SRS I have no idea what to do...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by scent of a wookie, Dec 12, 2009.

1. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

I'm stuck in a rut in life, not very happy, and I don't know what to really do next.

Background:
    25 years old, male

Job: I have been working over 2 years for a public utility company making good money (~50k) but I honestly hate my job. I don't know why (maybe because I'm young, new, different, etc) I am treated pretty poorly at work. I have a few friends at work, but I have one guy on my shift who constantly harasses me and a supervisor who fills in for my own supervisor from time to time who harasses me. I actually called the corporate HR office yesterday to talk to them about the supervisor but no one was available to speak and they said they would call me back Monday.

Schooling:
    I went to community college for 2 years and was 3 credits away from a general Associates degree, when I transferred to a 4 year university where I did 'ok' but not great. I left there after 2 years when I started to feel like the degree I was working towards (Kinesiology) wasn't the direction I really wanted to head in. That was the point where I moved back home and applied for the current job.

Housing:
    I bought a pretty nice house almost exactly 1 year ago, it's about 30 minutes away from where I grew up. I spend most of my time doing projects around the house. It keeps me busy which is a good thing. But right now, I'm doing a kitchen remodel that I desperately need to finish.

Family and Friends:

Besides my coworkers, my family is basically all of my social interaction. We are very close which is a great help when I'm down. I have alot of 'friends' but for whatever reason (college, moved away) I don't have any that are close enough to talk to on any regular basis.

Girls:
    I was always really good with girls/women but that seems to have stopped. I have been hanging out with my ex, but I don't know if I see that going anywhere.

Hobbies:
    I workout often (at a YMCA about 30 minutes away or most often in my basement gym), I play volleyball about once a week, I ride my motorcycle and like to work on it when the weather is nice

I know I have it better than alot of people, and I should be grateful for this, but that's not good enough for me. I want to be happy and that's just not the case right now. I applied with the FAA as an Air Traffic Controller, my application was accepted and I took the test and did very well but from the looks of it, it could be years before anything happens with that. The government is so slow at hiring and there has been many postponements in the process. I don't have time for that, I'm not going to work at a soul-killing job in the meantime.

Part of me wants move away and start over (where it's warm) but I don't know if that will change anything, and I'm afraid that I'll be leaving the last piece of the puzzle that is keeping me sane (my family). I've always been a happy person, but I feel like I am dipping into depression :hsd:

Help.

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

From your post, it looks like the biggest issue is being harassed at work or not having a fulfilling job. How do your coworkers harass you?

3. Mr J

Mr J New Member

Life sounds pretty good to me :dunno:

It seems like you just need a bit more social interaction. Maybe try contacting some of your old friends and go out for some beers, talk to some bitches, get laid?

4. Effervescent

Effervescent New Member

I went through this thing where I thought I'd lived my life, like whats the actual point. Not suicidal, but just ABUNDANTLY bored.

You're bored. Bored shitless. Quit your job. That's the first thing, it'll scare the shit out of you.

THEN SELL YOUR HOUSE. DO IT.

Right, now, you feel a bit unsure, SELL everything, you've built it up once, you can do it again.

You're 25. TWENTY FIVE. God! Run away. GO DO STUFF! Book a tour, leave the country for a year. Get excited, meet people! Just leave.

Seriously. You can put this all back again. Leave.

5. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

thanks guys, feels good just to talk about it and get some responses

this is kind of a crazy idea, but I may go and talk to a military recruiter (AF reserve, or Air National Guard) about possible opportunities and help working towards my bachelors degree, just an idea I have been thinking about

6. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

It seems like you're bored with life more than your career a little bit.

If I was in your position, I'd sell all my shit, pack my bags and move somewhere new.

Sometimes I wish I hated my situation enough to do that :rofl: but I really can't complain :hs:

Maybe go on a trip somewhere alone? Back pack Europe or something? Spend a decent amount of money but it will help you grow as a person and might even open your eyes as to what you really want from life.