I have Cingular, I have $250, I need a cell phone...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by orangespider, Jan 31, 2005.

1. orangespider

orangespider This is the title that appears beneath your name o

best cell phone <= 250 from cingular is...

2. vinnymack

vinnymack New Member

wait till the razr gets about around that price..

3. orangespider

:noes: how long do you think that will be? right now i'm without a cell phone for the first time in 4 years and i can barely function. but if that price is going to be dropping anytime soon, i'd love the razr. anyone know anything about the mororola mpx220?

4. Chris

Chris New Member

v551

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

you can buy my nokia 6620 for less than that. its one of the top 3 phones out based on functionality.

6. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

ugh, I'm so tired of everyone thinking the 551 is such a great phone. They've been plauged with horrible software, and the fix for that has now resulted in about half of them having extremely poor battery life issues(less than 1 day standby time!) due to whatever they did with the firmware to fix the whitescreen issue

If you want the best phone for that money, go straight to Nokia 6230. Its not a flip, and a lot of people say its ugly (I don't get that part :dunno: ).
    By far my favorite phone to sell. Its got everything

- expandable MMC card up to 1gb
    - video recording
    - amazing camera (way better than the 1.x megapixel from other manufacturers)
    - MP3 player (load up your 1gb card with a ton of music and get some decent headphones)
    - FM radio
    - Bluetooth
    - Speakerphone
    - Infrared
    - triband (nokia doesn't sell a quadband in the US yet)
    - Edge highspeed data (was surfing OT at 180k via bluetooth using the phone as the modem)

Seriously this phone is amazing and I think they just dropped in price again. Should be able to pick it up for about $150. I paid $300 for mine before they were released and would pay have paid up to $500 for it, its that good.

The best thing about it is you don't have any of the moto slow menus or bugged up software. Save yourself the hassle and skip the v551

Also, if you're thinking about getting a data plan to go with it, act fast. Media works will get you unlimited data right now, but feb 11th it drops to only 3mb

(disclaimer: This is based on what I see everyday working for Cingular, and my own personal experiences both at work and outside of work)

7. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

For the money, I'd get the Nokia 6230 over the V551 but that's just because I like the least hassle with text messaging and general functionality for phones I use.

8. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

The Motorola MPX-220 is 200 bux with activation at Best Buy right now...i'm still waiting/hoping the price will lower but am seriously thinking of just biting.

Smart Phone, video playback...any reason NOT to get one?

9. zennoodle

For that price, that's sweet! I'm not into flips so I would get the i-mate SDA smartphone which is like the mpx-220 except candy bar. :)

10. BlackWRX02

Thats what I'm using right now. Be careful if you buy from best buy. Make SURE you get the latest firmware or you'll hate it. All kind of volume issues. I know best buy had the first 30 day exclusive on it and that was a very bad batch of firmware. As far as I know, they just sold through it and didn't send it back for fixed units.

its nice, but the camera is pure shit on it. Very slow, choppy and horrible image quality if you're looking to just point and shoot. The phone itself is very nice. Only real bug, and they all do it, is when you answer there is about a 1/2 second delay before the person on the other end can hear you. Very annoying

11. orangespider

i think i'm in love with the mpx220, if i were to order from cingular.com, would i be getting the latest firmware on it? are there any issues with the updated phone? i love the look and the features. what are some negatives about this phone?

12. zennoodle

It really depends on when and which warehouse it ships from concerning firmware. Updating it yourself is a big pain in the ass. I'm still playing with mine. :)

13. orangespider

:x:

as a side note, when i was trying to research the phone a little bit (mpx220) i came across a lot of sites that featured the phone in silver and also a black colorway. were both released?

14. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

Hey I have a question for you 220 owners...

is it easy to view DIVX files on the phone? Can you view them sideways, so that you use the entire screen for widescreen video clips?

Does it have a mini-jack headphone out for listening to mp3's and stuff?

I still can't believe this phone isn't enormously popular, the idea of watching video alone on a phone is amazing to me.

15. BlackWRX02

just as mobilzen said, it all depends on where it comes from. Best bet is to call customer service, tell them you want the online price, but want to be 100% certain you are getting the latest firmware. Check your local store first, and if they do have the latest firmware (check it, don't take the reps word, half of the reps in my store don't even know what the word firmware means), tell customer service you want to pick it up in the store. They will note your account and as long as thats there, the store should be able to get it to you at that price, assuming the price is different in the store. Keep in mind you need to do this at a Corp. Owned retail Cingular.

As for bugs, there really aren't any other than the 1/2 second delay on answering a call. I've not yet used it for video, I dont have a miniSD card, and don't want to spend the money on one. Does have a standard mini headphone jack on the upper left side of the phone, you'll probably need an adapter for a good set of headphones.

Some people still say they have volume issues with theirs, but I don't really have any with mine. Every now and then its a little hard to hear, but its mainly because I dont have it posistioned on my head exactly right. :uh:

16. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

i was watching full-length movies on my phone back with the 3650. that's nothing new. :dunno:

fairly new for a moto since they have been slow to come out with phones with expandable memory, but i had my 3650 back almost three years ago (whenever it was they came out - it replaced my P.O.S. SE T68i).

17. maczter

:werd:

i actually did pay $500 for my euro 6230 last summer. :o

V551 isn't bad, but if you prefer a flip phone, i'd get a basic temporary phone and wait a month or two for the V635...

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=668

18. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

^^ sweet...but I still would never be able to take a 3650 out of my pocket in public lol..I hate the way those things are designed. TM'ing would be so tedious

19. orangespider

i can watch videos on this phone... :eek3:

sign me up.

thanks for all your help guys. i'm gonna get the mpx220.

20. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

:bigthumb:

Please let me know how much you get it for/where, etc...the details

I have seen this phone go for less than $200 on certain promotions...I was going to hold off until another promo came along but VERY tempted to drop the 200 bux...

21. maczter

true. that's why i watch movies on my 6230 now instead. :)

22. BlackWRX02

only downfall to the 6230 is screen size :sad2:

I had smartmovie on my 6620 and that was :bowdown: but i hated the size of the phone. was like carrying a PDA around in my pocket (not that my MPX is THAT much smaller, that fucker is THICK)

23. maczter

yep.

big phone/big screen or small phone/small screen.

until they figure out how to defy physics by putting a large screen in a small phone, you can only pick one. :)

24. BlackWRX02

the way things are flipping, folding, and sliding....i doubt it will be long :noes:

25. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

Audiovox 5600 I think managed to do it.

I've been thinking of getting this phone as well...but it's only with At&t and that means I would probably have to pay retail price which'll probably be a shit load of money