GUN I have no expierience so excuse me (AR-15)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copeland, Jan 20, 2006.

1. copeland

copeland smarter than you

What makes an AR so great? I mean I personally like them but my expierience goes no further than the pictures I've seen of them. I mean they must perform well?

How about compared to the venerable AK?? I mean I know (once again by pictures and reading only) that they are good cause they have large tolerances in machining which allows the ak to take a lot of crap and it's simple design (7 moving parts, 'grandson' to the sks) heritage.

But what goods does the AR-15 bring to the table I kinda categorize them as a bitch to maintain in fine sand and such...

2. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

an AK is pretty inaccurate, while even the shittiest AR is decent, and when you get a good one, it's extremely accurate.

3. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

AR= American Heritage AK= Terrorist Weapon

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

AK = scares the cops..

Scary = should be illegal

5. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

that is generalizing a lot. you cant claim it as a terrorist weapon because terrorist will use what every they cant get their hands on. if they could afford to buy or that is how ever they get them, they would use the better rifle. but they need to buy a cheap and reliable weapon that wont fail them when they need it.

many of our allie countries us the Ak as there main battle rifle. all of eastern europe, and most of the counties in asia.

i would rather be scaried of an AR round then in AK round. AR rounds like to leave large holes as exit wounds were aks leave smaller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_the_AK-47_and_M16

i see the AR as a rifle that is a little overpriced for what you get. if they were selling ARs for $400 like the AK then you would see more people using them in crime.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I own both AK's and AR's, now for typical plinking range fun both are excellent rifles. The AR definently more accurate especially as shooting distance gets further out. AR is modular you can slap different length and caliber upper recievers on it, I can go from 20" A1 5.56 upper to 16" A4 9mm upper in 30 seconds. Some AR's can be picky with ammo for the most part mine will shoot the cheapest wolf,silver bear, etc with out a hiccup, just doesnt like Brit NATO SS109 :dunno: AR is definently a more maintence instense rifle then the AK, gotta keep it clean oiled.. I dont remember the last time I cleaned my SAR1, I think it was like a year ago :hsugh: In most states .223 is illegal for deer hunting so other then varmint hunting, can't get any game with an AR.

AK's are built inexpensivly as possible they're meant to be used by people with little or no training, and designed to take the neglect of not being properly cared for and keep running, 7.62x39 AK's are accurate enough with iron sights to hit man sized targets out to about 300meters, 5.45/5.56 designs are good about another 100 meters, with optics you can stretch it out a little past that. IMO biggest downside to the AK is the crappy sights, others who've copied the AKA design such as Israel with their Galil improved upon the sight system. AK is .30 cal and 7.62 will have no problem taking a deer down.

IMO you can't really go wrong with either rifle for general range use plinking fun, if your trying for precision accuracy then go with an AR. For general plinking AK is fine. If your planning for some sort of SHTF situation the AK would get the nod for that.

7. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

Since they are all semi autos in civilian form, I would go with an SKS over an AK, so many cheap mods for them, mine has been great and its definately a beater, I can hit small bottles of water (smaller than 20oz) at 100yrds with the iron sights, and I haven't bothered to adjust and play with them.

I might get an AR, but they are pricey, i was thinking about an olympic M4gery for plinking :dunno:

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SKS's are generally a bit more accurate then AK's but I still prefer them, I would however take an SKS-D over any of the romanian AK's, In all honestly you should own both :bigthumb: I took a deer with a sks at 120ish yards, they are good beater rifles for the price.

9. UCLA throwing

UCLA throwing New Member

AK: very cheap, waterproof, jams like hell, widest distributed weapon, inaccurate

AR:a little pricey, extreme accuracy (.5 groupings at 100 yards gauaranteed), doesnt jam, very practical, American made

My choice....definitely the AR....the only reason people in the United States know about the Ak is because every rap singer owns one and sings about it

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:rofl: AK jams? In the 10 years ive owned AK's I can the number of jams I've had on my hands, cannt say the same for the AR in the couple years I've had them jammed alot more then any AK.

11. striker754

striker754 Chillin

ahahahahahahahahah ak jams like hell? Goddamn, get off the ar balls. You pretty much have it reversed.

AK: cheap, indestructible, never jams, always goes bang, most produced, accurate enough, nice .30 cal round

AR: expensive, more accurate, unreliable, .223 :greddy:

Who gives a shit if the gun is made in America? Some countries can churn out a product better than US companies. When was the last time you heard of an AK blowing up?

12. UCLA throwing

UCLA throwing New Member

apparently you do not shoot for groupings or accuracy...the only AK-47;s which are accurate have new barrels put on them for example the ones which were being used by snipers on vietnam or the Dragunovs.....the Ak47 after 100 yards is worthless because of the design of the 7.62X39 bullet...because the bulet isnt stable in the air...which is why the ak is a dirty round as many have learned from vietnam....the ar15 is used to shoot at 500 yards at the standard test that all marines take wen they go to recruit training or when they are testing for marksmanship...

i rather have a accurate rifle then one that wont kill a human 2 football fields away....

the reason AK james is because it has a high rate of fire....

if you cant afford an ar15 the ak47 would be a good choice...but money aside the ar15 always comes out on top

13. Accord

Accord New Member

okay..... so it's a Soviet Union/North Korean/Vietcong commie bastard weapon.

14. kill_turu_kill

kill_turu_kill Turu the Terrible OT Supporter

Step awaaayyyy from the crack pipe.....

15. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love both weapons I own both of them. Noones going to argue that the AK is a precision weapon it wasn't designed for that, its accurate enough for what it was designed for I can hit man sized targets all day with it at 300 yards, 5.45 is even a bit more accurate good enough to hit man sized targets at 400 yards all day. In thick brush/jungle the 7.62x39 is a bit better, not going to be as deflected by brush as the light 5.56 round. Never heard of the AK being used as a sniper rifle the SVD/Tigr/Dragunov is a totally different animal its not an AK, closest thing to an AK sniper rifle is the Romanian PSL based off the AK but it doesnt shoot 7.62x39. All my AK jams were mag related, never had a jam while bumping, other then for fun I wouldnt use an AK on full auto anyway I prefer aimed fire over spray and pray. And if an AK wont kill anyone at 2 football fields wanna stand 4 football fields away from me while I take 1 shot at you?

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some of allies do use them too such as Poland and other E. European countries.

17. Accord

Accord New Member

Why is the AR-15 better?

Because it's made in America, therefore it AUTOMATICALLY is better than everything else on the face of the planet.

18. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

*cough* lowest bidder *cough*

19. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Yeah. I enjoy the educated comments as well as the assclown comments. This impacts me, as I am currently at an indecision to buy a new Vepr-II in .223 or try and find a used AR.

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you want accuracy AR, The VEPR is a great rifle and more accurate then typical AK, but the AR will outshoot it with out a doubt. But the VEPR accuracy is fine for varmint hunting and plinking. If they ever make a VEPR .308 that takes high cap's I will be getting that :o

21. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Yeah I know about the accuracy differences, but the vepr is supposed to be the "most accurate AK." I've never shot one, and since everything on the internet is true, it has to be. Seriously though I can live with 3 MOA at 100 Yards. I'm not going to taking out zombies at 1000 yards any time soon. But I do want optics and I just hate the side mount of AK's.

Standard chrome lined barrels, standard two stage triggers, signifigantly cheaper and its an AK so the reliability is there. Its just that damn optics mount... :wtc:

22. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In that case the VEPR will give you what you want. Whats the problem with the siderails? they do sell new top covers with rings and rails on them personally I dont care for them cause the cover isn't fixed and can be shifted slightly throwing your zero off.

23. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Like i said I've never shot one, but I've heard that it is hard to keep zero on those side rail mounts. And that the top mounts are worthless. I really wish I knew someone that has one so I could shoot it. The only AK i've handled was a WASR.

24. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've used siderail mounts on my sar2 and tigr, no problems with either not keeping zero :dunno: only siderail complaints I've heard were related to early romanian imports having the rails mounted crooked.

25. striker754

striker754 Chillin

:rofl: :rofl:

No. james? jams? No it doesnt. I doubt you have ever fired an AK. I've emptied 30 rd mags in 3-4 seconds. Thats between 7.5 and 10 rnds/sec. Hmm similar to the 600/min that the AK shoots full auto. No jams here even bump firing. Full auto with an auto sear would be even smoother cause the gun isn't bouncing around everywhere. You sound like you have Eugene Stoner's balls lodged in your throat.

2 football fields? I'd gladly shoot at you at that range. Shall we make a date?

More advantages to the AK: Cheaper ammo, and will feed anything, unlike the AR. Seems a lot of people's can't take Wolf :greddy: a "military" weapon that can't take miltary ammo...

AR15 has its place as a target gun. The ONLY advantage it has in combat is lightweight ammo. Thats it.

Its obvious you know nothing about what you are talking about, a Dragonov is not just an AK with a new barrel :ugh2: