I have just this 1 ugly spot.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by somebody5788, Jul 20, 2008.

1. somebody5788

somebody5788 New Member

So I bought this Audi a couple of weeks ago and most of it looks great but the drivers side rear door has this large rust spot from being backed into supposedly. I am just wondering what you guys think should be the cost to have the door repainted by a professional. I have a local shop that I trust and have seen some very quality results from. The other option is I have the equipment to repaint the door but not sure whether I should. If I order the paint will it be a close enough color match or would the paint shop do better? Its the oem color paint code LZ9U. Just trying to get some options. How much would the paint cost to do it myself? Here is a reference picture of the damage/ rust.
    [​IMG]

2. Original

Original OT Supporter

i got 2 doors repaired (small dings) and resprayed a week ago for $170 a door :dunno:

you can do it yourself but in my experience i won't respray vertical panels like doors anymore.. too prone to running and orange peel imo pros handle it better

what year is the audi? if you get duplicolor it's spot on

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Don't cheap out on paint and body. Get it fixed and get it fixed right. May cost you a bit more but 5 years from now when the repaired area still looks great you'll be glad you had it done right.

4. somebody5788

somebody5788 New Member

It's a 1999 A4 Quattro. I was honestly expecting the $300 range to fix so that makes me feel a bit better. Scottwax what would be not cheaping out in your opinion because I agree I don't want to have to redo it in a year. I think I might be able to find a good condition junk yard door still. I found one for 125 but I need pictures before I am going to buy one. Need funds to do anything though lol. Need to buff out a few scratches too but I don't think there too deep to take care of. Looks like someone set a box on the trunk and dragged it off...

5. Pussysmith

Pussysmith Banned

Don't go buying doors. See what the shop says. If its not bad they can tap it out, do a skim coat of mud, and paint it. This done properly could outlive the rest of the paint on the car.

6. Original

Original OT Supporter

you need to shop around because i bunch of places quoted me $300 a door at first.

if you can get the color it's a quick way out. cheaper and faster, just have to swap the door handles/locks and you're good

7. somebody5788

somebody5788 New Member

It's not even dented it just needs sanded to clean metal thin bondo layer and then painted and blended in w/ the rest. I would have to do the whole door if I repainted it though.

8. Scottwax

:uh: Don't shop around for the cheapest price, shop around for the best work. My brother shopped around for the cheapest price and he got the cheapest, shittiest paint/body I've ever seen. Took him 18 months and a lawsuit to straighten everything out.

9. Original

Original OT Supporter

i'll :werd: you on that though quality isn't synonymous with price

came out perfect, the place was legit as hell. some places just want a premium for their work

10. Scottwax

Generally, if a shop is well below the average of other shops on the same repair, they are cutting corners, using inferior paints, etc.

11. DeepRun™

DeepRun™ Guest

They use oils as a base for paint. And the price of that isn't exactly cheap nowadays.