SRS I just completely changed my life

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Deepsouthwrx, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Deepsouthwrx

Deepsouthwrx If in doubt, flat out!

Ive been in school since I graduated high school in 03, I've never had a break at all. Spent one year at a major university when I was 19 and completely wasted the opportunity by partying and not going to class. Spent another year getting the prereqs for nursing school which I never really wanted to go to but I did it anyways because it made my parents happy. Went through 1/2 of the program and the other day I finally decided to quit wasting my time and my parents money. Basically I've gone from living comfortably and rent free to being completely on my own so that I can pursue my real passion.

I won't go into what it is that I'm interested because Id rather not defend myself from OT (its nothing gay like hairstyling or anything) but even though I'm completely on my own now I feel happier and more liberated than I ever have in my life.

Has anyone else gone through something like this? Am I insane for giving up a free ride to college even though it wasn't what I wanted to do?

2. 7960

7960 New Member

Ok, so you have had a break.

That was a mistake I made. I wanted to be a teacher and my dad said "If you're going to study all that math anyway why not go into engineering?" I did and hated it and (short story) quit. Do not try to do something you don't really want to do; it's a recipe for failure.

What is it?

Wait until you start getting bills. That "happier and more liberated feeling" subsides pretty quick when you work your ass off and the govt takes 1/3 in taxes and 1/2 of what's left goes to rent/car.

I went through exactly this. I did 3 semesters of EE and got As in math/physics and failed just about everything else. I left, worked construction for a while, and finally told my parents I was going back. While I hated engineering it also turned out they also had to have time to adjust to the idea that I hated engineering. So when I told them I was ready to go back they helped a lot.

And yes, you're stupid for giving up a free ride. You need to tell your parents you need some time to figure out what's up but that you WILL go back. They'll be mad for a while but hopefully they understand.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I completely agree on that you have to pursue that what makes you happy. What i want to say tho is that what i've seen from other people who live Radical lifestyles is that although the socializing is good ,the only partying using drugs,alcohol lifestyles is that it destroys their oppertunities in life.

You aren't insane to throw away your free ride to college but I feel you need to pursue what makes you happy, grab your chances and stick with the working hard attitude like you had before in school in order to keep on growing personally and preventing your life coming at a standstill.

Enjoy, but drink,party with measure, and focus on a career that brings both happyness and a good pay check.

4. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

I agree with this. At my school, people tend to only party on Fri/Sat and they still work on Sat. Yet my one friend at an Ivy-League school was drunk for a 10am class on a Wed. He seems to be partying all the time, nearly every day. Maybe he'll grow out of it, but he's ruining this great opportunity in his life.

5. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

i'm kinda in a similar situation
    came to canada in grade 10 with family, worked like 30-40 hours a week every week while in high school... like 80 hours during summer... did good in school.. got into a prestigious university and a prestigious program... partied all the time and fucked up, got kicked out, petitioned, allowed back in, came back to repeat the second term, for some reason i was depressed... and got kicked out completely with no way of goin back... all the university's said i couldn't get in anywhere, and that i would have to take a year, i still applied and wrote letters to them, somehow got accepted to a decent university and a good program... the last 2 years have been so depressing ( i had never even used the word "depressed" in high school, let alone being depressed) i'm just tryin to fix my life right now...

6. mandrew

mandrew New Member

If you really don't think you'll regret it later on in life, why not?

Free ride to college is a bad thing to waste, but it's your life. Even if this is a mistake, you'll learn from it.

7. arfanrauf

arfanrauf New Member

we are strangers...tell us what it is...