SRS I have no idea what I want to do with my life.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chucklenut, Dec 17, 2007.

1. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

I cannot join the military because of my criminal record (which also barred me from becoming a cop like my dad was for 12 years.....but thats my own fault)

I jump to different shit all the time of what I want to be. First, plumber. Then, this. Then, that. I can't decide.

I've tried those carreer things that tell you what you like, but I'm never satisfied with them. I do not agree with them.

I am also afraid of starting some sort of work with computers, because I use them often in my spare/relaxation time and I don't want to work with them all day and lose interest.

How does one get over this situation?

I'm under 18 and graduated highschool last Thursday.

Any help is greately appreciated.

2. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

You don't need to jump into a career straight out of High School.

3. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

Actually, according to my current situation, its the best thing I could do. My family and I haven't been the closest (and I'm just going to leave it at that) due to my sister and I's drug abuse and lifestyle.

I need to show them I'm a normal person by starting up my life. They just let me move back in with them. I can't afford to put this away.

4. ABSTRAKT

ABSTRAKT per aspera ad astra

Dunno man..You're extremely young. You're not even 18 yet..Im 21 now and 18 seems so long ago to me..Ive changed so much since then and you will too. I wouldnt worry so much about careers and shit right now..You sound like you're on the right track though..Stay out of trouble, Go to college..Work a few different jobs and it will fall into place eventually. Dont worry yourself to death over things someone your age should not be worrying about. You have all the time in the world.

5. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

Man, you're 18, seriously, don't sweat it. I'm 24 and I'm surrounded by people who are fucking around and have no idea what they want to do. They're working shit jobs, hanging out with their friends all the time, dropping out of community college classes. Young people who really know what they want to do are few and far between.

The best thing you can do is explore your surroundings now. Try new things. Figure out what you like and don't like. The worst thing you can do is go to college just to go. Go because you really and truly want to expand your education and broaden your horizons. Read through a course catalog and find some classes that really sound interesting to you. Community college may be the best place for this due to the cost.

I can already tell that your head is in the right place, and that's the best start.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

You're under 18?? good your criminal record will be gone when you turn 18.

Go forth and sin no more. :) just kidding

What can you do, try many different jobs. Don't become a cop simply cuz daddy was one. Try different things and see if you like them.

There are many books out there that can help you. I liked Zen and The Art of Making A Living. It has a cool approach...it's about finding out what they best job for you would be. Not what your "should be doing" according to your parents or anyone else.

7. sway

sway New Member

:wavey: 24 year old fuck around signing in

I've gone from wanting to be an RN to a psychologist to a lawyer to a pharmacist to a process operator to a drafter to a teacher. I graduated when I was 16 and started college right away....that was in 2000. 7 years later I still do not have a bachelor's in anything. I let my mom's advice steer my major so many times. I wish I had not done that because I think without her added insight maybe I could have figured out what I wanted to do earlier instead of trying to find some compromise to what she wanted me to be and what I wanted to do.
    I'd always thought about teaching and looked up to my teachers when I was in school...I just thought they made pennies and let my mom influence me to find a major that I would make alot of money in so that when she got older I could afford to take care of her. After checking into it, teachers here start off making 40K a year...it's not a lot, but for TX, it's more than enough to be able to support myself on.
    So many times I thought that I shouldn't get my degree in anything unless I was sure that that was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. Now, I just wish I had already finished school and had a degree in something/anything so that I could better support myself and just have to take a test to get my teaching certificate.
    So my advice is: don't let other people (family/friends) influence you or crowd your mind up with their ideas of success. Listen to them for possible majors you may not have known about..sure...just don't let them be the main influence. Think about what YOU like and then try to get a job in that area. Teaching, do some substitute teaching. Pharmacist, become a pharmacy tech. Nursing, become a nurse aide. That way you can see if it's something you are really interested in. Second, just because you major in something, that does not mean you are stuck with that for the rest of your life. I know so many people that went to school, majored in whatever degree, worked in that field for maybe 6 months if at all, and then found a job doing something else.

8. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

Fuck do you know me?

But yeah just as busydoingnothing said, just do your best and it'll come to you. I am still struggling with my career goal and I'm 24, you have all the time buddy.

9. enchantingeyes

enchantingeyes Footsies

Sorry to hijack the thread-but this is a compelling story. What have you decided and what are you doing now?

10. polishillusion

polishillusion New Member

11. shshao

shshao New Member

Your reasoning for avoiding computers is a bad one. Do what you love, and you won't regret it, nor will you have a mid-life crisis/career change.

Don't try to optimize things... just enjoy it. And be patient by trying many things, you're young and have time to discover your true talents.

12. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

people like you are all around me.

"COLLEGE"

"MILITARY"

"DO THIS DO THAT"

im starting to get fucking sick of it...

oh and by the way im not 18 until June First of next year...lol

what im getting from you all is don't rush myself into it....sounds much more relaxing than what i've been doing.

i think i shall try that.

thank you, all!

13. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You have no business complaining about his advice. You came in here and posted a thread about how you don't know what you want to do with your life and how you really need to figure it out soon, so "COLLEGE", "MILITARY", and "DO THIS DO THAT" are the kind of advice you asked for. Apparently what you really wanted was validation that it's okay for you to relax and take your time deciding what to do with your life, and that's fine -- but you need to learn how to ask for what you want instead of asking for people to assault your position so you can defend it in your own mind.

14. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

in the same exact situation as you. check out community college. the one by me guarantees to find you a job if you finsih.

15. sway

sway New Member

I have decided to major in Elementary Education and I have 2 years until I graduate with that major. I start back to school in January for the first time in a couple of years. In the mean-time, I started working a part-time job a couple of months ago to help me pay for my books and tuition in January and I will keep working part-time while going to college. I want to hold off on getting any student loans for as long as I can.

16. deus ex machina

deus ex machina New Member

The best thing to do is to follow your interests and pursue them.

17. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Go to a technical school and see if anything there interests you
    I was going to SIUE for 2 years to be an electrical engineer. Made friends and had some really good times but all in all, I just wanst happy with my career path.
    So I decided to go to the first option I was considering from the get-go.
    I hate anything about school but after I look at where Ive come from Im happy with my decision and I dont look down on where Ive been or look at my time as "wasted" at the other school.
    I figure everything you do in life makes you who you are.

Just hang in there and look at all your options and see what interests you the most. If you really must, then go look into what youd actually be doing once you get out. Thats what I did with my EE. I asked myself if I really wanted to be at a desk all day.

I cant stand to just sit around all day. I have to have a change of tasks. I need to be challened. I need to work with my hands. Thats why I just graduated with my first associates in Electrical Atomated Technology. Basically electrical maintenance.
    Now Im going back in the spring for an associates to learn how to program PLC's and just interviewed at a place that makes machinery and they were talking about how after a while they may even send me to countries around the world to install it in their customers factories

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007