MIL I is going to the marines recruitment office tomorrow at 10am

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wufei, Dec 19, 2007.

1. wufei

wufei New Member

i made a thread a long time ago about wanting to do my part without getting blown up. well the marine's office called again, and want to talk about some journalism / magazine thing they have (pursuing a journalism degree). i'm also going to inquire about stateside jobs or a program that will let me work while still being in school. i'm headed to their office tomorrow at 10am.

I'm 19, at community college, in my second year of schooling. on a 5 year college plan to transfer to a university of california by the 4th year. asian, 5"11. 155 lbs. and have decently bad eczema on neck / arms. (heard this could be a problem)

halpz? what should i expect.

IB u r a pussy riflemen first :blahblahblah: go join the navy you homo etc

2. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Make sure you speak Engrish with the recruiter or he just may punch you in the mouth.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

You want my title but you don't want to do things required of real Marines? Fuck that shit.

The only job offered for what you want to do is combat correspondent. My buddy is one. He just got back from his 3rd tour. You will almost definitely be attached to a deploying unit right when you graduate your school. No two ways about it. If you think you're going to be stateside working 9-5 and earning your college degree, you're in for a very rude awakening. If your recruiter says otherwise, then he's a lying sack of shit.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

But don't you already want to get out, and you've only completed 25% of your enlistment?

5. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

:werd: stfu

6. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

Haha that guy is a fucking internet queen.. I hope he visits 29 Palms one day so I can have a few power-hungry Lance Corporals i know fuck him up and make him eat his own shit

7. Accord

Accord New Member

No. Because when you're miserable together, it's a beautiful thing ;)

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

:rofl:

:o
    True.

9. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Shut up about your "title". You have done nothing special. The only thing you have done is bitch and whine about how bad the Corps sucks. If you have earned any title it would be dirtbag.

10. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

This guy will be one of the first ones to either commit suicide at boot or try to escape :rofl:

11. ElCidKid

ElCidKid New Member

ask about Platoon Leaders Class.

12. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

So what have you done in the USMC? Just bootcamp right?

13. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

lol @ accord backfire

14. deh310

deh310 and what have i become...

what makes you think you are so special as to deserve not getting blown up? fuck you

15. EYOB

EYOB Guest

ur a pussy riflemen first :blahblahblah: go join the navy you homo etc

16. EYOB

EYOB Guest

Sarcasm > You

17. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

some thoughts:

1. you could potentially sign up for a job that doesn't require combat at all. i went to boot with a guy that picked out a MOS whose title was "art/animation artist" and they work on photography or journalism or publication.

but the chances of this is so slim. especially since you want to keep going to school, so that means you'll have to be a reservist. being a marine reservist means you're locked in on a job that's available at your closest reserve station. since you're in the bay area there's only 2 marine reserve stations here, one in lathrop which does infantry and combat engineering and one in downtown san jose which does landing support and heavy equipment. so you're left with either being a grunt, a combat engineer, or drive big trucks.

2. if you do decide to become a marine, there's a few steps before you see combat. you or your unit has to be first activated. if activated you then need to be deployed. when deployed you might either be within the US or outside the US. if you're outside the US you might be going to iraq, afghanistan, djibouti, europe, or asia. if you do go to iraq you might be stationed inside a FOB. if you do stay inside a FOB you might get a cushy job and never leave the wire. so honestly, i, nor anyone, can honestly tell you what are the chances of you dying.

3. 5 years to transfer out of a JC and into a UC is pretty long, i did 2 years of jc while in high school and went to berkeley for my degree, what i fucked up on was leaving for the military in between, juggling my job, school, and the corps was a bitch. why don't you just finish that up before considering going into the military.

4. also, when you do decide to join, don't pick a job that relates to your field. that's the dumbest shit ever. pick a job that's the most opposite, the most interesting, and the most unlikely to be done by a civilian. learn to blow up shit. learn to work with a 7 ton truck. learn to parachute. learn to destroy a target that's 1 mile away with a single bullet. when and where else will you get an opportunity to do that?

your job in the corps will have no practical use outside of it. no one gives two shits about some kid that worked for a marine paper. no one. the only reason people will give a shit about is that you're a marine. but even then, because of your attitude you simply want to ride on the coat tails of people braver and less selfish than you. 232 years have went to create the title marine. people see that and they respect that.

5. your back eczema shouldn't be a big issue. as long as you have medicine for it and can control it you'll be fine. although when they do hygiene inspections your DI will scream and make fun of you quite often.

18. dura

dura Guest

This, in particular, is the complete fucking truth.

19. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

based on what you seem to have laid out as your goals and apprehensions, i would re-evaulate joining the marine corps in any capacity.

it sounds like getting a degree is a priority, so i would see if there's a way to stay in school and either 1) not join the military yet or 2) look at ROTC programs, which might help you pay for school and give you a chance to get an idea of whether you're suited for military life

20. jenzos

jenzos Marine Corps, brb.

21. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

k douche

22. wufei

wufei New Member

as expected lots of hate. clarification on a few things, the 5 years is the total amount of time to get the bachelors.

i talked to the recruiter, he showed me the journalism correspondent MOS. i told him of my plans and goals and he recomended i go into the reserves, do my training in the summer and graduate with a degree then going in as a 2nd lt. and as for deployment, i dont mind as long as i finish schooling first.

and as for lying sack of shit recruiters. there was none of that. they were all articulate, intelligent, (then again i see no benefit to the marines putting idiots as recruiters) and no one tried to get me to sign an 0311 HOORAH enlistment or anything.

i went and took a practice asvab as well. 83. how is that?

23. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

why did you ever talk to the marines if thats your main concern

24. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I'd join ROTC before I'd go into the Reserves.

25. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

none of what he told you will happen.