SRS I have no idea how to converse with ppl v.3

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by limited_skillz, Jan 16, 2006.

1. limited_skillz

limited_skillz I'm a dumbass!

So I made a list of potential topics. I made this list a while ago to help me gain some conversation skills, anything I'm missing out on?

->Physicalities
    ~Sexuality
    ~Music
    ~Humor
    ~Sports
    ~Cars
    ~Movies
    ~TV
    ~Experiences
    ~School
    ~Clothes
    Friends
    Travel
    Video Games
    ~Money
    ~Technology
    Politics
    ~Relationships
    Seeking information
    Seeking advice
    Job/Career
    Appreciation of nature
    Philosophy
    Other material items
    Sharing of creations/discoveries
    Animals
    Goals
    Gambling
    Irrefuting/Downplaying claims/instances
    Bartering/Selling
    Extra-curricular activities
    Drama
    Race/Religion/Culture
    Workout
    Nostalgia
    Hypothetical situations
    Phones
    Violence
    Alcohol/Drug Usage
    Seemingly random topics
    Clarifying idiosycracies

2. chickentendah

chickentendah New Member

don't memorize a list...it'll only make you sound phony and forced.....go with the flow....if you encounter uncomfortable silence, maintain eye contact and keep a straight face----it becomes a game of chicken. somebody has to give in to keep the ball rolling. if the person doesnt want to talk any longer, he/she will politely excuse him/herself.

people who are interested in having a conversation will always drop clues in everything they say....just keep chasing the clues and let the person talk

if you keep doing this, they will think you're a great conversationalist---even when all you did is ask questions and listen

HOWEVER, you should always keep a few stock topics with you....just to generate small talk which hopefully results in natural conversation

3. limited_skillz

limited_skillz I'm a dumbass!

I've tried those methods before, and read many books on conversations, but it's just too much general advice. I'm just socially retarded, and all these clues are for people who at least have some ability. I just wasn't taught well by my parents.

I'd always like to go in with stock topics, but can never think of any before hand... what are ones you usually use?

4. chickentendah

chickentendah New Member

i know where you're coming from, because I used to be there (or i still might be :noes: )

here's a really simple excercise that you can put to use tommorrow:

go somewhere that has a lot of activity going on e.g. school campus, shopping, gym

strike up a random icebreaker to a stranger whom u'd like to meet.......your icebreaker must deal with something that's IN-CONTEXT

Example:

Venue: Supermarket
    Subject: girl checking out the cake baking items
    You: walk up near her by her side....make it seem that u're actually doing some shopping okay....ask her a genuine question about baking things

thats it! don't put any pressure on yourself. a conversation does NOT have to result from your comment. if she's an easy going person, she'll want to keep talking. if she doesn't, big whoop---continue shopping.

the best part of this excercise, is that it desensitizes you from talking to strangers. furthermore, you have nothing to memorize. wherever you go, the icebreaker is in front of your eyes.

don't ask me about OUT-OF-CONTEXT situations....for i am still working on those myself

gluck :x: