I have Vista, how do I install XP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ukraine Train, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

When I put my XP disk in the install option is greyed out. Do I have to wipe the hard drive clean first?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

always

3. HYBR|D

HYBR|D Beep Beeeeee'p

put a big magnet onto the hard drive let it sit for 24 hours, then all your problems will be solved.

and xp will be automagically installed. It's a new feature in built into Vista. :rofl:

4. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

dumbass

are you trying to get rid of vista and install XP or trying to dualboot dista and XP???

if so, google "Vista and Xp dual boot"

5. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

No I just want to get rid of Vista. I did some looking and it sounds like I first have to download some drivers for XP. What's the best way to erase my hard drive?

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Boot off the XP CD and it will wipe the drive for you.

7. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

maybe he doesnt understand this...

put the CD in the drive, restart your PC and when your system asks you to boot of the CD "Press any key to boot from the CD" press a key and format from within the windows installation.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yep, just make sure the machine is set to boot off of the CD.

9. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

and to make sure of this you would need to access the BIOS while your computer is starting up and it would be under a tab called BOOT or BOOT Sequence or something like that...

ohh well, thats all you should need. if you need help after this just ask :rl:

10. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Why not just embrace the future and use Vista? Its really not that terrible.

11. JasonKnight

JasonKnight OT Supporter

You know this, I know this. Most of the population of the USA doesnt even know how to use a computer but yet almost everyone has one.

12. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

I'm going to give Vista a shot. I'm having trouble finding XP drivers for my hard drive. The biggest reason for downgrading is Vista thinks the license for the CAD software I use at work is a virus and tries to kill it. Going to try to install tomorrow anyway. Worst case, I run the virus off my XP desktop and access it over the network.

13. nLinked

nLinked New Member

It seems that Windows Defender in Vista is stopping parts or all of your CAD software from installing. Unless you have installed some other antivirus or anti-spyware program, it's probably just Windows Defender.

You can find the Windows Defender icon in the system tray in Vista. It's next to the clock on the bottom-right of the screen. It looks like a grey castle with a green tick on it. Right-click on it and exit it. Then install your CAD software.

Hopefully now, Windows Defender won't kick in to stop your installation.

It this doesn't work, try and get us an error message or something. Don't let the failed installation of one program stop you from working with Vista :)

14. blink 17

blink 17 New Member

damn, i had this problem like a week ago. picked up vista at school book store for $10, hated it, and now am back on xp.

15. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Well what was so horrible about it? I see people go Oh i hated it and I'm going back to XP, ive been developing on vista for about 3 months now and absolutely love it, even just normal PCing on vista is > *

16. nLinked

nLinked New Member

Some people might think they don't have the time or just aren't bothered to use something new, and when they use it, use it with a negative mind. It puts them off and they go back to what they were using. Happens with every release of everything.

I'm an optimist. I tend to stick with the new technologies, learn them and give time to solve any problems. They will be the technologies to support upcoming standards anyway.

No-way would I go back to XP either. Not had a single problem on Vista, and consider myself a heavy user.

In terms of compatibility - which seems to be the problem in above posts - the compatibility tool in Vista is way better than XP's in resolving problems with older software, even though it might look the same. But always look for patches or newer compatible software if you can. I wouldn't let a program stop me from using the new OS. If I had to use that program no-matter what, I'd run Virtual PC 2007 and install XP on that, while running Vista in the background - although you might need a stronger PC. Either that or dual-boot!