SRS I just don't get it v. problem with parents

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ImpalaSS, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS OT Supporter

I haven't talked to my father in about a year - haven't said one word to him other than a few arguments and fights that he has provoked. I was wrong for feeding into it but being a typical stubborn person, I had no choice but to do so. Anyway, the fights were bad and one was actually physical and were started with him saying something stupid to me. I tried to ignore it everytime but he would say things that he knew would bother me.

About two years ago when I was still at home, I woke up and heard someone laughing or crying. I didn't know what it was until I got out of my room and went into the bathroom. He was there crying, cutting his wrist...something that burns me to this day. He claims I saved his life but all I did was tak the x-acto knife from him and packaged him up and made sure he was ok. We sat and talked for a few hours until my mother got home and we took him to the hospital. Things were fine until a few months after.

I haven't said a word to him in a while...(again other than the fights). I am an only child, 22 and have a good paying business where I make enough to support myself. Doesn't any of this bother him? He seems like he doesn't care that he "lost" his only son. I refuse to talk to him and only talk to my mom. My mom and I were tight until he came back in the picture, and everytime he and I argue, she sides with him... If I see him in the street I don't look at him. I know he doesn't like me, and like and love are two different things, but it seems like he doesn't love me either.

It bothers me to a point but I tried reconciling with him a number of times and we just can't get along. It doesn't seem like it bothers him. I was always the type to get made fun of and picked on, always passive and weak until a year or two back. What strengthened me was seeing him trying to commit suicide - it motivated me to go to the gym and work out and better myself. I know he is miserable and unhappy, but it seems like he doesn't care.

Does anyone else have this problem? Sorry for the long post.

2. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS OT Supporter

Do you mean him being disappointed or embarassed at me or me feeling that way towards him? Thanks :)

3. Daria

Daria New Member

I'm going through the same thing right now. I'm not speaking to my mother. Our relationship was pretty shitty when I was a kid, so I figured it would change now that I"m an adult, but she pulled the same shitty things she always did and on my birthday this year, no less. I haven't talked to her since.

I think my grandmother found out, because she called me last night and somewhere in the conversation, she told me that was I was 5 or 6 years old, my mom tried to kill herself and my grandmother had to stop her. I just found this out last night, and I haven't been speaking to my mother in two months.

This is the first time I've ever not spoken to my mother for longer than a day. She hasn't called me. I live with my sister and she'll come by to pick up my sister, but she won't even come in the house. Even when we were on good terms, she wouldn't come in my house. She always said she was in some sort of rush. She'll sit in the car for 1/2 an hour even if my sister takes a long time to get ready.

So I guess I kind of know what you're going through, as I'm going through something similar.