I have to reset my cmos everytime I lose AC power

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mace, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mace

mace i don't read

Does anyone know what's wrong? It's been like this ever since I got my motherboard. It's a MSI Neo2 Platinum w/ a Athlon 64 3200+.

It's quite annoying. Everytime I lose AC power, like if I need to change something in my pc, I have to reset the cmos in order to get it to boot. Otherwise it will start up, but not boot, when I first turn the power on and then it will never start again unless I clear the cmos.

2. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

never heard of something like this, but I would suggest updating the BIOS and/or getting a new cmos battery

3. mace

mace i don't read

I did update the bios, but it didn't fix the problem. I was thinking about the cmos battery, but I dunno if that would fix it. wouldn't hurt I suppose.

4. Shibboleth

Shibboleth teh mad Plato skillz

my thinking is that the battery is the only thing keeping the settings alive when ac power is lost. If your settings somehow get corrupted w/o the ac power then it just has to be the battery, even though it sounds like the MB is new and without cmos power the cmos should default to basic settings. It seems far less likely that there is a problem with the cmos itself. So best of luck to you.

5. mace

mace i don't read

So settings can be corrupted if it's a bad battery? then that must be the problem because it seems like the settings are getting corrupted after ac power loss for some reason.

6. mace

mace i don't read

I replaced the battery, but the problem still persists. :(

7. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

RMA the bitch

8. mace

mace i don't read

it's annoying, but not that annoying. It's not worth my time to wait and pay shipping.

9. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I'd consider that beyond annoying.. considering my machine is a LAN party machine and I disconnect power quit often. If you haven't replaced the power supply, this might be something to consider.

I was having issues with the clock losing time, and a few other annoyances. I replaced the CMOS battery (twice, thinking the first one might be bad as well), but the problem continued. I borrowed a test kit from a buddy and found that one of the channels of the power supply had failed. Once I replaced the PSU, all the problems were solved. I've had good luck with Antec power supplies, but I've seen people here recommend other brands. Search for power supply and you can probably find those threads.

10. mace

mace i don't read

I haven't tried a different power supply, I've considered it, but I've never used a diferent one. That may be the problem, but I dunno.

It's not beyond annoying to me because I have my machine hooked up to a backup power supply and it only happens when there is no AC Power for about 1-2 minutes. I suppose that's how long it takes for all the capacitors to completly lose power. So considering all that it's just a minor annoyance.