I have problems with incline/flat bench...advice needed

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hootpie, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I do my incline/flat bench strictly with dumbbells. I basically have to have someone spot me on the first rep, otherwise I can't get the weights up. Once I get the weights up, I can do my set just fine.

Flat bench I normally do (these are individual DB weights): 5x60, 5x65, 5x70, 5x80, 5x90, but anything over 65 or 70lbs, I can't get up by myself.

Incline bench I normally do: 5x55, 5x60, 5x65, 5x70, 5x80, but anything over 60 lbs I can't get up by myself.

On flat bench, I set the knees on my weights while I'm sitting down, then as I lay backwards I lift my knees up with the weights on them right into position, then begin the press. On incline, I set the weights on my knees and kick the weights up as high as I can, then press them up.

I don't know how to explain it, but in the lower portion of the lift (with the weights almost touching my chest), I can't push the weights up. It feels like I'm trying to push up 150lb DB's :hs:

Do you guys have problems getting the weight you normally do up and need a spot? If not, do you think it's a problem with my form or are my lats/some other muscle just weak?

2. Chris3G

Chris3G Bullshark Testosterone

i would guess that you're not coming down far enough with the dumbells when you do your reps, and because of this you are weak in the bottom part of the motion.

i'd say it's normal to possibly need a lift on your heaviest set, when doing a weight you may only be able to get for 4-5 reps, but not like what you are describing.

3. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Hmm...that's a good point and it makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. How low should I go with the dumbbells when I press them?

4. Layman

Layman New Member

That initial push is the hardest part for everybody, I think. It is for me, at least.

But yeah, you should only need help on your heavy set, if that. I'd also suggest increasing your ROM. I did, and while it killed my "max," it's making me stronger and keeping me honest.

5. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I just remembered one thing...100% of the time, it's my left arm that needs the assistance. I can usually get the 2nd heaviest weight I lift up with my right arm without any problems. And what's even weirder is that I've been told that my right arm doesn't go as low as my left when I'm pressing.

6. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

where are your feet at during all of this? if you need help feel free to "cheat" with leg drive and have the weight higher to get the shoulders activated... it's probably a form issue

7. hootpie

hootpie New Member

My feet stay on the ground except when I'm kicking the weights up.

8. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

how's your back? don't forget to get those lats involved to stabilize it (lack of stability = weight no go uppie)... make sure you're pulling shoulder blades in, etc

9. hootpie

hootpie New Member

My black is pretty flat, although I think my left scapula raises up off the bench in order to help push the weight up.

I'll keep that other stuff in mind on Monday.

10. RayC

RayC Don't 'cha wish your offense was hot like me???

My left arm sucks too. Sometimes, during bench, the right can keep on pushing but the left just won't go anymore.

11. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

the worst thing about my left/right is on my heavy set my body will lean to the right i guess bc my left has given up??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.