I have new fender and hood, both with fresh paint. How long do I need to wait before

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by KingGargantuan, Aug 27, 2002.

1. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

washing, waxing, and polishing?

Polish - there's some hard-to-see residue on the tailgate where old dealer stickers were removed. There's also tape-residue from where they replaced the windshield this time.

Also a lil bit of tape residue on the new hood, as well as some rain spots, etc. I don't think they waxed it after painting.

so how long do I need to wait before doing this? I don't really need to polish the entire truck, just the non-new painted areas.

Hood, roof, left front fender/quarter panel were painted (and possibly part of the driver's side door was painted or blended to match fender)

Thinking of polishing the bed's outer walls and the tailgate.

(pics of why it's being painted... http://www.kinggargantuan.com/brokeds10 )

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

If it's dry, you can wash and polish immediately. Do not wax for 60-90 days. The new paint needs time to fully cure.

3. Dave C

Dave C Guest

Definitely no wax and no drive through car washes for 90 days. If the new paint needs polishing take it back to the paint shop and have them do it. I myself wouldn't touch new paint with anything but soap and water for 90 days.

4. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

yea.. I'll leave it alone for 90 days.

Just soap and water. (car soap, not dish soap. :big grin: )

I'm gonna get my polish and wax list together and start the UPS Truck on it's way to my house. :)

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You can polish it just fine, no worries. :o I don't know what you're talking about.

6. Dave C

Dave C Guest

I'm just going on instructions given by paint shops I've used for panel repairs and complete repaints. Their guidance has always been the same. Not an expert on the subject just shareing info I've been given.:)

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

If a paint shop tells you you can't polish your car, do this: :slap:

8. Dave C

Dave C Guest

They didn't say "no polish" they all said "no polish for 90 days". Now that advise may be geared towards the less knowlegable/experienced. I'd rather err towards the safe side and give the paint a good while to fully cure before touching the surface with anyrthing but soap and water.

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You're probably right. I'm guessing they're dealing with less experienced consumers. But we're all experts here, right? :cool:

10. Dave C

Dave C Guest

If I was an expert I'm not sure I'd be here trying to learn more on how to keep my ride sharp. It's getting a new custom paint job at the moment and I want to make sure it stays at its peek.:)