I have two cd drives, three hard drives, and a couple questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zephy|2, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Zephy|2

Zephy|2 I fly

Alright, I know that I have more drives than IDE slots, so I'll need an IDE PCI card, but I don't know where to start with brands and such. I've heard Promise mentioned more than anything, are those good quality? Also, what kind of setup would be the best? Primary drive on IDE1, both cd drives on IDE2, and the other two hard drives on the PCI card? Or Two hard drives on IDE1 and one drive on the PCI? Also, a friend said that PCI slots have a total maximum bandwidth of 133 MB/sec... that's 133MB divided between ALL the PCI devices. Is that true? It doesn't seem like it would be.

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Is there any particular reason you need to have two cd drives?
    i would just say ditch one to cause less problems for yourself.
    and yes PCI has 133 total for all the devices like your friend said.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

NEVER EVER EVER EVER install a cdrom and a hard drive on the same daisy chain. So Zourn's comment is the worst I have seen today.

Yes, the PCI bus has a 33MHz bus, which gives you roughly 133MB/s of throughput for ALL devices. Now, remember that most mobos have losts of other devices already sharing the PCI bus (such as the onboard audio)!

Promise cards suck! They are popular, but I have nothing but problems with their products. I had a "nice" (as in it costs a lot) TX2000+ that was total crap. A cheap silicon images controller was much better. At work we use the SX4-m, and they're crap too... I'd much rather use a HighPoint or Adaptec.

Your best bet is:
    Mobo IDE0 : Primary HDD (OS) & Secondary HDD (Data)
    Mobo IDE1 : CD-ROM 1 & CD-ROM 2
    PCI IDE 0 : tercerary HDD (Data)

4. Zephy|2

Zephy|2 I fly

That sucks that the data rate is split.. I have a usb card (which I could probably take out... I have 6 integrated ports), a tv tuner, two nics, and a sound card. Oh well, it'll still hold data, it just won't transfer quite as fast. I'll look at the HighPoint and Adaptec cards.

Zourn, they aren't actually both cd drives, I just said that for simplicity. One is a dvd burner and one is a cd burner, both of which I want to keep.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:wtf: I always do mine with one hard drive and one CD/DVD on each channel. That way I can burn CD-to-CD on the fly.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

what's more important to you? better hdd performance, or better cd-rom performance? If you're like 99% of the rest of us, you want your HDD to be faster.

Not to mention that I have never had a problem burning on the fly at 52X with both on the same channels. it's only like 7,800KB/s for 52x... so x2 is less than 16MB/s... well within ata66 spec.

7. Penguin Man

How does having a CD-ROM on the same channel as my HD slow the HD down? I'm not doubting that it does, just wondering why :dunno:

I could never burn on the fly properly with both on the same channel, I was told it was because part of the burning proccess requires a dedicated channel or something. Whatever the technical reason was, it worked fine with them on separate channels.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i have two 52x cd-rws that I constantly burn on the fly with. I've built several thousand computers (average 10-20 a day, 5 days a week) and a majority of those feature dual cd-roms that all burn on the fly.

IDE devices operate in parallel -- not in serial. so all devices on a given channel must be sync'd together. UDMA 5, UDMA 6, PIO, etc. A cd-rom will negotiate to 33MB/s. Depending on the drive (newer WD's use UDMA5, newer maxtor's use UDMA6) it will want either 100MB/s or 133MB/s. If you daisy-chain a cd and a hdd, you signifigantly reduce performance.

Look at a high-performance system (not something you or a friend built) and you'll never see a HDD sharing a channel with a CD-ROM.

9. Penguin Man

Sounds good :dunno: I don't really notice any drawbacks with having mine setup like it is. Next time I build a machine I can almost guarantee that it will not have IDE anything anyway. It's a fucking stupid technology IMO, I've had nothing but problems with it. I will never understand how it ever became more popular than SCSI which is great but unfortunately seems to be dying off.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

SCSI is great, but costly... that's why the x86 arch and ide became so popular -- cost.

SATA seems to be the answer, however.

11. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

thats retarded, how is it that i lose performance, but get faster transfer speeds from hda1 to hdb1 than from hda1 to hda2?