WEB I invite you all to track development of my ebook campaign...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by symptic, Nov 17, 2007.

1. symptic

symptic I run companies

...over at my blog. I'll try to post updates on OT every so often as well. I have considerable experience in other fields, but this is my first go at marketing something like an ebook. Many of the advertising concepts are new grounds for me.

I'm doing this for several reasons. Profit of course being one, but mainly to help me be more open in terms of some of the options available when advertising a product or service; breaking away from being focused on purely traditional methods (although I am more renowned for my 'guerilla' marketing).

My blog is [here]
    My ebook is [here]

PS: Feel free to ask questions either in this thread or on my blog. I'll gladly discuss them on either.

PSPS: If anyone has a relevant blog, I'm looking for some reviews of my book.

2. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon \xC0\xFF\xEE

How large is your book? Is it possible to give a first chapter or first few pages? Skimming the demo, it looks like a lot of the same information I saw on the front page, which was just a read as a bunch of marketing speech to me which is a turn off to me.

3. symptic

symptic I run companies

I need to work on the content of the landing page. What particularly don't you like about it?

4. TheDarkHorizon

Maybe it's just me, but I always glaze over marketing speech. It makes me feel like I'm reading spam, though the design of your site doesn't give me that vibe. I suppose it's fine, but I was expecting to read content in your demo.

5. symptic

symptic I run companies

Most of the content of the ebook is introductory stuff explaining the ideas behind friend-adding. The real value is the list I compiled of all the services available. If you're a novice the explanation stuff will help, but the list will help everyone no matter how experienced.

Do you think I should emphasize the value of this list more?

6. TheDarkHorizon

I guess I just don't know enough about marketing for MySpace. What is it these services do? Are they free? What makes them hard to find?

7. symptic

symptic I run companies

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You should probably make your demo PDF downloads instead of RAR. Most MySpace users wouldn't know what to do with a RAR.

10. symptic

symptic I run companies

Most browsers open PDF's in the browser. I'm more concerned with the idiots who wouldn't know to save it than the ones who have to find what a rar is. Maybe I should use zips?

11. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Active Member

Ok. I'm somewhat confused.
    Is there any general purpose to building your friends list to obscene numbers?
    or is it just a slick way to help, and make some $ from, those who feel they need a bloated friend list to be e-cool?

12. carlo2343

carlo2343 New Member

get 10000000's of friends, and market your shit to them. That's the point.

13. symptic

symptic I run companies

There are those who simply want to inflate their numbers. But the more likely candidate to want this information are the marketers. Myspace marketing, while on a tight lockdown due to spam, is still very effective so long as you know what you're doing.

14. symptic

symptic I run companies

Got a Myspace profile up. Now to generate some friends and traffic to it. Shame the profile's effectiveness will be relatively harder to track. Here's for the best. :beer:

15. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

Not only what they said, but you can also sell your myspace account, if you have a lot of friends & someone interested. I've heard of quite a few people doing this. :o

(& not for pocket change, either).

16. symptic

symptic I run companies

That is very profitable, and very illegal (or at least against Myspace's ToS; a harsh penalty will ensue if caught). Some profiles have sold for over $10,000. And let's not discount selling bulletin posts on profile you own with large friend counts.

While profitable, Myspace has been going after these services in full force. If you have a few profiles with 60k friends, you can count on them lasting for no more than a month before you have to rebuild new ones. It's very tedious work.

17. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

Aye, a friend of a friend got caught selling a myspace account. :o

I keep my account around 4500-5000, so I can keep it. The profile itself is a PR 3, and I can always message people who aren't on my friend's list. & Since it's my personal account as well, I don't get reported for spam. :wiggle:

18. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

You should look into setting up an affiliate system if you really want to push it. Like where you give anyone that refers a buyer $5 of the sale. Of course you end up with much less but you can really build out your list that way with the help of other marketers selling your product for you.

19. symptic

symptic I run companies

Exactly what I'm planning on doing. I need to recruit some help to develop an affiliate system though, so it will come after I re-release FriendFury in the next week. I'm not in a hurry to promote this book. It's been a fun project for me thus far and I've been absorbing so much information and probably have a much better scope of the ins and outs of CPC marketing, even though my efforts thus far are seemingly for naught.

20. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

I'd be interested in something like that as well donthate. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few scripts out there for the task but I haven't really looked yet.

21. symptic

symptic I run companies

Maybe we can pool together for the system. :dunno: