WEB I have no experience, how difficult would it be?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NgrLvr, Jul 14, 2008.

1. NgrLvr

NgrLvr Guest

To build a site comparable to http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/hm/

By comparable, I just mean the overall look. The drop down menus. I am trying to put something together for our local hockey league and no one else has the initiative to do anything of the sort.

At the very most it would be a cover page, a main page, stats, standings, scores, a message board(vbulletin) and an about/directions page.

If I had someone design it for me, how much should I expect to pay?

2. Browning

Browning Active Member

jesus christ that's cluttered as fuck:rofl:

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

use a CMS :dunno: even if you don't know what you're doing, you can get a decent Joomla-based site up and running in no time. look around and try out different CMSs and find one you like

http://www.opensourcecms.com/

4. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

I just put up http://rollerhockeyucf.com for our club, and used wordpress for the plugin. Obviously it's not as dynamic as something custom coded, but it works well.

5. NgrLvr

NgrLvr Guest

Wow, thats pretty comparable to what I would like to make. I think i'll give it a shot. If I get anything reasonable together I'll make sure to post a link.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

6. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Can't go wrong with these guys...
    http://www.teamsporttech.com/

You pay a monthly fee for the service (they also host the site) but it is UBER-easy for anyone (with user access) to edit. You can give access to certain people in your league so that they can update the site and you do it all within IE (or other browser).

I have a site through them...let me know if you have any questions.

7. themolsen

themolsen New Member

way better than the site the OP linked too, IMO. less cluttered, easier to navigate, more pleasant typography, "quieter"

8. YourMomOnRyeBun

Ironic that a kid in a dorm room can create or more "easy on the eyes" website than a big budget professional league

9. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

I live off campus, sir.

10. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

http://www.echohockey.com/ has their site through them, if OP wanted to see it with hockey content

11. NgrLvr

NgrLvr Guest

Jesus, their cheapest option is basically $1000 a year, $65 a month for hosting? I doubt we would get more then 100 visitors in a given week..

All of the sites look pretty cookie cutter too. I may go with the first option instead.

12. themolsen

themolsen New Member

yea man. go with Wordpress and cheaper hosting. I use Godaddy, but there are plenty of other cheap hosting options you can use. wordpress is ridiculously easy to install and use

13. YourMomOnRyeBun

Depends what your purpose is, budget, etc. If you have to pay someone (web designer) to maintain your website, edit, etc...versus having the ability to have just about anyone in your organization able to modify the site...the $65 is a bargain. But, if you have decent skills and don't mind doing the work yourself, or you are on a tight budget...go with another (cheaper) option.

Cookie cutter...sure, but a hockey (or any sports league) is trying to convey information, not win an award for originality, therefore functionality >>> originality

14. NgrLvr

NgrLvr Guest

Well part of this is about setting ourselves away from the rest. Our "rival" league, who we are attempting to steal players from has a very similar website. I need something that gets peoples attention and gives them something to remember.

$65 a month seems pretty steep, considering the only thing that will need updated is adding pictures and updating stats. Getting the barebones of the site built would be worth it but after that is all done, maintaining really isn't worth the $65.

The only foreseeable thing I would add in the future would be a webcam that shows the rink. Obviously I have no clue how to add something like that to a site or the hardware needed. Thats a ways down the line though and I would expect the city to pickup some of the tab.

15. YourMomOnRyeBun

How big is your league?
    How many people within your organization know html? Or use Dreamweaver (or similar program)?
    News articles, current schedule, frequently updated game pictures, scores, etc will go a long way in setting your league apart from the competition?

16. NgrLvr

NgrLvr Guest

We have around 30 people and probably the potential to have a couple hundred people if things get off the ground. With that being said, no one has any initative to do this. Just a bunch of college guys that all have great ideas about promoting the league but the most they're willing to do is make some shitty ad in Ms Word and hang it up around campus.

Im sure there are people with experience building websites but again, none of them care enough to do it themselves.

And yes, the other website is very primitive, it looks like a noob like myself built it. Which is fine but I would like to "Wow" some of those guys over to our league and make it seem that its worth it to drive the extra 15-20 minutes. With that being said, the other league's site is getting better by the week and they already have a large group of people playing and even more interested in joining

On the other hand, our rink is better. Hell, they don't even have a rink, they play on a tennis court with no boards and PVC pipe style nets. We have a nearly full sized rink with boards, lines, lights, benches, the whole shot.

The problem is, their league is in a big city and we're in the suburbs and its relatively unknown.

17. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

I would never choose my league based on a website. Build a solid league and word of mouth will get you the most players.

18. NgrLvr

NgrLvr Guest

Well I've been playing here for 12 years and that word of mouth method has resulted in inconsistent pickup games at best. With that being said, the other league didn't exist until this year and with this website went from a couple guys playing around in a tennis court to a pay league with 10 teams.

The owner/creator of said league has gone out of his way to down play our league, the level of play and the rink itself. Hes also gone out of his way to bash our summer tournament and the cost $130 for teams of up to 12 skaters and a goalie.

For some reason, the ten miles that separates cities is enough to stop any "talk". Most of the guys in that league had no idea that we even had a rink.

19. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄