would compliment the Focal's very well. :big grin:

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

I checked out the Image dynamics and the major complaint is that they are not loud enouph. With two Focal's running 75watts apiece (can take up to 150) off this tiny little amp I have (200 watts) Im not sure that once I get the new amp for the focals that they will not overpower the ID sub. Ive read that the sub uses more power than what the specs say and if you run more power then you will get a louder fuller sound, but I dont know if I will be giving up SQ for that. I also checked out the Solobaric L7 and I dont like the way it looks so Im going to shy away from that. As you can see I am planning waaaaaay ahead. :) Alright Ill look at the Alpine type r's. Thanks

7. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

What do yall think of this sub. Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1 D Ive been looking at it and it has gotten great reviews. Anyone have one or better yet 2. :)

8. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

:rofl: the Image Dynamics IDQs have more linear excursion than the Type Rs so if you expect the type r's to be louder your wrong. Two IDQs can play in the low 140s all day long if you cant do that then you or your installer is a moron. Hell im doing high 130s with 1 IDQ 12 and 320 rated rms watts. Who ever said they dont get loud enough is an idiot. Get the IDQs you wont be disapointed.

9. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

I'm going to be running some Focal components up front in my car. I'm waiting for the amp to come in for them. I have the headunit already(Eclipse) and I found my sub amp(Avionix). I'm basically going with an Adire Audio Brahma 12". All I have to do now is figure out if I want a sealed or ported box. Both will have extremely nice SQ and hit in the 140's.

10. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

I second what Loudsystem said about the IDQs. They're cheap and they sound WAY TOO GOOD for the price. Give them a whirl.

11. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I have the idq10 d4. I paid about 130 for it and put it in a homemade .55cu feet sealed box. It does the job I like. Not too loud, not too soft, just right. I consider it a great sub. I haven't listened to many subs out there, I just went off the recommendation from this board and I'm happy with it. I mostly listen to rock and alternative.

12. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

I'd personally go with the Adire Shiva. Both are awesome inexpensive subs though. However, you should be able to find the IDQ for less than the Shiva.

13. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Hmmm... ok I read up on this sub and it sounds exactly what I am looking for. I dont want to rumble the block just have excelent sound. Hmmm.. the price on the 12" is 369.00 bucks does anyone know where I can find it cheaper? Ummm... ohh and what size amp are you using? 2channel or 4channel. Are you using two amps. Could someone tell me what ohm's are, and what an ohm voice coil is. Ohhh and an explanation of liniar excursion would be appreciated also. Thanks:bigthumb:

14. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

$369 is going to be the best price you can get. You can probably go to www.ampmanaudio.com and get it for $379 shipped. Though they are currently on back order due to the dock worker's strike on the West coast. I'm going to be throwing a 2 channel amp from Avionix(1200.2) at it. http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/avionixx.htm That'll take care of the subs. I'm going to be running 2 amps all together, one for my front stage and then and then one for the sub.

As for the ohm and linear excusion, I'm sure some of the more technical guys can explain it better than I can.

15. 04

04 Guest

If you don't need super loud, then the Brahma is overkill. It is also very expensive. Now, if you like to crank it up from time to time, then that is different, but from your post it seems that all you want is a bit more bass, right?

Ohms is the measurement of electrical resistance.

An "ohm voice coil" is specifiying the nominal impedence (which is resistance considering AC signals) of the voice coil.

Linear excursion is the amount of travel the speaker can move back and forth while having the magnetic gap still completely filled with part of the voice coil. DUMAX rates the xmax (linear excursion) as either the point where BL (measurement of motor force) drops to 70.7% of nominal, or where the suspension bottoms out, whichever comes first.

Any more questions? :) Let me know if that is too technical, I tend to ramble on a bit sometimes...

16. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Not just a little more bass. I want a sound system that is tight. Im sure that I could spend 500 bucks and get a system that would rattle the houses as I pass, but I want something that actually sounds good when I turn it up. I WILL turn it up no doubt about that. I think the brahm 12" will do so its at the top of my choices for the time being but I am still looking. The only thing is that it might be TOO MUCH bass.
    About your post. yea its a little too technical. I know a ohm is a measurement of resistance but how does that translate into audio components. Is an ohm voice coil a measurement or instrument of the magnet??? Im really lost here kinda stabbing the dark. I got the linear excursion thing.
    Maybe a little more explanation is needed. Thanks

17. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

What do you mean by too much bass? Too loud? A brahma in a 2.25cube ported box tuned to about 29hz should should very nice while still hitting around 145+. That is very loud, something you really don't want to be listening to for too long unless you want to be deaf in a year or so. I am getting this sub because I want the very nice SQ characteristics it has and then the ability to get loud enough when I want it. Kinda like being able to do it all. :cool:

18. 04

04 Guest

Ok, when you say you want a sound system that is tight, are you talking about "tight bass" or "tight" as in its off the heezy yo?

Ok, so you do infact want to turn it up, but also sound good? Then yes the Brahama would be a good choice. Also, how much cabin space do you have for your subwoofer box?

Ohm is VERY important in audio reproduction. This translates because the voice coil of the speaker is a big long length of wire basically. Imagine you had a piece of pretty thin wire that was hundreds of yards long (I am not sure of the actual length). Then you wrapped this piece of super long wire around a hollow cylinder that is made of kapton, fiberglass, or aluminum, or some other material. Then you put the cylinder inside a structure that is built of steel and strontium ferrite. The strontium ferrite is the magnet, imagine a doughnut shaped magnet with a hole in the middle. You fit the cylinder with wire wrapped around it inside the magnet. Then on the inside of the cylinder you have a piece of steel. I wont go into any more detail, but when you apply electrical power to the wire that is wound around the cylinder, it pushes itself against the magnetic gap which makes the cylinder move back and forth. The cone of the speaker is attached to the cylinder. Moving it back and forth at a specific frequency will make a sound wave of that same frequency.

So what the heck does this have to do with ohms??????????????

I am going to grossly oversimplify the process here, but the wire wound on the cylinder has a resistance. Everything on earth has electrical resistance, even superconductors. It just so happens that the resistance of this wire wound around the cylinder is close to the impedence of your speaker. For example, if your speaker is 8ohms, then your wire's resistance is around the vicinity of 8 ohms. Take the shiva speaker for example. It has TWO voice coils. Which means it has two really long wires wound around the cylinder. Each of these wire's resistance is 8 ohms.

Does that make sense?

19. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Makes Perfect sense. Thanks for clearing all that up. When I mean tight I mean controlled crisp sound not yo to my peeps tight. Also to answer Gavins question. I read that this sub produces so much bass at 29hz that it will cause your stomach to get upset and your head to hurt. That probobly has alot to do with the volume level though. I, like you, want to turn the volume up and kick it while keeping a good sound quality. Now I need to decide If I want too amps or one amp.
    The focals take between 75 and 150 watts a piece. I have no Idea how much I should run too them. The sub takes 600watts.
    Before I go any further and yall start talking about 2 channel and 4 channel amps let me say first that I have no idea what 2 channel does that 4 channel doesnt and a bridge for all I know links to bodies of land over a body of water so please be nice and explain your theories and or suggestions. Thanks. BTW Thanks Everyone. :bigthumb:

Edit: Sorry, Missed Gavins post. That confuses me that you are using two amps. Looking at amps it seems like I could run one amp for both the sub and the focals without a problem, and in doing so would save a little money and a lot of time wiring it up.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2002
  20. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Well you can use one amp to do all that, but right now I'm choosing to go with two since there isn't one amp out that can produce the numbers I'm going with. My old setup was a Soundstream 405s Reference amp(5/3 channel amp) and it powered all four interior speakers and two 10" subs. It did it very nice job too. I was very happy with that amp, but it only put out about 50w to the speakers and 240w split to both subs. As you can tell everything was pretty underpowered even though the amp was said to be under rated.

So my new setup, I'm trying to power everything nicely by throwing about 180w to the Focals and then 1200w to the Brahma. Basically I want to be able to let the everything sound the way it should without the amps clipping. With more than one amp, it's not really all that much extra wiring so it's not really a hassle for me. I already have all that stuff anyway.

21. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Wow, that sub takes 600w throwing 1200w at it is crazy!!!! Im looking at 2 amps. A 600w amp for the sub and a temp. 200w for the focals.

22. 04

04 Guest

That would probably be a good setup. You *might* want to give the brahma a bit more power though, I am not sure if it can reach xmax in a moderate sized sealed enclosure with only 600w.

200w should be plenty of power for the focals. Just be sure to enable the high pass circuit on your amplifier for them.

23. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Actually the Brahma takes 1600w RMS. It can handle burps up to 5000w, so I think giving it 1200 should be fine.

24. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

crap that seruiously puts a kink in my game plan. ARgggg

25. 04

04 Guest

Quoting Adire: "Pmax is the maximum continuous electrical power; mechanical power handling is COMPLETELY dependent upon the application, and can be considerably lower than the electrical power handling. Pmax is NOT a "required" level of power for a driver. We rate per IEC 268-5."

So if he used an extremely large sealed enclosure, he should have no problems getting the driver to excursion with 600w. He might have to build a pretty big box though...