I have the E 815

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Valence, Aug 13, 2005.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

good sites for newbs in regards to mods? I think it's GPS capable, though exactly what that does for you, I have no idea. It would be cool to have a GPS app that would act like a GPS unit, maps stuff like that
    I'd also like to transfer files from phone to pc (pics mainly) though I know Verizon disabled this.

2. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

If it's anything like the V710, you can just buy a transflash memory card (128mb max right now, 256mb coming soon I believe) and put all your pics on that and use a card reader to transfer files to/from the card to your computer. If you get a USB data cable, you *may* be able to do the same thing. I KNOW that they are not allowing the bluetooth file transfer though, so forget that. Major cripple.

motomodders.com is a good place to start. The phone is like an enhanced v710.

3. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

Oh, and the GPS is nothing like you think, I believe it is so you can be located in an emergency from the paramedics and whatnot. I knwo the v710 had the same feature, and we definitely would have heard something about GPS if it was fully functional. My treo 650 doesn't even have GPS without a bunch of extra equipment added. Don't get your hopes up about that.

4. xivera

xivera Active Member

5. xivera

xivera Active Member

I forgot to mention that I have an E815, too. I like it, very easy to mod, kinda big though. 512MB microSD/Transflash is to be released this month (1GB at the end of the year/Q1 2006); you should pick that up not the smaller ones. (I have a 256MB card for now. Not enough if you want to watch movies/clips) You have 2 choices to connect to your pc (post-mods): BT thru dongle (has minor issues) or card reader (easiest).

Tethering w/ EV-DO is prohibited unless you have an actual data plan.

6. ueberjeff

ueberjeff Save the seals...club a liberal.

Location based GPS applications will be available later this year as a Get It Now download. I second the advise on howardforums.com. There is all kinds of information available there. Look for the Motorola phones subforum under Verizon Wireless for lots of info on the E815. The main Moto forum doesn't have as much.

7. Enkidu

Enkidu New Member

So is this phone better than most? I am looking at switching from my Treo to something else on Verizon...I am still a little bitter about buying the v710 the day it came out, actually a week before Verizon released it, and it being crippled to hell. :mad:

8. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

From what I've read so far, it is crippled as hell. You gotta pay over a hundred bucks in equipment, cables, software, and then spend hours reprogramming the phone, turning obex on and shit like that.

9. xivera

xivera Active Member

My E815 + wife's V265 at local VZW store: $50 + change + $50 rebate = free
    SanDisk Mobilemate + 256MB microSD = $67 at local Best Buy (dumb move on my part... I guess)
    Motorola data cable (SKN6311): $13.44 shipped
    software... uhhh, free :big grin:
    research: hours
    reprogramming: 15 min. (max)
    ymmv...

Enkidu, if BT OBEX (phone to PC) is your main concern, Motorola left the backdoor open! :) However, if OPP [phone to phone (& some BT cars)] is what you care for NOW, look elsewhere as it will take some time to enable that. It's there. Just need more time. Unfortunately, the stereo audio profile (A2DP) isn't there.
    Is the E815 better than most? Imho, it's more capable than most in its class... within VZW.