I have part of my computer built..help me with the rest

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wongerbonger, Dec 4, 2003.

1. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

- Asus Motherboard for Intel Pentium 4 Processors Model "P4PE-X"

- Sapphire Atlantis ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128MB 8X AGP DVI/TV LITE BOX

- Intel Pentium 4/ 2.6C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology

- Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI Sound Card

- Crucial 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 x 2

2. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

sweet setup! :)

3. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

haha, thank to some good advice ;)

4. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

can anyone reccommend a good video card to use?

5. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

I have a GeForce TI4200 running out to DVI connections to both of my LCDs...runs games and everything very smooth. :) try www.tomshardware.com and check out the video card benchmarks.

6. diranged

diranged New Member

I can say from experience that the 9600 Pro is an amazing card. In 32bit windows the drivers are so good that it blows away Nvidia 5800's and even Radeon 9700's. Not sure why, but the 9600 does better than almost all cards in DirectX 9 tests.

7. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

what HSF do i need and what type of cooler fans should i use.. etc?

also, am i missing anything i need for my computer?

8. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

also, would the Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800MHz 478pin 512K CPU Retail or the 3.0 work with the same mobo?

9. hard drive, cd-r, dvd-r?

10. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

i already have hard drives and CD-R and DVD-R

11. FindersKeepers

FindersKeepers New Member

I have some useful advice... and i hope very seriously that you take it.

ON THE MEMORY
    Our shop no longer uses Crucial ram, it SUCKS...

We bought 2 512 3200 ddrs, used them for about an hour and a half, then the computer wouldnt start anymore, put them in another computer, same problem..

Sent them back to crucial, they sent us 2 brand new ones. DOA (dead on arrival) sent them back, they sent us new ones.... one was DOA the other worked fine for 3 days.. i let the computer sit on my bench running, restarted it everymorning... Ran PCCHECK on the memory, ran all the performance tests, played enter the matrix on it for 7 hours straight.... shut the computer off for the night thinking, OH GOOD THIS ONE WORKS...... set it on my bench the next day..... BEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP not reading the memory...

So this time i ordered 2 kingston 512 3200 hyper X's. theyve been running in the machine PERFECTLY... not a single glitch.

We've had problems with crucial, and spectek ram a LOT..

Now we only order Kingston, i have not seen a bad stick of KINGSTON ram in over a year, unless the computer was hit with lightning or static or something.

NOW FOR THE VIDEO CARDS.....
    If you want crisp clean and kick ass, STICK WITH THE RADEON, if anything upgrade to the 9800 PRO......

if you want cheap and somewhat good go with Nvidia, the only thing i ever saw good with NVidia was the TNT2 M64 32mbs and the Nforce chipset so far

Im pretty much a hardware tester for work.. the computer i have turned on now, only has screws in the motherboard. no cards are screwed in. because im constantly changing things to test them

Ive used all NVIDIA cards compared to all ATI cards.... Ati's old old old OLD stuff was good but it was crap, like the race IIC's and stuff like that, once they hit the radeon chips, they kick ass, usually ALWAYS throwing NVIDIA out of the water set side by side in the exact same system.

ON THE MOBO/CPU
    Although, on Asus website, it only lists it to go up to a 3.02ghz.....Good choice, Asus boards with P4's are pretty stable, the only stable ones ive seen for AMDs are the kt400, kt600 and the nforce boards. We quit using Asus for the longest time because they were the most unstable with P3 and p2 procs.
    also for p4, you might look into ECS, Gigabyte is ok, PCCHIPS is Ecs's lower quality division, Chaintech, WE LOVE, DFI = cheap crap

ECS has a PF1 motherboard (if you can get a hold of it) has SATA raid and everything on it... is kick ass

MSI has some VERY good boards to use with the p4's, off the top of my head, i know ive used the NEO-FIS2R i think it has the 875P chipset on it, i dont remember and i dont feel like opening another browser to check..

I know there are other mobo manufacturers.... we just dont use them so i cant give my advice and opinion on them.

MOST IMPORTANT IS THE COOLING!!!!!
    if you dont have proper cooling, your gonna get lockups and plenty of errors and crap... none of us want that...

Thermaltake has some very good quality products to use on Cpu's and stuff. the Spark series for the p4, and the volcano series for the athlons... both offer GREAT cooling... on p4's, power users and gamers we usually slap on a spark 7+. I have not yet done a water cooling system but this is something i would LOVE to do and it would probably be the BEST way to go, if you can deal with getting all the piping and stuff so your case isnt cluttered..

Contrary to popular belief you dont need a million fans in the BACK of the case... really all you need is the one in the powersupply and one in the top dead center (between the power supply and the CD drives) to suck out the heat... PUTTING ONE RIGHT NEXT TO THE CPU DOES ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO HELP COOL THE CPU AT ALL... heat rises..... it'll go out throught the power supply and through the vent in the top.

Putting fans in the front of the case are good, cooling the hard drive is GREAT... cooling the cd's are not necessary, but can be done (my asus burner has a fan in the back of it to vent out the heat)

Chipset coolers are nice, memory heat sinks and coolers are nice also, it wont be a totally NOTICABLE differnce cooling the chipset and ram, but in the long run, yeah it could work...

Cooling the video card, especially the radeons is a GREAt idea... that little fan helps but not enough... you would need away to get coolness on BOTH sides of the GPU, cooling the other cards is NOT necessary..

I've also heard thermalelectric cooling is great but i dont like the idea of having to plug in an extra card to an AC plug if its going to be INSIDE the computer (never know when lightning or something will find it, even with UPS and Surge protectors)...

SOUND CARD
    Bravo, excellent choice. Nuff said.

What hard drive, and dvd/cd drives do you have.... what case are you using?....

Sorry about the long post, but im just trying to help a person out..

Everyone has opinions, everyone has horror stories, and success stories... we've been in business nearly 10 years... used every manufacturer for parts and everything and what i just typed to you is based off of our experience and everything...

Although i cant remember some of the things ive used, ive tried to give the best help that i can

Overall you have a good system planned... i would go for the board with the better intel chipset though... since your limited on the board you have written there, and P4's are still going to be developed for a while, at least with the newest board, you may possibly have a way to do the upgrading more.

GOODLUCK..

and people, please dont bash waht ive written... this is just based on 10 years of experience compared to most peoples builds IN THEIR HOME...

ANYONE can build a computer, it takes someone much more than that to understand EVERY PART THEIR IS... which most people DO NOT... they only pick it up and think they know when they dont....

THATS WHAT KEEPS COMPUTER SHOPS IN BUSINESS :) :) :)

12. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

At Officemax, we have a fairly high return rate on Kingston memory, even after you factor out all of the people who just bought the wrong type (ie: PC2700 instead of PC133).

13. psychonate

psychonate I make baby jesus cry

I don’t know jchargu3, I have never had any problems with any of the crucial ram I have purchased for my home or office, combined that’s about 100 sticks plus. I have heard quite the opposite of Kingston, one bad story of incompatibility after another. *shrug*