I hear if you use a hub behind your router transfers are quicker.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mycophiles, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Ive come by a hub for free and thought i'd try it out. Using dd-wrt are there any settings I need to change?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

never heard of a speed up. hubs are inherently slower than a switch/router. in fact i am pretty sure throughput will slow down if you are transfering files to another machine on the network at the same time.

where or who told you that a hub will speed up transfers?

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Who ever told you that is a dumbass or you misunderstood

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Don't remember where I read about this. Probably here as I don't do much reading on comp. tech stuff unless I need to research it. I probably misunderstood. The point of the post was that the hub doesn't need to keep assigning IP addresses every time information is copied from one computer to another. I probably grossly misunderstood and now am looking like a compete dumb ass so I'll let it go.

anyone need a hub? :)

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

a hub is a bad idea, the entire thing is a giant collision domain. a switch at least separates collision domains for each port. a switch would likely be faster than a router, depending on the traffic and the type of switch.

i have a netgear router that has one port that goes to a netgear gigabit switch. my traffic speed has increased substantially because of the addition of the gigabit switch. my netgear router does only does 10/100. i keep slower devices on the routers ports and gigabit devices on the gigabit switches ports.
    a managed switch or layer 3 switch will be super quick also

6. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

The arguement seems to be that a hub operates at a lower level of the ISO model so it will be faster. I guess theoretically this could *possibly* be true under certain circumstances, but if you have more than two devices connected it would slow everything down. A hub is basically the same as a network cable, but it connects more than two things at a time.

Can you even buy hubs anymore?

7. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8330/4.3.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

This is kind of off topic, but not.

Let's say I have a gigabit switch. Will I notice any differences if I add gigabit NICs to systems that aren't running them currently?

8. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

yes.

9. Vito_Corleone

Vito_Corleone New Member

Depends on what you're doing with the hosts. You may not notice a difference, but the hosts you upgrade should be connecting at 10x the old speed.

10. EvanD

EvanD Active Member

Use the switchports on your router. Do not use a hub as in your case it just adds an extra hop and as most have said, hubs are inherently slower. Rather than traffic being transmitted out a single port, a hub will flood all traffic out every port which makes them far less efficient than a switch.

If you do require additional ports, then pick up a switch.