i have too many cables

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Dec 2, 2007.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So, this is the inside of my Antec 900 case with 6 SATA hard drives, 2 optical drives (1 SATA, 1 IDE), 1 PCI-Ex16 video card, 1 PCI wireless card, and 1 PCI-Ex8 RAID controller with 2 breakout cables to support 8 drives (kind of long cables but can't complain since they were free)

[​IMG]

2. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

Nice cable management :rofl:

3. lolerskates

lolerskates New Member

damn, now when i look over at mine it looks so much cleaner:mamoru:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Mine's better.

[​IMG]

Note the RAID hot-swap enclosure in the middle bays. You should get two of these; it'll keep your shit a lot cleaner and cooler.

Also note the bundled SATA cables and the round IDE cable. They also help a lot.

5. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

The round IDE cable's a good choice to improve airflow. As you suggested he could also use zip ties or velcro straps to reduce clutter. It doesn't look like there's a good place to hide cables though. If he had a larger case he might be able to hide some of those cables behind the motherboard tray or in unused space.

Probably the best option would be to measure and determine appropriate cable length, then go to some site like monoprice.com and order some shorter SATA cables. Monoprice doesn't have much of a selection for round IDE cables anymore so google would probably be good for finding a deal on those cables.

6. etech

etech New Member

7. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

looks like my server, except mines worse because all the cords are those wide ide cables

8. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

9. deusexaethera

Okay, so he moved all the clutter to the other side of the motherboard tray, and all the cables are mashed together so there's crazy EMF interference, and it's impossible to actually move something from one bay to the next without taking the whole computer apart.

Other than being for-show-only, it's perfect.

10. deusexaethera

Round IDE cables improve airflow, yes, but more importantly to me, they can be twisted in whatever direction you want without any drama.

As noted above, I'm not terribly impressed with the hidden-cable concept, because it's bad enough moving shit around inside a small metal box without having to weave cables through small, never-conveniently-positioned holes too. If you know exactly what you want in a machine and exactly where to put it, and you're willing to wait a week to get your cables so you can actually use the thing, then yeah, custom-made cables are a great idea. Not too practical in real life though.

11. lowfat

I am a little extreme when it comes to cable management, but what I do is unsolder every cable I do not need from my power supply :), and adjust the length of the wires to fit better.

Here a are a few of the last systems I did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. deusexaethera

Lowfat, you should really try a Corsair power supply. Their modular cables actually work, and they're actually flexible too. The only thing you'd have to unsolder is the P4/video power cables, if you don't need them.

13. lowfat

If I were to buy another PSU I'd buy a modular Enermax or a Corsair unit, but I've had this OCZ 700W unit for over a year and it is still going strong.

14. dissonance

Damn, I didn't even think about running them behind the mobo tray.. the cables weren't much a probelm until I put the breakout SAS/SATA cables in... I only use both of them but only use 5 of the 8 ends and the damn things are at least 3 ft long

15. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

I wish Corsair made a 750w modular unit :sad2:

16. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  17. dissonance

This is what I was referring too... only mine is a bit longer (based on pic)
    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=1218&sku=10253

[​IMG]

Each one has 4 ends... i have 5 drives that are in the RAID. And the one I have is little thicker than this one (I have another one just like this but its for a 29-pin SAS)

Also, I'm glad that the drive bays don't line up with the bottom PCI-Ex16 slot.. one of the breakout connectors is at the end of the RAID card and there is a ~1/2" gap between it and between the back of two drives.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I haven't had a desktop in a long time, but when I did I prided myself on it being in utter disarray with 15 cables, and half a dozen fans and caked in dust. Always ran for years that way, too.

One thing though... my brother makes video games, and I never get to play them. I don't really like that. I need a desktop rig I can play games on one of these days. Maybe I'll find myself in enough loot to get a Mac Pro and boot ze XP on it.

Then again, like $600 would get me a minimal gaming rig that could play today's titles, right?

19. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I just finished a build for my kid, and it wound up neat like that(well, almost). I got one of the Alienware cases off of Woot, and it was an excellent case to work with.

My Antec NSK-6500 on the other hand, looks more like threadstarter's.

:mamoru:

20. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Keep everything to a minimum except the video card, especially if you already have the os.

21. dorkultra

my server is somewhat of a mess
    [​IMG]

22. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

:rofl: my cables are in such a mess but my case isn't see through and runs cool enough so I don't care.

23. deusexaethera

Actually dorkultra, you're doing pretty good. You just need to get some round IDE cables to get rid of the kinky shit going on with those flat cables.

24. m0nk3y

m0nk3y Not now, chief.

How THIS is what your cables SHOULD look like! [/sarcasm]

[​IMG]

25. dorkultra

wasn't really trying
    going to switch out the mobo soon, amd athlon 1.2ghz to an amd athlon 64 3000+. i'll pick up some round cables from monoprice or firefold
    + i will have a couple of sata drives in there instead of pata
    i have about 5 fans in the case, so i have no cooling problems with the flat pata cables. when i put my hand on top of the hard drives, they are around room temp, even if doing lots of transfers :bigthumb:

next time i build a pc, i'm totally going to hide the cables behind the mobo, i finally figured out what those holes are there for. i thought it was for ventilation